Should there be a propiska?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:33:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should there be a propiska?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 7

Author Topic: Should there be a propiska?  (Read 1100 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2005, 10:24:17 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propiska
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 10:34:06 PM »

there might be some validity in controlling the movement of the populace.  according to your article, the term derives from a russian word related to "write" and referrs to an ancient Czarist practice of recording residences which was later used by the central soviet to control population movements.  So, if you're a Russian dictator looking to ensure the right person is in the right place at the same time, then it may be a grand idea.  I really don't know, as I subscribe to Price Theory and I think Command Economies are a bad idea in the first place.  From the point of view of an imperialist or a democratic capitalist it seems antithetical to maximization of enterprise in the sense that economic disequilibrium would result from such a policy.  But then we have economic sanctions agains Cuba, and used to have them against Iraq, and folks balk at Free Trade, so the populace here apparently welcome some ideas that are antithetical to price optimization. 

Anyway, it all depends on what your goals are I think.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 10:39:35 PM »

there might be some validity in controlling the movement of the populace.  according to your article, the term derives from a russian word related to "write" and referrs to an ancient Czarist practice of recording residences which was later used by the central soviet to control population movements.  So, if you're a Russian dictator looking to ensure the right person is in the right place at the same time, then it may be a grand idea.  I really don't know, as I subscribe to Price Theory and I think Command Economies are a bad idea in the first place.  From the point of view of an imperialist or a democratic capitalist it seems antithetical to maximization of enterprise in the sense that economic disequilibrium would result from such a policy.  But then we have economic sanctions agains Cuba, and used to have them against Iraq, and folks balk at Free Trade, so the populace here apparently welcome some ideas that are antithetical to price optimization. 

Anyway, it all depends on what your goals are I think.
This is perhaps a better article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_passport
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 10:45:11 PM »

Every single Russian I ever knew--and I met quite a few in grad school and as a postdoc--had nothing good to say about the USSR.  Think Opebo talking about the USA.  That's the average russian talking about the USSR.  And the subject of propiska came up, although I never knew by such a name as I don't speak russian, and the english phrase they often used was "residence control"  I'd offer that a happy workforce is a productive workforce, and based on that I'd say that if your goal is productivity then no it's probably not a good idea in general.

Again, you have to put the question in context.  If your goal is domination, then I think you could argue that there should be.  If you goal is productivity, then I'd say not.  On the other hand, the PRC has the fastest-growing aggregate GDP in the world, and they use something similar.  Still, based on what chinese folks tell me, it doesn't sound like an ideal way to maintain a happy, productive people.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 05:11:46 AM »

...it doesn't sound like an ideal way to maintain a happy, productive people.

Of course, happy and productive are more often opposing qualities than conflicting ones.

But as for controlling the population in this way, of course it is beneficial to the State, but not to the individual citizens.. other than the elite which controls the State.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 11:33:40 AM »

So what exactly are we talking about here?
A legal requirement to register address changes exists wherever there is automatic voter registration, such as in Germany, Australia etc.
Bans on internal travel are quite a different thing (and not desirable.) I'd add that India too knows restricted areas that even Indian citizens are not allowed to travel to without a special permit. There of course they were invented by the Brits.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 11:37:21 AM »

No, I would like to see Montana.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies