Which issue do you care about more?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:08:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which issue do you care about more?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which issue do you care about more?
Abortion

Gay Marriage

equal

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Which issue do you care about more?  (Read 3059 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2005, 04:16:52 AM »

Gay Marriage. With 'abortion'...I'm over that debate. Gay marriage is a basic right in a civilised society, under that name or another.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2005, 06:56:33 AM »

Abortion

It is also my biggest hot-button issue.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2005, 07:57:00 AM »

I'd say abortion since I'd rather be a gay man who can't marry than be a woman who was forced to give up my body for 9 months.
"Forced"? Ah.
Ever heard of contraception?

It is still forced, Mordac.  Hence the intervention of the State and their jackbooted thugs.

What' how is consensualy entering unprotected sex forced?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2005, 08:48:35 AM »

I'd say abortion since I'd rather be a gay man who can't marry than be a woman who was forced to give up my body for 9 months.
"Forced"? Ah.

It is still forced, Mordac.  Hence the intervention of the State and their jackbooted thugs.

That's not what's being forced, obviously, slow Mordac.  What is being forced is the subsequent carriage of the fetal tissues to term.  By jack booted thugs no less.
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2005, 12:30:02 PM »

They are both considered to be necessities in a society which, in its stage of advancement, should be considered abhorrences. Abortion is a more urgent one, yet gay marriage is more stealthy.
bergie72
Germany

Political Matrix
E: 4.77, S: -3.48

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2005, 11:34:45 PM »

I would say equal. 

As a libertarian, a woman has the right to do whatever she wants with her body.  However, personally, I am pro-life, and would strongly try to encourage her not to have it done.  If the fetus is viable (around 28 weeks, I think), then I think is basically murder.  But the first two trimesters, she can do what she wants.

Gay marriage.  I think gays are treated as 2nd class citizens, as least as far as the ability to have long-term relationships recognized by the state.  A gay couple (male or female) could be together for 10 years, and should anything happen to either one, they may be denied visitation rights in the hospital, no rights of survivorship, and no legal rights as far as inheritance. 

A hetero couple who haven't been married are considered common law after 7 years in PA, so all of items mentioned above will automiatically kick in.  For a gay couple, there are tons of forms to be filled out, notarized, filed, and in a lot of cases, consultation with lawyers to make sure all the bases are covered.

Compare that to the cost of a wedding license.....
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2005, 05:26:18 PM »

both
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2005, 10:59:48 PM »

Abortion. I really don't care about gay marriage at all.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2005, 11:58:06 PM »

Easily abortion. There is really no contest between a human life be eliminated and gays marrying.

Though opebo would like to cast this as an argument solely rooted in theology, there are many other reasons to care. Emsworth has noted the legal aspects. I would add a scientific basis - we have a standard recognized in 50 states that heart beat and brain activity in a human constitute life for the purpose of determining death. A consistent scientific definition would apply to the unborn as well.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2005, 06:17:35 PM »

Easily abortion. There is really no contest between a human life be eliminated and gays marrying.

Though opebo would like to cast this as an argument solely rooted in theology, there are many other reasons to care. Emsworth has noted the legal aspects. I would add a scientific basis - we have a standard recognized in 50 states that heart beat and brain activity in a human constitute life for the purpose of determining death. A consistent scientific definition would apply to the unborn as well.

Exactly, Judiasm (my religion) actually supports abortion.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2005, 11:07:18 AM »

Gay marriage, as it is the only thing that affects me. I don;t really have a problem with abortion at all. It's not as big a divisive issue as it is in America
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2005, 11:37:19 AM »

Abortion without a doubt. I deeply care about giving gays equal rights, but I do believe abortion is the taking of human life, so...

(my first post, yay)

Well hello, idiot! Wink  I hope you enjoy your stay here Cheesy

P.S. When you get 25 posts be sure to check out the Fantasy Boards, they're great! Grin
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2005, 11:52:15 AM »

"Forced"? Ah.

That's not what's being forced, obviously, slow Mordac.  What is being forced is the subsequent carriage of the fetal tissues to term.  By jack booted thugs no less.

When a woman gets pregnant, she sings a contract with the foetus that she will provide for it during 9 months.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2005, 04:21:56 PM »

Gay marriage
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2005, 02:04:52 AM »

Abortion without a doubt. I deeply care about giving gays equal rights, but I do believe abortion is the taking of human life, so...

(my first post, yay)

A pro-life Democrat!  Welcome! Grin
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2005, 02:32:43 AM »

Wait, wait... someone other than me is trying to apply a scientific approach to abortion?

I'm shocked. Tongue
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2005, 05:56:41 AM »

It's not as big a divisive issue as it is in America

True, but do you know why? Because it was legalised by the legislature, not the courts. Because it has a sane limit on it and wasn't a blanket legalisation. Because the absurd idea that women have a "right" to an abortion had nothing to do with it at all.
If abortion had been legalised in the same way as it was in the U.S, the issue would be about as important (especially in Lancashire).
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2005, 07:52:55 AM »

(my first post, yay)

A pro-life Democrat!  Welcome! Grin

Now please join the Religious Party.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2005, 03:58:45 AM »

What's the difference? Tongue
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to: