Parental Consent on abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:29:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Parental Consent on abortion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Poll
Question: Should minors be required to have parental consent before having an abortion?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Parental Consent on abortion  (Read 16719 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2005, 05:33:41 PM »

No.  If her parents were not abusive intolerants she would tell them on her own.  Whether she does so or not is not the State's business.

Obviously you were never a kid. 

It is perfectly harmless if no girls tell their parents.  My point is that most parents are judgemental tyrants, so it is wholely unsurprising that girls wouldn't want to expose themselves to abuse.

Not only have you never been a child, you've never been a parent.  Mostly, you're simply an idiot.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2005, 05:36:19 PM »

I don't believe they should have to get parental consent for minor medical procedures either though.

*blink*

Come again?

If some kid wants a tattoo or piercing, it's their body, I say let them regardless of what their parents think.

Ok, just a question for you, BRTD, and I want you to seriously think about it: Let's say you own a tatoo parlor, and a five year old comes in and says he wants a tatoo of something or other on his back. He shows you he has the money. So, would you think it is ethical for you as a professional to give this five year old a tatoo simply because he wants one?

no, but that's just my personal decision, it doesn't mean it should be the law.

So you think that five year olds should be allowed to get tattoos, which will remain with them for the rest of their lives, when they aren't really old enough to comprehend the consequences of such a decision?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2005, 05:40:58 PM »

Certainly not if her dad raped her.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2005, 05:42:44 PM »

It depends.

I think there should be safeguards for girls who know for a fact that their mother/father will abuse them mentally or physically if they find out about the abortion.  Im not talking about punishment or a good talking to either.  Im talking about beating the leaving hell out of the girl or mentally scarring her for life.
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2005, 05:43:32 PM »

I voted NO.  A girl should NOT be required to get parental permission in order to make a decision NOT to carry a pregnancy to term.  This requirement can result in suicides, dangerous botched abortions, or even an abortion that takes place in the second or third trimester instead of the first.

Here's another way to describe a parental consent requirement.  A girl MUST carry a pregnancy to term UNLESS her parents allow her to get an abortion.

I can't believe only 25% of us voted NO.  Come on, where are nclib, PALiberal, TexasGurl, etc.?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2005, 05:44:02 PM »

It depends.

I think there should be safeguards for girls who know for a fact that their mother/father will abuse them mentally or physically if they find out about the abortion.  Im not talking about punishment or a good talking to either.  Im talking about beating the leaving hell out of the girl or mentally scarring her for life.

I don't think anyone would want a young girl put in such a situation regardless of one's stance on the issue.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2005, 05:44:34 PM »

No.  If her parents were not abusive intolerants she would tell them on her own.  Whether she does so or not is not the State's business.

Obviously you were never a kid. 

My point is that most parents are judgemental tyrants, so it is wholely unsurprising that girls wouldn't want to expose themselves to abuse.
I try not to do this too often, but this time Im going to have to agree with Opebo.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2005, 05:45:32 PM »

Wow, far more YES support than I thought there'd be. Here in California, Prop 73 is has a good change of passing, but it'll be close.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2005, 05:47:19 PM »

Wow, far more YES support than I thought there'd be. Here in California, Prop 73 is has a good change of passing, but it'll be close.

According to the latest polling 73 should pass by around 10% or so.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2005, 05:57:39 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2005, 06:22:59 PM by Prudeator DanielX »

Given that I don't think murdering the unborn is something that even adults should do, then the question is moot.

If a girl has reason to believe that her parents would abuse her because of her pregnancy, she should go to the police. Otherwise she should tell her parents and, unless there is a large risk to her health, carry the baby to term.

PEANUTS! POPCORN! RAISINETS!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2005, 05:58:45 PM »

I don't believe they should have to get parental consent for minor medical procedures either though.

Abortion is not a minor medical procedure.

No, it's not, I just think that minors shouldn't require permission for either.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2005, 06:02:28 PM »

Not really, this will lead to more child abuse.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2005, 08:18:17 PM »

I voted NO.  A girl should NOT be required to get parental permission in order to make a decision NOT to carry a pregnancy to term.  This requirement can result in suicides, dangerous botched abortions, or even an abortion that takes place in the second or third trimester instead of the first.

Here's another way to describe a parental consent requirement.  A girl MUST carry a pregnancy to term UNLESS her parents allow her to get an abortion.

I can't believe only 25% of us voted NO.  Come on, where are nclib, PALiberal, TexasGurl, etc.?

I agree. If a girl can't make decisions about abortion, how can she make decisions regarding being a mother?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2005, 08:27:26 PM »

Yes. If a minor needs parental consent for even minor medical procedures, then she certainly needs parental consent for abortion.

I also don't agree with that one either.  Some parents are Christian Scientists who destroy their children's health over religion which IMO is worng.  I answered NO of course.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2005, 08:19:28 AM »

I see both sides of the issue. In 95% of cases, parental notification is a pretty good idea. Most parents react reasonably to finding their kid in an extreme situation.

Case in point: My mother's parents are what Opebo would call religious prudes or intolerants. Nevertheless, when my mother got pregnant at 18 (she was still living with them), they sat her down and calmly discussed her options. Although they were generally rather strict and moralistic, they actually said to my mother "you don't have to marry him if you don't want to," which is very at odds with their religious beliefs.

She married him in any case, and recently celebrated their 23 anniversary.

The problem is that 5% of parents become most unreasonable when their kid is in an extreme situation. Like some other posters, I'm talking here about the parents that would physically or mentally abuse the child. Requiring even parental notification would provide these parents with an excuse to beat the hell out of the daughter who is already is a terrible situation.

That is why I must come down against parental notification and consent, even though the people who argue in favor of it have excellent points and generally have their hearts in the right place.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2005, 09:01:54 AM »

Yes.  Minors have to have parental consent on any other form of major or minor operation, so having an abortion (which is a major procedure) should not be an exception.  Kids lack insurance coverage of their own, so if they were to have a procedure without parental consent, then they are not covered.  If something goes wrong, the kid might have no recourse.
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2005, 09:03:57 AM »

Yes.  Minors have to have parental consent on any other form of major or minor operation, so having an abortion (which is a major procedure) should not be an exception.  Kids lack insurance coverage of their own, so if they were to have a procedure without parental consent, then they are not covered.  If something goes wrong, the kid might have no recourse.

Very true. Basically, Kids are nothing but property in the eyes of the law. Therefore killing a kid with life-insurance, etc. should be also considered destruction of property.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2005, 12:01:58 PM »

According to the latest polling 73 should pass by around 10% or so.

I'm assuming that this proposition 73 is a theocratic measure aimed at harming young women.

If so, I think it is informative as to what the situation will be like after the Supreme Court overturns the right to privacy.  Those who think the Free States will be numerous are, I think, quite wrong.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2005, 08:30:58 PM »

Yes, of course. 
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2009, 10:54:08 PM »

Yes. At the very least, notification.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2009, 11:06:39 PM »

I, like 55 percent of Oregonians, voted against parental notification for minors' abortions. Let alone "consent," lol- what kind of redneck garbage is that?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2009, 11:07:20 PM »

Most definitely not.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2009, 11:48:54 PM »

No, nope, and nay.

It should be "encouraged". I can sympathize with the other side, but we have to be realistic here. Some people are crazy, and some of these crazy people are parents.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2009, 11:56:47 PM »

No, nope, and nay.

It should be "encouraged". I can sympathize with the other side, but we have to be realistic here. Some people are crazy, and some of these crazy people are parents.

You have to have parental consent to watch a PG13 movie, but its fine to get an abortion? Really?
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2009, 12:07:44 AM »

No, nope, and nay.

You have to have parental consent to watch a PG13 movie, but its fine to get an abortion? Really?
abortions are good. wanna fight me on it, Mr will never have the choice to make because I am not a female?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies