Confirmation Hearing: MAS117 (Defense)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:40:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: MAS117 (Defense)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: MAS117 (Defense)  (Read 4618 times)
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2005, 06:30:20 PM »
« edited: October 16, 2005, 06:47:42 PM by Secretary of Defense-designate MAS117 »

What do you believe should be done about terrorism?  Should we withdraw of all troops to Iraq.

Thank you for your question Senator. The problem with terrorism is that will it always be a problem, and as long as we survive as a country, people will hate us. However, one of the main reasons for so many deaths in Iraq is the borders. They are not properly secured and foreign fighters are coming thru. Do I think we should remove all troops from Iraq? Of course not, not at this time, however, I would like to see a time table for a depature hopefully by 2008.

The other question is where is Osama? We are simply not doing a good enough job to try to find Osama, the real terrorist behind 9/11. Once the Iraqi Army is stronger, I would advise the President to withdraw a sizeable about of troops from Iraq, and increase our military presence in Afghanistan.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2005, 06:31:47 PM »

A "time table"? This person is not fit to be Secretary of Defense.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2005, 07:12:37 PM »

You are not fit to be senator.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2005, 07:14:13 PM »

You are not fit to be senator.
True dat.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2005, 07:15:23 PM »

No, True Dem. Wink
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2005, 07:29:12 PM »

It is interesting that someone running for senate is showing such a complete lack of maturity by persuing a personal vendetta against someone else.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2005, 07:43:55 PM »

Another post that just drips with irony.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2005, 09:26:41 PM »

Mr. Secretary-designate,

How would you approach the current situation in South America, specifically as it concerns countries such as Venezuela, Cuba, and Colombia?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2005, 09:49:26 PM »

Another post that just drips with irony.
I'm not running for anything dipsh**t.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2005, 10:25:00 PM »

I am prepared to call capitol police if these outside vendettas do not cease immediately.

Please respect the decorum of the institution of the Atlasian Senate.

Thank you.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2005, 08:39:32 AM »

I have a question to ask, and I can assure you it's not fueled by any petty vendetta.

What do you hope to achieve in your capacity as Defense Secretary between your confirmation and the start of the next President's administration, which will be just under two weeks away?
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2005, 01:22:21 PM »

I have a question to ask, and I can assure you it's not fueled by any petty vendetta.

What do you hope to achieve in your capacity as Defense Secretary between your confirmation and the start of the next President's administration, which will be just under two weeks away?

A very valid question, and too tell you the truth probably not alot. I hope to keep this position into the next adminstration, and since I'm getting confirmed now the process will be short again hopefully. I will however start on my proposals regarding the National Guard and the Coast Guard in the mean time.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2005, 01:24:47 PM »

Mr. Secretary-designate,

How would you approach the current situation in South America, specifically as it concerns countries such as Venezuela, Cuba, and Colombia?

When dealing with these type of countries, we need to keep a close eye on them of course. For Cuba, I would be paritally in favor of removing some of the bans on Cuban goods. I think its time that we open up trade again with this country, because its not only hurting us, but its hurting the innocent Cuban citizens. Castro does not have much longer, and when he dies we can hopefully set up a democracy, a democracy that will need to traded with and have sources of income.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2005, 06:51:27 PM »

Governor, if a Senator asks a question of you within a thread concerning a bill, realistically, what are the chances of you answering it?  My vote on a bill often will hinge on the opinions of those affect, and yet I have yet to have any question I've asked of a cabinet member answered within the thread of a bill.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2005, 07:29:41 PM »

I'll remind the Senate that they voted down a similar candidate (Mike Naso) in the past. Then again, if MAS thinks a "personal attack" is a simple question, y'all should probably confirm him or he may hang himself.

I hardly compare myself to "Senator" Naso, and you know damn well your intentions and it's obvious to everyone.

When you were a "Senator" you had the second lowest ratings so don't pat yourself on the back too hard there, MAS.

I urge the Senate to vote against confirming MAS as SoD. He's just looking for whatever job is available.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2005, 07:37:31 PM »

How do you think you are qualified to hold this position?
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2005, 07:39:10 PM »

Governor, if a Senator asks a question of you within a thread concerning a bill, realistically, what are the chances of you answering it?  My vote on a bill often will hinge on the opinions of those affect, and yet I have yet to have any question I've asked of a cabinet member answered within the thread of a bill.

I'd just like to note that the Government board has hit 20,000 posts. Now the question from the Senator. Yes, I will add my thoughts in to bills and amendments dealing with Defense issues. I will also write up a set of recommendations to be introduced in the Senate similar to what Secretary of State WMS has done. So the answer is yes, I will engage in Senate debate when dealing with Defense issues.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2005, 07:41:04 PM »

How do you think you are qualified to hold this position?

I don't see how I'm not qualified Senator. I was the Secretary of Defense under the Nym adminstration, and as Governor I was the Commander-in-Chief of the Northeastern National Guard. As Governor we passed great legislation to booster the National Guard, our nations Citizen-Soldiers.

Point of order to the Chair, when will the Senate be voting on the confirmation?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2005, 07:47:57 PM »

Sorry, but I have a few more questions.  I feel this a really important position, and I want to know everything I can about the nominee.

How do you believe the United States can promote international cooperation on the War on Terror?

What is your view on the Mexican and Candadian borders in terms of defense and what should be done to protect these voters?

What is your view on using the military in natural disasters?

If an epidemic were to occur in the Untied States, such as the Avian Bird Flu, and a quarantine were needed, would you support using the military to help in this quarantine?

Finally, what is your view on the Israeli-Palestinian peace process?
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2005, 07:59:36 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2005, 08:02:27 PM by MAS117 »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Republic can have good relations with other nations, and not take the go it alone route like we did in the War in Iraq. We need to get more nations involved, and I believe NATO and the EU are important allies we need to have on our side.

Not enough is being done at the Mexican border. We need to control the illegal immigration from Mexico, because it is becoming a National Security issue. We need to expand our border patrol so that we can cover more ground. Immigration is more of an issue on to the right of. I actually agree with the Minutemen Project. However, we need border patrol out there and not these men. We also need to be doing more at the Canadian border. Like the Mexican border, we need to be adding more U.S.-Canadian border patrolmen and women.

I believe that the National Guard should play the primary role with natural disastors along with the cooperation of the Coast Guard. This whole natural disaster ordeal really raises serious questions regarding posse comitatus and the use of the regular military.

At this time, I really don't have a comment on this suitation. I have to read up on this more and see what exactly would be the case. Again, an issue of  posse comitatus.

I am an avid supporter of the State of Israel. However, in order for peace I believe that there needs to be a Palestinian state.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2005, 08:03:38 PM »

The Republic can have good relations with other nations, and not take the go it alone route like we did in the War in Iraq. We need to get more nations involved, and I believe NATO and the EU are important allies we need to have on our side.

Not enough is being done at the Mexican border. We need to control the illegal immigration from Mexico, because it is becoming a National Security issue. We need to expand our border patrol so that we can cover more ground. Immigration is more of an issue on to the right of. I actually agree with the Minutemen Project. However, we need border patrol out there and not these men.

I believe that the National Guard should play the primary role with natural disastors along with the cooperation of the Coast Guard. This whole natural disaster ordeal really raises serious questions regarding posse comitatus and the use of the regular military.

At this time, I really don't have a comment on this suitation. I have to read up on this more and see what exactly would be the case. Again, an issue of  posse comitatus.

I am an avid supporter of the State of Israel. However, in order for peace I believe that there needs to be a Palestinian state.

On the first question, HOW do you believe we can promote international cooperation?

On the second question, how much more border patrol?  Would you support using the National Guard or other nonspecialized troops?

On the fifth question, could you elaborate?  How do you believe Palestinian state should be achieved?  How can we stop terrorism at the same time?  What is your view on the wall?
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2005, 08:13:14 PM »

Like I said before, by not taking an isolationist attitude and involving foreign nations in talks before taking military action. We need to enlist the NATO, the EU, and the UN.

If there is a state of emergency declared in the region, then the National Guard may be called out to border patrol (See NM and AZ). Once I am confirmed I'll work on specific numbers of border patrol increases, I don't have the numbers in front of me right now. However, it will be siginficant.

The Palestinian State can be acheived by an agreement with Israel and the Palestinian PM as well as the PLO, in conjuction with us and the UN. There needs to be an end to the terriost groups, and the Palestinian authority needs to crack down more on Hamas and those type of groups. I think the wall is not such a great idea. Israel has already pulled out of a lot of settlements. If the terrorist attacks increase, the wall will again be an option for the PLO. However, I believe thats more of a question that should be directed at the Secretary of State, and not me.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2005, 08:15:34 PM »

Yeah, good call on the wall. I mean, the fact that it has pratically stopped suicide attacks should certainly qualify it as "not such a great idea".
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2005, 08:19:22 PM »

I'm sorry.  I respect the President, but I cannot vote for his nominee for Secretary of Defense.  From his last set of answers, it is obvious that MAS does not have the competence to hold this position.

For example, on this question:

Like I said before, by not taking an isolationist attitude and involving foreign nations in talks before taking military action. We need to enlist the NATO, the EU, and the UN.

I asked how, repeatedly how this could be done, and MAS has not provided any substantial answers.

Once again, I feel that I cannot support this nominee.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2005, 08:32:56 PM »

I would also like to hear other Senators' opinions on this nominee.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies