Taxes on Inheritance and Lottery Winnings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:55:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Taxes on Inheritance and Lottery Winnings
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should taxes on these be higher or lower? (see post below)
both higher

inheritance higher/lottery lower

inheritance lower/lottery higher

both the same

inheritance the same/lottery higher

inheritance the same/lottery lower

inheritance higher/lottery the same

inheritance lower/lottery the same

both lower

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Taxes on Inheritance and Lottery Winnings  (Read 2482 times)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2005, 01:37:36 PM »

Taxes on wealth gained by luck (including the luck of being born into a wealthy family) are some of the most important taxes we have.

You have a point, but I would say that wealth that there is a fundamental difference between inheritances and lottery winnings.

Lottery winnings are simply a redistribution of wealth from those who buy tickets to those who happen to pick the right combination of numbers.

Inheritance is the passing of wealth that has been in some way earned, presumably, by a loved one onto the people of his/her choosing.

As I said, I'm not necessarily for total elimination of the inheritance tax, but I can't view inheritances in the same light as lottery winnings.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2005, 01:44:18 PM »

Inheritance should be higher. On reason: Paris Hilton

Lottery should be th same.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2005, 01:48:35 PM »

Inheritance should be higher. On reason: Paris Hilton

Lottery should be th same.

The Paris Hilton example is probably the one thing that could convince me to agree with you.  She is a very good example of the evil side effects of too much wealth.  Her parents are also trash, which is a big part of the reason she's the way she is.

A television reviewer once said, about her show "The Simple Life" that watching her whole attitude would be enough to turn the most committed capitalist into a Maoist.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2005, 01:57:37 PM »

Taxes on wealth gained by luck (including the luck of being born into a wealthy family) are some of the most important taxes we have.

There is a lot of truth in this, but keep in mind that successfully inheriting involves not only the luck of birth, but 40 or so years, on average, of sucking up to the horrible old misers.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2005, 02:00:30 PM »

There is a lot of truth in this, but keep in mind that successfully inheriting involves not only the luck of birth, but 40 or so years, on average, of sucking up to the horrible old misers.

I once heard a saying "He who marries for money earns it."  I think that could apply to any type of inheritance.  And you are a prime example of people who have not been well served or blessed as a result of being born into a family with money.  You will be the last generation to have wealth in your family.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2005, 02:04:27 PM »

I once heard a saying "He who marries for money earns it."  I think that could apply to any type of inheritance.  And you are a prime example of people who have not been well served or blessed as a result of being born into a family with money.  You will be the last generation to have wealth in your family.

Yes, I do not plan to have any children.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2005, 02:06:02 PM »

That's not what I meant.  There wouldn't be anything for them even if you did.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2005, 02:28:09 PM »

You have a point, but I would say that wealth that there is a fundamental difference between inheritances and lottery winnings.

Lottery winnings are simply a redistribution of wealth from those who buy tickets to those who happen to pick the right combination of numbers.

Inheritance is the passing of wealth that has been in some way earned, presumably, by a loved one onto the people of his/her choosing.

As I said, I'm not necessarily for total elimination of the inheritance tax, but I can't view inheritances in the same light as lottery winnings.

Although I agree with Preston about luck being taxed highly, I feel it is more important to tax inheritance since large inheritances can only be gained by certain people while a lottery is open to everyone.

Inheritance taxes, unlike lottery taxes, alleviate the caste system.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2005, 02:56:48 PM »

I'm going out on a limb here and assuming you are either German or Swedish.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2005, 03:45:28 PM »

That's not what I meant.  There wouldn't be anything for them even if you did.

Absurd.  Anyone can follow the simple rule - 'don't spend the principle'.

Of course the nice thing about not having any progeny is there is no need to be concerned about this.  If you think about it anyone who leaves an estate is an idiot.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2005, 03:57:42 PM »

Whew....good to know
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2005, 05:09:31 PM »

For something to be considered an income, is there an inference that one has to work for it or make an informed decision or do something in order to receive the money aside from having good timing and aside from being "lucky"? I would buy that argument if someone were to advance it because being lucky or having good timing is too arbitrary a reason for me for the government to penalize someone. Yes, it's an income, but it's not something that's worked for, in a sense. Too arbitrary a reason to penalize someone, IMO, if it's taxing someone for being lucky and I agree that it is.

As to the inheritance tax, it doesn't preclude anyone else from making a fortune and it doesn't in and of itself keep the wealth all in one spot, so it doesn't keep a caste system out and it doesn't guard against feudalism. People can lose fortunes at any time, mainly via making stupid decisions or by being wasteful. Others, on the other hand, can make them at any time. I think it's blatantly unfair; the government shouldn't intrude into what and how someone wants to leave behind an estate and it shouldn't step in front of someone receiving an estate. They can't come in and say, okay, you have 2 kids, so 50% goes to each one, so I don't think the government should interfere at all.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies