Confirmation Hearing: MAS117 (Defense)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:17:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: MAS117 (Defense)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: MAS117 (Defense)  (Read 4616 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2005, 12:14:39 PM »

I call the confirmation hearing for Secretary of Defense-designate MAS117 to order.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 12:22:06 PM »

I don't really like MAS but there's no reason to vote against him or really quetion him that much with the short term that he'll serve.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 04:07:49 PM »

What is your overall view on defense?  Would you call yourself a hawk or an isolationist?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 04:11:26 PM »

What exactly is it that you do?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 04:22:50 PM »

You got to be fucking kidding me.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 07:44:15 PM »

<shrugs> Can't say I'm a fan of him, but I can't say too much about his qualifications (I think he may have been Secretary of Defense before...).
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 07:46:49 PM »

MAS has been almost everything before. He's only ever really done anything as Senator and Governor. This is exactly the thing I hate, giving positions to the old timers just cause they don't have one. That's what got us JFK as AG. Defense needs someone who will do something and get themselves carried over into the next administration.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 11:29:31 PM »

MAS has been almost everything before. He's only ever really done anything as Senator and Governor. This is exactly the thing I hate, giving positions to the old timers just cause they don't have one. That's what got us JFK as AG. Defense needs someone who will do something and get themselves carried over into the next administration.

Let me set a few things straight. Being in the cabinet means serving at the pleasure of the President. That's exactly what I did. I was Secretary of Defense, then I was Attorney General, and then Supreme Court Justice. I was asked to switch around by the President of Atlasia, Nym90. Nym can attest to my actions as Secretary of Defense, and that's the reason I did all of that. I asked President Siege for the honor to finish our his term as Secretary of Defense. If you've been at this forum for more then two minutes, you can see Jake's distain for me. Maybe becuase I supported Naso when he ran as a joke and ended up winning, I did take that a little bit over board and I admit that, and I know it ticked off a few people, and I accept that. My knowledge of the military is extensive, and I can show off that by being the next Secretary of Defense.

As for the question from the Senator from Washington, Mr. True _____, I view myself as more of a hawk then a isolatinst. We need to being giving our troops the things they need to succeed in the Global War on Terroism. We need to be building equipment that works and is useful instead of Government waste. We need to be doing more for our troops on the ground. If confirmed, my one of my first tasks will be is to secure the rights and previliges to National Guardsmen so they are equal to that of the regular Armed Forces. These men and women are Citizen-Soldiers and they leave there families and businesses to protect our freedom. Because they are not regular military they do not have the means necessary like those families on military bases. We often forget that they make up a huge percentage of troops deployed overseas. I think my work for the National Guard as Governor of the Northeast will show my dedication. This is just one of my first objectives.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 11:32:26 PM »

'K, Mas. I've heard several analysts call for the ending of the CVNX next generation aircraft carrier project to make funds availible elsewhere in the budget. What's your opinion on that?
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 12:10:07 AM »

'K, Mas. I've heard several analysts call for the ending of the CVNX next generation aircraft carrier project to make funds availible elsewhere in the budget. What's your opinion on that?

I know what your trying to do Jake, and I don't appreciate it. This is a place for the Senate, and as far as I know, your not in it. Usually we like to respect the rules, for the office in which your running. However, I will go ahead and answer your question anyway.

When dealing with commishining and decommishing naval ships its very diffcult. After some preliminary research, I've found the CVNX program to be very beneficial to our Navy. What the new CVNX program does is takes the Nimitz class hull, and have the ships based off of nuclear powered engines. Currently there are two verisons, the CVNX-1 and the CVNX-2. I think its too early to tell what the 2 will look like, whether its a brand new design or a modification of the 1. What I do know is that a Nimitz class naval aircraft were built for around 30 years of service. They are now going on 50 years+. We need to modernize our aircraft carrier fleet. This is most important to the War on Terror. Right now we an aging fleet.

I'm not sure if the first appropraition for money is in the FY2006 budget in the United States. If it is, the first CVNX-1 should be ready in 2013 to replace the USS Enterprise. After 2006 there is planned construction for more CVNX's in five year intervals.

Good enough Jake?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2005, 12:20:36 AM »

What do you say to those that believe that these ships represent to great an expenditure of resources. Resources that could be used to pay for the Iraq War or other more pressing issues in the future? Would our fleet still be able to meet its world committments with the core of the ten Nimitz Class vessels? If not, are further additions to the fleet needed in excess of the #78 and #79, or is twelve carriers to correct number?

Also, since we're on the topic, what should the main mission of the Navy be? Should it serve primarily to keep the sea lanes open for commerce or should it serve to promote American power around the world? Maybe another mission?
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2005, 12:49:16 AM »

What do you say to those that believe that these ships represent to great an expenditure of resources. Resources that could be used to pay for the Iraq War or other more pressing issues in the future? Would our fleet still be able to meet its world committments with the core of the ten Nimitz Class vessels? If not, are further additions to the fleet needed in excess of the #78 and #79, or is twelve carriers to correct number?

Also, since we're on the topic, what should the main mission of the Navy be? Should it serve primarily to keep the sea lanes open for commerce or should it serve to promote American power around the world? Maybe another mission?

Jake, I feel these answers from you are neverending. I'll answer this, but I'd like to call a point of order to Vice President Emsworth. Clearly Jake is not a member of the Atlasian Senate, and his intentions are to derail my confirmation hearing. If any real Senator has a question, I'd be happy to answer it.

I would say to that those people that they raise a very valid point. However, Iraq is a process. If you look back to the history of the United States, our Constitution was not ratified until 1787. I expect a large presence in Iraq even after all our troops have left. However, the longer we put off our future need for aircraft carriers the worse our navy will be 10 years from now, when a new more technological threat emerges, and I do not want to see us behind that of other countries. Yes, the 10 Nimitz class ships are satisfactory for now, but when the first CVNX is completed the Nimitz ships will already be have served DOUBLE of what they were intentioned too for most of them. 

I think the purpose of the Navy is keep the sea lanes open for commerce and serve to promote American power. The Navy is a core branch of the military. They are there to support the men and women on the ground. I would also like to see a bigger Coast Guard to handle a majority of the responsiablity for Homeland Security. As Secretary of Defense, I would recommend to the Senate a possible increase in the infucture of the Coast Guard.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2005, 01:02:09 AM »

Point of order denied.

The Nimitz Class ships actually are not outmoded by any standard. If anything the fact that they are still being constructed with only minor alterations 30 years later is a testament to their durability. The design itself was built to serve for fifty years and a first replacement will be due in 2023-2025. A committment to the CVNX design will lock the Navy into a track of purchasing ships in 2013, 2018, and onward every 3-5 years until the remaining ten Nimitz class vessels are replaced sometime around 2055. In essence, the basic design of this class of vessels will have originated fifty years before the last ship is constructed and may very well serve for one hundred years after being designed.

I'm getting off-topic though. As Secretary of Defense, how will you approach the current situation in South America; specifically as it concerns Venezuela, Cuba, and Colombia?
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2005, 01:10:13 AM »

Regardless of these facts and whether MAS117 knows them thoroughly, I am encouraged by his efforts in answering these questions that strike me as perhaps irrelevant to the job.

This Senator is satisfied with the nominee's qualifications.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2005, 01:13:00 AM »

Point of order denied.

The Nimitz Class ships actually are not outmoded by any standard. If anything the fact that they are still being constructed with only minor alterations 30 years later is a testament to their durability. The design itself was built to serve for fifty years and a first replacement will be due in 2023-2025. A committment to the CVNX design will lock the Navy into a track of purchasing ships in 2013, 2018, and onward every 3-5 years until the remaining ten Nimitz class vessels are replaced sometime around 2055. In essence, the basic design of this class of vessels will have originated fifty years before the last ship is constructed and may very well serve for one hundred years after being designed.

I'm getting off-topic though. As Secretary of Defense, how will you approach the current situation in South America; specifically as it concerns Venezuela, Cuba, and Colombia?

Without a comment from the Chairman of these proccedings, I will not answer any more of Jake's questions. The fact is your not a Senator, and I answered your questions respectfully, one or two of them. Enough is enough. Show some respect to this instuititon and put away your personal attacks. 

Thank you Senator Q.

Do any other Senators have questions?

Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2005, 01:42:37 AM »

I'll remind the Senate that they voted down a similar candidate (Mike Naso) in the past. Then again, if MAS thinks a "personal attack" is a simple question, y'all should probably confirm him or he may hang himself.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2005, 01:57:58 AM »

I'll remind the Senate that they voted down a similar candidate (Mike Naso) in the past. Then again, if MAS thinks a "personal attack" is a simple question, y'all should probably confirm him or he may hang himself.

I hardly compare myself to "Senator" Naso, and you know damn well your intentions and it's obvious to everyone.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2005, 01:59:08 AM »

Keep you from important positions where you could have a damaging effect? Yep, you caught me MAS.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2005, 02:00:18 AM »
« Edited: October 16, 2005, 02:03:04 AM by Secretary of Defense-designate MAS117 »

Keep you from important positions where you could have a damaging effect? Yep, you caught me MAS.

I've set my agenda clear, and I doubt that the distinguished members of this body will find me unfit to serve.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2005, 02:01:26 AM »

I've set my agenda clear, and I doubt that the distinguished members of this body will find me unsit to serve.

I hope they won't find you unsit
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2005, 04:25:14 AM »

I've set my agenda clear, and I doubt that the distinguished members of this body will find me unsit to serve.

I hope they won't find you unsit

Jake, grilling him is fine from my perspective, but doing something like attacking typos goes more than a little overboard.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2005, 05:46:12 AM »

According to the rules, Jake is perfectly entitled to participate in the debate. However, MAS is not required to answer questions except from Senators.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2005, 09:20:13 AM »

Point of order denied.

Without a comment from the Chairman of these proccedings, I will not answer any more of Jake's questions. The fact is your not a Senator, and I answered your questions respectfully, one or two of them. Enough is enough. Show some respect to this instuititon and put away your personal attacks. 

Thank you Senator Q.

Do any other Senators have questions?

You did not yet answer my question.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2005, 03:22:50 PM »

I did so Senator, check the first page.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2005, 03:24:49 PM »

What do you believe should be done about terrorism?  Should we withdraw of add troops to Iraq.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies