Who SHOULD win the Dem nomination...even though they probably won't!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 04:30:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who SHOULD win the Dem nomination...even though they probably won't!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Who SHOULD win the Dem nomination...even though they probably won't!  (Read 7874 times)
Wakie
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2004, 04:08:28 PM »

jrav, could you hook me up with a link to that one?  Thanks.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2004, 04:10:17 PM »

The ABC News superdelegate estimate as of Monday, January 5 at 9:00 am:

Howard Dean—90

John Kerry—59

Dick Gephardt—49

Wesley Clark—24

Joe Lieberman—20

John Edwards—16

Carol Moseley Braun—4

Al Sharpton—3

Dennis Kucinich—2

Where the hell is Kerry getting 59 delegates from?  The moon?

I would also like a linnk to that, if possible.
jravnsbo

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2004, 04:15:52 PM »

found it at www.abcnews.com   then go tot he politics section, then go to "The Note"  a very informative page of stories from around the nation.

Good source.
Enjoy Smiley
jrav, could you hook me up with a link to that one?  Thanks.
jravnsbo

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2004, 04:17:16 PM »

These are SUPER delegates their votes count more than normal delegates and are usually party officials, such as congressman, former presidents and nominees, senators, and a few party heads, governors too I think, each party is different.
jravnsbo

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2004, 04:20:27 PM »

went to the Note quick to make it easier for you guys.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/politics/TheNote/TheNote.html
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2004, 04:31:46 PM »

Very interesting .... especially after watching the debate yesterday.  The Edwards, Leiberman, Clark, Gephardt, & Kerry superdelegates seem more likely to line up together behind one of them than with Dean.  That would gave said candidate a commanding 168 Superdelegate total.  Their supporters would also likely fall into line.  Dean's nomination is far from certain.
jravnsbo

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2004, 04:33:36 PM »

not as familiar with dem rules.  How many delegates are needed and how do superdelegates count in comparison to regular delegates?

Very interesting .... especially after watching the debate yesterday.  The Edwards, Leiberman, Clark, Gephardt, & Kerry superdelegates seem more likely to line up together behind one of them than with Dean.  That would gave said candidate a commanding 168 Superdelegate total.  Their supporters would also likely fall into line.  Dean's nomination is far from certain.
nonluddite

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2004, 10:05:05 PM »

These are SUPER delegates their votes count more than normal delegates and are usually party officials, such as congressman, former presidents and nominees, senators, and a few party heads, governors too I think, each party is different.

Amazingly, the Republican Party is more democratic than the Democratic Party in the nomination process.  I believe that it was put into place so that outsiders and other unelectable candidates would get trumped by the insiders in the know.

Who will win: Dean
VP: Indiana Senator Bayh--rising star in the Democratic Party who is from the Midwest to stem Dem losses there (2000 Ohio, 2004 Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin)

Who should win: Lieberman--The DLC has the only winning strategy (Clinton) since LBJ
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2004, 10:07:02 PM »

Howard Dean—90

John Kerry—59

Dick Gephardt—49

Wesley Clark—24

Joe Lieberman—20

John Edwards—16

Carol Moseley Braun—4

Al Sharpton—3

Dennis Kucinich—2

Is this for the Iowa Caucus?
jravnsbo

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2004, 11:37:47 PM »

Doubt it will be Bayh ( psst he's now a washington Insider, yikes!- to Dean at least).  Plus he is running for reelection and GOP may capture Gov office this fall.

Amazingly, the Republican Party is more democratic than the Democratic Party in the nomination process.  I believe that it was put into place so that outsiders and other unelectable candidates would get trumped by the insiders in the know.

Who will win: Dean
VP: Indiana Senator Bayh--rising star in the Democratic Party who is from the Midwest to stem Dem losses there (2000 Ohio, 2004 Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin)

Who should win: Lieberman--The DLC has the only winning strategy (Clinton) since LBJ
jravnsbo

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2004, 11:39:23 PM »

No soul man, its the current total of SUPERDELEGATES ont he dem side.  Party bosses, ex presidents and such, congressmen, senate that get more of a pull than a normal delegate int eh primaries and caucuses.

Howard Dean—90

John Kerry—59

Dick Gephardt—49

Wesley Clark—24

Joe Lieberman—20

John Edwards—16

Carol Moseley Braun—4

Al Sharpton—3

Dennis Kucinich—2

jravnsbo

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2004, 11:41:57 PM »

ADVERTISEMENT

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P04/D.phtml

That web site has the full accounting of the delegates - it refers to
super delegates as "PLEO", or Party Leaders and Elected Officials. I
think its 1178 out of 4322, so a very significant amount. Republicans
also have these kinds of delegates but its only 165 out of 2509 and just
the state party chairmen and RNC members.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2004, 02:37:48 AM »

No soul man, its the current total of SUPERDELEGATES ont he dem side.  Party bosses, ex presidents and such, congressmen, senate that get more of a pull than a normal delegate int eh primaries and caucuses.

Howard Dean—90

John Kerry—59

Dick Gephardt—49

Wesley Clark—24

Joe Lieberman—20

John Edwards—16

Carol Moseley Braun—4

Al Sharpton—3

Dennis Kucinich—2

Superdelegates?  I swear, the Democrats make no sence.  I don't get there primaries, there views or .... anything about them.  Thank God I'm a Republican.

PS  Doesn't the idea of "Superdelegates" go against the whole "one man, one vote" idea.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2004, 12:15:49 PM »

Actually, aren't the Republicans using superdelegates for the first time this year?  I'm pretty sure they aren't calling them superdelegates but members of the Republican National Committee are going to be automatic delegates in '04.  They have no accountability to any primary, caucus or convention.

The Democrats have been doing the same thing for a while now.  Each superdelegate (for both Dems and Repubs) has a vote equal to that of a regular delegate.

I am unaware of any election though where the superdelegates changed the results.
jravnsbo

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2004, 02:37:12 PM »

Yes GOP has superdelegates but a very small % unlike Dems were they have a large percent.

Usually the delegates don't matter except in a split convention which is not out of possibilities yet.

Actually, aren't the Republicans using superdelegates for the first time this year?  I'm pretty sure they aren't calling them superdelegates but members of the Republican National Committee are going to be automatic delegates in '04.  They have no accountability to any primary, caucus or convention.

The Democrats have been doing the same thing for a while now.  Each superdelegate (for both Dems and Repubs) has a vote equal to that of a regular delegate.

I am unaware of any election though where the superdelegates changed the results.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies