What would be easier to prove?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 10:35:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What would be easier to prove?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What would be easier to prove?
God does exist

God doesn't exist

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: What would be easier to prove?  (Read 2780 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2005, 02:05:00 AM »

I believe neither can be proved unless god returns to Earth and shows his magical powers.  As an atheist I believe the Bible is a poorly written fictional book that is way to popular (like Moby Dick), despite many people trying to convince me otherwise.  On the other hand, religion is about blind faith, the truly religious people will never be proven wrong in their minds because the only way they will believe they were wrong is if there is no afterlife, and if there isn't they will never know due to being dead.

Since the non existance of a god can't be proven, aren't you succumbing to blind faith by being an atheist?
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2005, 05:20:23 PM »

God does exist.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2005, 10:21:08 PM »

I believe neither can be proved unless god returns to Earth and shows his magical powers.  As an atheist I believe the Bible is a poorly written fictional book that is way to popular (like Moby Dick), despite many people trying to convince me otherwise.  On the other hand, religion is about blind faith, the truly religious people will never be proven wrong in their minds because the only way they will believe they were wrong is if there is no afterlife, and if there isn't they will never know due to being dead.

Since the non existance of a god can't be proven, aren't you succumbing to blind faith by being an atheist?

No. You have Occam's razor to back you up there (if there's no evidence for it, discard it).

Note: I am not an atheist.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2005, 10:23:45 PM »

No. You have Occam's razor to back you up there (if there's no evidence for it, discard it).

Occam's Razor dictates what is more likely to be true, but you are going much further than Occam's Razor if you assert that it is true.  If you have no evidence that something is true, believing that it is indeed true is nothing but faith, plain and simple.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2005, 10:31:27 PM »

Occam's Razor dictates what is more likely to be true, but you are going much further than Occam's Razor if you assert that it is true.  If you have no evidence that something is true, believing that it is indeed true is nothing but faith, plain and simple.

True, and a distinction which caused me to abandon my atheism.

Atheists accept on faith that no dieties exist

Christians accept on faith that there is ONLY one diety
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2005, 11:49:37 PM »

Ahh, yes.  I've pointed this out to a number of atheists.  The proper skeptic can only be an agnostic.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2005, 09:36:16 AM »

Ahh, yes.  I've pointed this out to a number of atheists.  The proper skeptic can only be an agnostic.

That's something I've also pointed out. Go agnosticism! Grin
The Constitarian
Rookie

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2005, 09:16:04 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

In a way yes.  I have read the Bible and just thought it was a fictional book.  Somedays I admire people who can blindly believe in a higher meening but I believe in working towards the goal of a good and eventfull life because in a relatively short time by history timelines I will be worm food and only have a short time to accomplish greatness.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies