Democratic Convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:53:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Democratic Convention
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Democratic Convention  (Read 6026 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2004, 03:40:03 PM »

This thread is the Dem convention thread.  The convention starts today and concludes on May ninth with the presidential speech and VP announcement.

I would like this thread 'stickied'.  Anyone who wants to post a speech, it's all yours.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 08:24:16 PM »

Sticky this, dammit!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 07:06:50 AM »

This is a wonderful convention so far.  Free food at least.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 11:57:50 AM »

Um...I'm not sure about this. I am somewhat reluctant to sticky stuff that comes from the parties. I don't think a convention merits enough interest for that. What if we have 3 conventions at the same time?

We need less sticky threads, not more.

But I'm open to suggestions, as always. Smiley
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 04:13:57 PM »

*protests outside*  STOP THE PARTISAN MADNESS, VOTE UAC!
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 05:30:34 PM »

*Protests the UAC protest*

Come one, vote Ford!  I have an ego to protect.  Don, you're a moderate and UAC can vote in our primary.  Vote for me, don't let the radicals nominate a loser!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004, 07:23:04 PM »

*Protests the UAC protest*

Come one, vote Ford!  I have an ego to protect.  Don, you're a moderate and UAC can vote in our primary.  Vote for me, don't let the radicals nominate a loser!

Do you support abolishing Title IX?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2004, 07:27:30 PM »

No, but I do want an exemption for football programs.  Women don't play football, so a lot of schools like Boston university have had to drop their programs and it costs the school money.  Since running a football program takes about 50 scholarships o be competitive, that means you need to add 50 women's sports scholarships to make up for it.  Just put in an exemption to Title IX and we're fine.

I love football, and want to protect it.  I love women and I want ot protect them.  This is the way I'd do it.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2004, 07:35:14 PM »

No, but I do want an exemption for football programs.  Women don't play football,

Sure they do.  Just not that much.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I suppose this is OK... just not the best.  You>StevenNick Smiley

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That seems a little 1800s.

Still, I'm all for chivalry Grin
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2004, 05:55:00 PM »

I would make a speech tonight, but seeing as no one else has spoken yet, perhaps I should put that off for a day or two...
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2004, 05:56:06 PM »

This certainly is a lively convention.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2004, 05:57:20 PM »

Well, fellow Democrats, please speak!

Even if you aren't a Democrat, you can still make a speech so long as you are supporting my candidacy.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2004, 06:45:30 PM »

I wrote on had it all in here, and then I hit reset form my mistake, so I gave up on it.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2004, 12:27:45 AM »

Sorry to hear it, MAS. You can make a shorter speech if you'd like.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2004, 02:23:52 AM »
« Edited: May 10, 2004, 02:31:04 AM by hughento »

Welcome to convention II, the rematch, where we confirm our presidential and Vice-presidential candidates, as well as appoint a new chairman! W007!

Our party is not as strong as it oce was, but we need to unite behind our fantastic President, Mr. Nyman, who has fought for a safer, more secure, and more communal forum SINCE DAY ONE!

Not only has he been a steady behind the scenes leader, ensuring chaos doesn't emerge in the foru, but he has also taken on many active policies, most notable they recently emerging problem of China, and the now long gone, thanks to the work of his cabinet and himself, crisis of trolling.

So, I ask you to confirm Nym90 as our presidential candidate, four FOUR MORE MONTHS!
*cheer goes up*

FOUR MORE MONTHS!

FOUR MORE MONTHS!

FOUR MORE MONTHS!

FOUR MORE MONTHS!

FOUR MORE MONTHS!

THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT, PITTSBURGH!
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2004, 02:30:31 AM »

Pittsburgh? PITTSBURGH?

fine.

*does quick edit*
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2004, 05:03:08 AM »

Pittsburgh4Nym!
ShapeShifter

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2004, 10:16:12 AM »
« Edited: May 10, 2004, 10:17:36 AM by Senator ShapeShifter »

I am a proud Democrat. Smiley Some would call us liberals and try to use it as a bad name or a curse like , but I tell them, hey! I am a liberal and a democrat, got a problem? Smiley

On that note, Congradulation to the Democratic Nominee and still president and soon to be re-elected, Nym90!

Yea! We rule!

[makes back flips off the stage]
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2004, 03:14:21 PM »

Thank you.

It's so wonderful to be here, as part of the incumbent party, moving our atlas forward and doing what is right. But it is not all wonderful.

There are still too many poor, too many sick, too many victimized by the old devil of discrimination, and too many nations cowering under our yoke or shaking their fist in anger at us. These are problems that concern us all, and cannot be solved, or even addressed, without four more months of this administration.

We are all lucky to have a president who cares about the poor and sick. The Republicans and the Centrists seem to ascribe to a philosophy of social Darwinism, that only the strongest will survive, that some of the old, some of the weak, some of the poor shall just be left behind. Well, we reject that thinking we believe that we are a family in this nation, and we are only as strong as our most vulnerable citizens. Turning our back on them is inconceivable.

We are thinking differently nowadays. We recognize that all of those among us who are merely different are not objects of scorn, but our fellow people, who should be able to participate to the most they can muster. But the other parties make no allowances for them. They are willing to close the book on civil rights, and end the continuance of affirmative action and Title IX, which have kept us away from falling back to our old demons. They reject the notion that the freedom to marry is a civil right in itself, not a marionette of self-serving legislators and pulpit pounders. And they want to take away the most important liberty that women have gained since suffrage, the freedom to decide whether or not to have a child.

We believe in peace. We believe that war is sometimes a necessary evil, but an evil nevertheless. To avoid the scourge that has so often plagued our civilization, we vow to work in partnership with nations abroad, and we're not going to war because we suppose, based upon fabricated evidence, that a nation is a threat. They will be a threat if that day comes.

Well, you have a choice. You can keep your fine president and vice president, qualified and productive cabinet, and fair and balanced Supreme Court. Or you can do away with us. We have our known faults, but it is better to rely upon those than our opposition's unknown virtues. Vote as your conscience tells you to. Re-elect us if you wish. Send us away if you are so led. But you have four months of good stewardship, and you can four more. It's on to victory.

Thank you.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2004, 03:15:31 PM »

I do not subscribe to social darwinism. If I did I might be a republican...I don't think the party does either.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2004, 03:31:52 PM »

I know you don't Gustaf. If you did, I'd scarcely think that you'd have grown to be a highly respected member of my caucus.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2004, 03:36:58 PM »

I know you don't Gustaf. If you did, I'd scarcely think that you'd have grown to be a highly respected member of my caucus.

then why did you say we did?

Sorry if that sounds rude, just curious.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2004, 03:41:27 PM »

Thank you Migrendel. Smiley But I still would like a reply to JFK's question, posted below.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2004, 03:49:39 PM »

Because Gustaf is affiliated with our party. But you centrists have taken positions, such as criminalizing abortions outside of extremely limited circumstances, banning affirmative action, restricting marriage to different gender couples, and allowing for the death penalty, which does nothing more than harm our vulnerable citizens. If you cared anything about their well-being, you wouldn't put forth such a cruel platform.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2004, 04:08:14 PM »

Because Gustaf is affiliated with our party. But you centrists have taken positions, such as criminalizing abortions outside of extremely limited circumstances, banning affirmative action, restricting marriage to different gender couples, and allowing for the death penalty, which does nothing more than harm our vulnerable citizens. If you cared anything about their well-being, you wouldn't put forth such a cruel platform.

We only support capital punishment in cases where the convicted is guilty beyond reasonable doubt, so, if there is forensic evidence etc.

We support Civil Unions for Same-Sex couples with ALL the benefits of marriage, just not called marriage as it would anger too many who believe in the sanctity of holy matrimony.

Abortion, I don't think we mean we would make it illegal outside of those restrictions although I may be wrong, I think we support those restrictions but wouldn't enforce a no-abortions policy as it would probably end with needless deaths through back-alley abortions.

We didn't say we would ban affirmative action, we support class based affirmative action over race-based affirmative action.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies