Why I think we are at war (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:07:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Why I think we are at war (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why I think we are at war  (Read 8494 times)
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« on: May 07, 2004, 04:53:09 PM »

Hey, all... i've been too busy to post for a long time, but just so you know, I am alive Smiley

The subject of the repressed photos of flag-draped coffins came up on another site I participate in, and I thought I'd post this little essay here as well:

People on both sides of the political isle don't understand what this war is really about.

This is not a war for oil. If our prime interest was really to secure Iraq's oil fields, US Big Oil could have just visited Iraq with several dumptrucks full of cash and said "you play nice, 'k?" Win-win situation all around.

This is not a war to protect the American people from terrorism. In a world in which our true threat is from Islamist extremists, a secular dictator is the least of our worries. If anything, it keeps us more safe, since Saddam was very good as tearing out all religious extremism at the root. Furthermore, Saddam was smart enough not to try anything stupid, as the world was watching him like a hawk. He was no immediate threat to us.

What this is really about is the neo-conservative ideology that American military might is the solution to the world's ills. The philosophy goes something along the lines of "Hey, we have the most powerful and advanced military in the history of mankind. Why aren't we f-ing using it?" The neo-cons honestly believe that we can make the world a Better Place through force. They have a grand vision that we can democratize and stabilize the world's trouble spots with a few F-14s and Bradley fighting vehicles. That decades- and centruies-old conflicts will be dropped once everyone has freedom and democracy. The intentions are good, but somewhere along line they have forgotten the consequences of invading an occupying a foriegn land, and that war, even with the best of intentions, is hell.

This is why our friends and loved ones are dying.

Now, to cover their asses, because they've gotten themselves tangled up in something they never really thoroughly thought through, they are trying to do as much PR damage control as they possibly can. They think that they are always one or two successful offensives away from ending the conflict, and if they can just candy-coat the war, they'll keep the American public on their side just long enough to finish operations. THAT is why the Bush administration is adamant about keeping these pictures from the public.

Maybe my analysis is incorrect, but things sure look that way with each passing month.
Good analysis and probably very close of true.

Unlike most Europeans I have never believed that oil was the big reason. (It had some effect of course) Most Europeans don't understand how idealistic Americans are. And that is biggest reason why so many people here think that USA is imperialistic.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 08:59:08 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2004, 09:17:14 AM by Huckleberry Finn »

beef, we have always had venezuela and texas and louisiana and a closer relationship with the House of Saud than most OECD countries, so we pay a bit less for gasoline.  But it's hard to ignore the Vice President's and the President's business connections to the refining and petrochemical businesses.  I don't know whether it's a kneejerk overestimation, or an idealistic underestimation.  But I have to assume that, hostile or not, a hundred and twenty thousand US troops in the fertile crescent is better on my gasoline budget than a hundred and twenty thousand Iraqi troops.  but I'm generally a consumer, not a capitalist.  If I were a petrocapitalist, I think it still stands to reason that I'd rather my boys, not saddam's, not chirac's, not vladimir's, guard the ports and the wells, wouldn't you?
War is poor business. Look what is oil price now. Look what is economical, political and human cost of war.

It is begining to seem clear, that war was mistake. Right time of this war was in 1991. But now you are there and you should keep your forces there. Withdrawing is NO solution.  

It's ironic that finally this war will benefit most the people of Iraq (or at least I want to believe that) not people of USA. I accepted this war, because I couldn't see peaceful overthrowing of Saddam regime. There was two alternatives: the foreign intervention or the civil war.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies