Mainstream Media Bias
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:09:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mainstream Media Bias
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mainstream Media Bias  (Read 4249 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2004, 12:06:04 AM »
« edited: May 06, 2004, 12:06:46 AM by Lunar »

I've noticed that liberals tend to think that the media has a conservative bias and conservatives overwhelmingly believe the media has a liberal bias.  Everyone wants to be the underdog and feel like their political views are swimming upstream against some force.

It also depends on how you define the mainstream media.  It's left intentionally ambigious.

I say sensationalist.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 01:39:51 AM »

Most reporters are vultures out to get a story at the common persons expense.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 03:01:39 AM »

depends on how you define mainstream, as well as how you define all those other terms.  I voted liberal (obviously I'm not looking at the WSJ just now), specifically referring to broadcast news presentations.  But with respect to cable news I'd say more sensationalist.  The papers are biased too.  Most big markets have a mainstream nationalist and a mainstream opposition it seems.  It's weird, but in New York and Boston, the tabloids are more sensational, but also more nationalistic.  Out west we're fairly illiterate and don't have so many choices, but the mainstream Bay Area papers are what most Americans would call liberal.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 09:51:09 AM »

No Bias- Just Sensationalist     
bejkuy

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 12:46:09 PM »

Not intentionally bias, just bias because they're all on the same side of the issue.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 01:20:13 PM »

I've noticed that liberals tend to think that the media has a conservative bias and conservatives overwhelmingly believe the media has a liberal bias.  Everyone wants to be the underdog and feel like their political views are swimming upstream against some force.

It also depends on how you define the mainstream media.  It's left intentionally ambigious.

I say sensationalist.

I agree. Everyone everywhere thinks teh media is against them. Usually, b/c the media isn't biased enough to their side... Wink
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 03:22:04 PM »

No need to educate me, I already know the liberal media dominates the mainstream press. I know that conservatives can't get on the air or print. I know that because I was told by:

William Safire Maureen Dowd George Will Robert Samuelson Charles Krauthammer Matt Drudge Sean Hannity John Fisher Frank Monaldo Thomas Sowell Cal Thomas Rush Limbaugh David Limbaugh William F. Buckley, Jr. Neal Boortz Dr. Laura Michael Savage Paul Harvey G Gordon Liddy  Oliver North Michael Reagan Hue Hewitt Larry Elders Mike Barnicle Mona Charen Billy Kristol Peggy Noonan Bruce Bartlett Tony Blankley Austin Bay Brent Bozell Pat Buchanan Linda Chavez Joseph Farah Samuel Francis Terence Jeffrey Lawrence Kudlow  Marvin Olasky Alan Reynolds Paul Craig Roberts Debra Saunders Matt Towery Bernie Goldberg John Stossel Bill O'Reilly Russell Kirk Ann Coulter Mary Matalin Ken Hamblin Bob Kohn Zell Miller Laura Ingraham Dick Morris Robert Patterson Tammy Bruce John H. Mcwhorter Harry Stein J. C. Watts Dinesh D'Souza William J. Bennett Dennis Miller Terence P. Jeffrey Robert Novak
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 03:39:47 PM »

I would say that ABCN, CNN, MSNBC, BBC, and most newspapers are liberal. Even FoxNews can be very liberal.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2004, 02:30:00 AM »

anybody getting this?  on PBS right now is an interview of two University of Chicago professors of divinity (Elshtain and Marty?) who are talking about speeches of a long line of presidents preaching and praying and mentioning providence, and praising the president (or at least not at all negative).  There was no campaigning, but the viewer was obviously reminded of about twelve presidents starting with lincoln doing God's Will, but that none had actually stated that he knew his god wanted him to become President till this one.  I don't think I had mentioned PBS in my post was reminded that I think Jim Lehrer's show is neither biased nor sensational.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2004, 01:29:16 PM »

Fox Threatens to Sue Co. Over Billboard
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2004, 02:57:49 PM »

Different Networks have different Biases.  FOX is right; NBC and CBS are left; CNN is centrist, and that's the one I watch.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2004, 05:49:03 PM »

They're all vultures when it comes down it. They sensationalize stories w/out concern for the victims families half the time.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2004, 10:30:39 PM »

I say no bias, just sensationalist. They are after ratings, and they don't care whose character they have to disparage (Democrat or Republican) to get them. They are a business, plain and simple, and their only political agenda is whichever one helps their bottom line (the same as any other corporation, they are going to support whoever supports them.)
super6646
Canada

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 12:17:06 AM »

Oh how relevant this is in today's American society.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 12:26:54 AM »

Its clear the media treated HW and W worse than Clinton and Obama
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 12:30:08 AM »

Most media has a liberal, but not necessarily left-wing, bias generally.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 01:41:03 AM »

Sensationalist.

But who does sensationalism benefit? A lot of sensationalism revolves around stories of crime, terror and curruption. Stories that appeal to our fears, stories that make us angry and makes us want to obtain protection from those that wish to harm us. Stories like these tend to benefit populist right wingers who present easy solutions to complex problems.

This is much more important than who journalists support privately and much more important than which talking heads are on political shows, which usually only the already partisan people watch.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 02:09:30 AM »

I absolutely love how we're just resuming a thread from the origin of the forum and acting like it's no big deal.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 02:11:36 AM »

I absolutely love how we're just resuming a thread from the origin of the forum and acting like it's no big deal.

My views have certainly changed on this.

Before: "How could there possibly be a liberal bias?"
Now: "Ok, I see, liberal doesn't mean that it's not my political enemy. Liberal just means the same as in Europe, neoliberal."
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 03:19:35 AM »

LOL! Didn't even notice it when I made my reply.
Joey1996

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 09:04:01 AM »

The media typically rides with whomever the president is, that's not the case this time around.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies