A Polling Free-Fall Among Blacks (just 2% support Bush)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:52:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  A Polling Free-Fall Among Blacks (just 2% support Bush)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: A Polling Free-Fall Among Blacks (just 2% support Bush)  (Read 1991 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2005, 07:32:37 PM »

Vorlon has seen the light and swiched camps.  He will soon be changing his name to "The Shadows".

I'd prefer an answer from someone who isn't mentally ill.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2005, 07:49:03 PM »

To think of this intuitively, if you want to know the true probability of flipping a coin (almost 50/50) you have to get a really big sample to determine that it actually is 50/50. - Even with a sample of 1000 about 1/3 of your samples will be out by 3% (ie 515 to 485 or more)

By contrast, You need to flip very few coins to determine that coins usually land on one of their faces, and very rarely stand up on their edge after you flip them...

I saw a D-CA avatar and a post about coin flipping... I was about to start throwing things.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2005, 09:30:37 PM »

To think of this intuitively, if you want to know the true probability of flipping a coin (almost 50/50) you have to get a really big sample to determine that it actually is 50/50. - Even with a sample of 1000 about 1/3 of your samples will be out by 3% (ie 515 to 485 or more)

By contrast, You need to flip very few coins to determine that coins usually land on one of their faces, and very rarely stand up on their edge after you flip them...

I saw a D-CA avatar and a post about coin flipping... I was about to start throwing things.

Yeah, but I can say with 100% confidence you would have missed the poster.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2005, 09:40:37 PM »

Yeah, but I can say with 100% confidence you would have missed the poster.

Perhaps, but is that statistically significant?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies