Blasphomy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:15:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Blasphomy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Blasphomy  (Read 1025 times)
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2005, 08:28:02 AM »

I went into a Christian merchandise store near me yesterday (I enjoy buying little trinkets from it Smiley) and I found a few books that were supposed to look fairly at all different political issues and how Jesus felt about them (Despite most of those issues not existing during his time.) and a book denouncing blacks for registering Democrat a majority of the time!

No matter your stance on said issues, the fact that this stuff is being published in the name of my religion angers me greatly. Who is it that decides how a Christian should feel about an issue? I used to love that store, but I have stopped buying from it now. Angry

How do you guys feel about the issue of having certainstances being printed in the name of your religion? (These stances included being anti-Death penalty, anti-War, anti-choice, anti-evolution, etc. etc.)
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 08:50:15 AM »

Pro gay marriage is one, which is part of what I think of as the cosmos sized over simplication of the Bible or religion into a feel-good secularized branch-off spirituality. I agree with the Pope - the purpose of religion shouldn't be to endorse popular culture and bend to it, but rather to hold fast and set an example for what people should aspire to. God is love, Jesus was a liberal, what corresponds to a masked carpe diem theme, blah blah blah - I don't go for that for a minute.
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 12:57:21 PM »

How do you guys feel about the issue of having certainstances being printed in the name of your religion? (These stances included being anti-Death penalty, anti-War, anti-choice, anti-evolution, etc. etc.)

LOL It's choice = DEATH!

I'm all but anti-Evolution. God created Nature, and God worked slowly to create us. Slow but sure. The only way he could do this effectively is to evolve us from a species of the Animal Kingdom, since it was the easiest. We might as well have evolved from fungi, protists, or plants.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 01:59:35 PM »

Pro gay marriage is one, which is part of what I think of as the cosmos sized over simplication of the Bible or religion into a feel-good secularized branch-off spirituality. I agree with the Pope - the purpose of religion shouldn't be to endorse popular culture and bend to it, but rather to hold fast and set an example for what people should aspire to. God is love, Jesus was a liberal, what corresponds to a masked carpe diem theme, blah blah blah - I don't go for that for a minute.

You don't?  Well if that absolution-by-confession thing isn't a signal to seize the day and have gay sex or whatever you want to do, I don't know what is.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 03:53:26 PM »

LOL It's choice = DEATH!

you stupid f#%k!  Don't you know that babies who have been aborted live long, healthy lives-often even longer than those who aren't Killerprudo.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 04:30:58 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2005, 04:41:15 PM by Giant Saguaro »

You don't?  Well if that absolution-by-confession thing isn't a signal to seize the day and have gay sex or whatever you want to do, I don't know what is.

A once-over glance of the New Testament should convince anyone otherwise. "Go and sin no more," which meant change of heart / change of mind. Your position reminds me of what the reformation was over - buying forgiveness, basically, among other things, but the gist was indulgence and corruption. You can't knowingly do "what you want" and just figure that if you go through a process at some point you will be forgiven.
The Constitarian
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 09:07:44 PM »

I'm an atheist, but I have read the Bible.  Whenever I see bumperstickers that say would Jesus be pro-choice, implying the answer to be no.  I have a question for these people, would god, creator of free will, be pro-choice.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 10:15:15 PM »

Of course, it could just as easily be pointed out that Jesus was probably not partial to conservatism (in the modern usage of the term) either.  He preached frequently against hypocracy, and for forgiveness and tollerance.    I wonder what party the money changers in the temple would have been with...

Granted, much of Christianity follows Paul more closely than Jesus - especially those who seem to approach faith as though it were a pyramid scheme, valuing testamony over gospels and conversion over devotion.

I think the Bible is neither liberal nor conservative - but includes passages which could be considered relevent to either, both, or neither - depending on translation and interperetation.   In the mid-ninteenth century both slavers and abolitionists cited scriptures ferverently to support their POV.

I think hardline conservatives tend to focus mostly on the ends of the bible - the old Hebrew  laws of the Pentateuch and the apoclyptic writing of Revelations; While more mainline Christians focus more on the new testament in general, and liberals focus more of the Gospels - particularly the sermon on the mount.

FWIW the local Catholics I know seem pretty liberal as far as I can tell.   In any case, I would consider preaching racism and intollerance in the name of faith as blasphemous as far as my view of the scriptures goes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies