Veganism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:55:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Veganism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Veganism  (Read 7564 times)
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2005, 12:22:11 PM »

I'd rather die than be a vegetarian or vegan.
Id rather die than eat meat again. Tongue
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2005, 12:31:59 PM »

I can arrange that for both of you.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2005, 12:38:10 PM »

No offense, but I like chicken and turkey WAY too much to give up on them...

I was watching this show of Discovery Health Channel where this Vegan mom was almost starving her infant daughter because she wouldn't give her anything but her own milk but she was almost 2...  Not much milk left...  Oh, yeah, she wouldn't vaccinate her child because of some animal products.  Basically, she would be alright with allowing her child to get TB or something and die when she could have prevented it... girrr...

I saw this comedian when I was flipping through the channels when I flew JetBlue (Haha... so awesome).  I don't remember his name but he had a Vegan skit something like this (from memory):

"In college, I dated this girl... she was a VEGAN.  Vegan is latin for WACKO. 

"Anyway, I took her to a coffee shop one weekend for a bite to eat.  She ordered some herbal tea and I ordered coffee.  When the waitress brought over our drinks, I grabbed an Equal packet and dumped it into the coffee.

"My girlfriend stared at me and said in a low voice, 'I don't believe in sugar...'

"I stared back and shouted, 'What?  How can you say you don't believe in SUGAR?  I can understand not believing in the Easter Bunny or Jesus but... sugar?  It's right in front of you!  It's not like they sell Jesus packets!  Face it, girl, SUGAR EXISTS!"

Rin-chan
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2005, 01:52:10 PM »

I was watching this show of Discovery Health Channel where this Vegan mom was almost starving her infant daughter because she wouldn't give her anything but her own milk but she was almost 2...  Not much milk left...  Oh, yeah, she wouldn't vaccinate her child because of some animal products.  Basically, she would be alright with allowing her child to get TB or something and die when she could have prevented it... girrr...
That angers me! Angry What ignorance! Starve a child just because your Vegan!?! Way to be tolerant and let the kid make her own choices. 'My child doesnt need to be protected from diseases!'. What an idiot Angry
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2005, 02:06:26 PM »

That angers me! Angry What ignorance! Starve a child just because your Vegan!?! Way to be tolerant and let the kid make her own choices. 'My child doesnt need to be protected from diseases!'. What an idiot Angry

I know... It's so stupid!  And the mother wouldn't sleep with her husband anymore and made him sleep on the couch so she could sleep with the child in her bed so she could 'watch her and control her life at all times'.

And she was obsessed with making the child a genius and teaching her Spanish and stuff... THE KID WAS NOT EVEN 2!!!

Poor kid...

Rin-chan
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2005, 02:20:21 PM »

I know... It's so stupid!  And the mother wouldn't sleep with her husband anymore and made him sleep on the couch so she could sleep with the child in her bed so she could 'watch her and control her life at all times'.

And she was obsessed with making the child a genius and teaching her Spanish and stuff... THE KID WAS NOT EVEN 2!!!

Poor kid...

Rin-chan
im glad im not the kid. Somebody needs to get that kid away from that mother. Sad
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2005, 03:28:11 PM »

Hey!  What they said sounds horrible, but that is what they said.  I've been on the other side of the fence, they are just like kids, they exaggerate so that their side sounds even better.

1. Breastmilk has a lot of protein in it, she wouldn't be starving.

2. Breastmilk doesn't run out, it's a matter of supply and demand.  I know, my mom breastfeeds.

3. I don't know where it is, but a lot of people on this forum are against vaccinations, (including me.)  They have a lot of awful stuff in them.  I've never taken one, by my own choice, and I've never had anything worse than a 24 hour flu.

4. Control her life at all times?  What?!?!  Who said that?  Also, are you sure the dad sleeps on the couch?  And, if he does, don't you think it may have been his idea?

5. Is there something wrong with co-sleeping with your children?

6. I'm not sure about teaching the kid Spanish, but I think it might be a good idea to try to teach the kid a different language when it's young, as long as it's not forced.

7.  Take the kid away?  Are you nuts?  Do you know all the problems with CPS there are?
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2005, 06:38:10 PM »

I'm a vegan.  I don't care if other people eat meat, but don't expect me to.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2005, 06:42:42 PM »

Oh, and as for vaccinations, none of my kids are gonna get any.  If you think vaccinations are actually good for you, you have a lot of reading to do.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2005, 06:53:35 PM »

Since moving to TX, I've found that I've nearly completely lost my taste for red meat. The look and smell of Mexican and Tex/Mex (the two are actually different catagories) are equally nauseating.

But I haven't given up meat. My taste for fish is expanding exponentially, even though fish is damned expensive in this state. I also like eggs, too.

I'm skinny enough as it is -- if I gave up those rich sources of protein, I'd simply blow away.

And, to be truthful, I enjoy vegetarian meals. They are usually pretty tasty, and they don't give me  severe bouts of indigestion like grilled cow does. But, those vegetarian meals are on the whole lacking something:

Oh, yes, meat.

From the movie Spartacus: "Some people only eat oysters. A few people only eat snails. As for me, I enjoy both"

Of course, that Roman patrician was referring to bisexuality, and not food, but my idea towards meat and vegetables is the same.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2005, 06:56:02 PM »

Oh, and as for vaccinations, none of my kids are gonna get any.  If you think vaccinations are actually good for you, you have a lot of reading to do.

Then don't expect the rest of us to pay for your kids iron lung therapies when they catch the diptheria.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2005, 07:00:24 PM »

I'm not and they won't.  Like I said, start reading and get educate yourself.  Just because Pfizer, Merck, and SmithGlaxoKline say you need to vaccinate people doesn't mean it is true.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2005, 07:08:37 PM »

I'm not and they won't.  Like I said, start reading and get educate yourself.  Just because Pfizer, Merck, and SmithGlaxoKline say you need to vaccinate people doesn't mean it is true.

But it is exactly what I am saying.

You are placing your (hypothetical future) kids' health in the hands of other people, who may or may not be contagious with those horrific "childhood" diseases.

There is a resurgence of polio and whooping cough in the Mexican border states (TX, CA, etc.) because unvaccinated illegals are spreading those diseases among themselves and among American kids whose parents haven't updated their shots.

I suppose you can go ahead and believe what you will. Just do so behind the razor wire of your quarantine internment camp.

Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2005, 07:33:44 PM »

I'll concur that veganism is a bit much, but I am a proud vegetarian for almost a year now. I feel better than ever, and no guilt anymore. Plus it brings me one step closer to being equal to all living things. Vegetarianism is something that I will suggest all at least try.
Being equal to all living things?  Don't tell me you think humans are equal to insects or moss.
moss? no. Insects. hhhhhhmmmmmm.....undecided. Cow? Certainly.
Hmm, I'm not too thrilled that I might be equal to an insect or a cow.

Seriously, though, how and where do you draw the line? If you believe that a cow has the same rights as a human, then why not an insect?
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2005, 08:26:06 PM »

I'll concur that veganism is a bit much, but I am a proud vegetarian for almost a year now. I feel better than ever, and no guilt anymore. Plus it brings me one step closer to being equal to all living things. Vegetarianism is something that I will suggest all at least try.
Being equal to all living things?  Don't tell me you think humans are equal to insects or moss.

Seriously, though, how and where do you draw the line? If you believe that a cow has the same rights as a human, then why not an insect?

We all know you fall below a cow in any reasonable system.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2005, 09:10:41 PM »

We all know you fall below a cow in any reasonable system.

If someone as intelligent and reasonable as Emsworth is below a cow, where does someone like opebo stand?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2005, 09:12:24 PM »

He kneels
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2005, 09:27:01 PM »

And you crouch
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2005, 10:24:55 PM »

you shouldn't be thrilled.  nor should you be afraid, angry, or grossed-out.  Saying cows and people have the same rights really isn't a problem, and its logical conclusion certainly isn't vegetarianism.  cows and insects have the same rights as you do.  If the gods put a machete in a field, they would say, "Okay whichever one of you grasps the knife first, and kills the other first, can eat the other."  I think, to some extent, you can argue that insects, cows, and humans do have the same fundamental rights.  At least, they all have the right to try to eat one another, if desired.  And, in fact, if you die in a field, and no one buries you, insects will eat you.  Moreover, even when they do bury you, as inevitably, someone will bury your cold, dead, lifeless body, the vermin will eat you anyway.  But cows probably won't.  And it'll be their right not to. 
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2005, 03:16:07 AM »

And how happy would you be if your Mom randomly was killed for meat? That wouldnt make me too thrilled. Tongue
It's the simple fact of nature that a hierarchy is established.
one of which i am helping to derail.
Speed, let me reflexively apply a situation to you:
You say that we are equal to cows.  Now if somebody had a gun and said you had to choose between a dairy cow and your mother, which would live and which would die; please don't say that it's an equal choice or even a hard choice to make.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2005, 10:00:31 AM »

And how happy would you be if your Mom randomly was killed for meat? That wouldnt make me too thrilled. Tongue
You say that we are equal to cows.  Now if somebody had a gun and said you had to choose between a dairy cow and your mother, which would live and which would die; please don't say that it's an equal choice or even a hard choice to make.

No, better question - let's choose between a human that you don't know and a dairy cow you don't know. If he has to select between his mother and a cow, his mother has a personal attatchment that would weigh in.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2005, 10:46:38 AM »

No, better question - let's choose between a human that you don't know and a dairy cow you don't know. If he has to select between his mother and a cow, his mother has a personal attatchment that would weigh in.

What about say....Opebo and a Dairy cow....well I'd choose Opebo in that match up. lol
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2005, 12:23:42 PM »

As long as they aren't forcing me away from my brisket, I have no problem with their eating habits. Pork eating is worse than veganism by great distances.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2005, 12:31:39 PM »

As long as they aren't forcing me away from my brisket, I have no problem with their eating habits. Pork eating is worse than veganism by great distances.

No, pork is perhaps one of the best meats out there! I'd recommend you to a BLT! Awesome.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2005, 01:24:23 PM »

hey, he brought my mom into it Tongue   But I suppose you're right
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies