Would you vote to confirm Islam supporter Alito?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:49:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Would you vote to confirm Islam supporter Alito?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Would you vote to confirm Islam supporter Alito?
yes (R)

no (R)

yes (D)

no (D)

yes (I/third party)

no (I/third party)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Would you vote to confirm Islam supporter Alito?  (Read 3731 times)
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2005, 08:45:41 PM »

BRTD...I must say you have been scaring me recently with this sudden wave of Islamophobia.  I mean, we've always known you weren't the biggest fan, but still....

Heck, at least opebo's consistent when he attacks religion...
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2005, 08:55:29 PM »

Go hang out with you Jemo friends (aka Jihad Emo), BRTD.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2005, 09:48:20 PM »

Can we ban MacTrollan?
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2005, 09:53:25 PM »

You are such a hypocrite. You talk about loving your version of "freedom", but your hatred of Muslims is disgusting. Why do you hate them so much? Did you go to school with a Muslim who had a larger penis then you or something?

Roll Eyes
Don't you all just love how the Casey cronies on this site have such an impressive vocabulary.
Don't you all just love how the Pennacchio cronies on this site have such an impressive....um....nothing. Tongue

nothing? WOW! what whit! what profundity! what cleverness!
have you considered MENSA? you really really should
Yes I am sure we are ever so Impressed with your ability to scorch the earth with your grandiosity, I could just... oh I don't know maybe ignore you from now on Smiley Smiley
What a jemo.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2005, 09:55:04 PM »

nothing? WOW! what whit! what profundity! what cleverness!
have you considered MENSA? you really really should
Yes I am sure we are ever so Impressed with your ability to scorch the earth with your grandiosity, I could just... oh I don't know maybe ignore you from now on Smiley Smiley

Or just stop posting.  We already have several mentally handicapped people around here, and most of them can use punctuation properly.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2005, 11:32:41 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2005, 11:36:26 PM by Booo Red Than Dead »

You are such a hypocrite. You talk about loving your version of "freedom", but your hatred of Muslims is disgusting. Why do you hate them so much? Did you go to school with a Muslim who had a larger penis then you or something?

No. I've actually had a Muslim buy me booze before when I was underage and sober cab me and my friends after a party. (That's pretty damn ironic actually...)

No, my problem with Islam is that it's a pretty intolerant religion, for example just look at that new president of Iran. Oh and that they do things like mutilate infant girls and stone adulterers and kill female relatives they think have "dishonored" the family. One of the things that very close to home that annoyed me a lot was Somali gangs in Minneapolis vandalizing Christian churches for pretty much no damn reason at all, considering no one is vandalizing their mosques.

Oh, and I'm not really a big fan of things like this either: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=30992.0

But one of the things that annoys me most isn't from Muslims, it's having idiots like dazzleman and StatesRights claim that liberals are the ones saying Islam is a "religion of peace", (the person who has used the term most is Bush), and saying that liberals are pro-Islam.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2005, 11:45:51 PM »

No. I've actually had a Muslim buy me booze before when I was underage and sober cab me and my friends after a party. (That's pretty damn ironic actually...)
Well good for you.

No, my problem with Islam is that it's a pretty intolerant religion, for example just look at that new president of Iran. Oh and that they do things like mutilate infant girls and stone adulterers and kill female relatives they think have "dishonored" the family. One of the things that very close to home that annoyed me a lot was Somali gangs in Minneapolis vandalizing Christian churches for pretty much no damn reason at all, considering no one is vandalizing their mosques.
First off, do you really think the President of Iran is representative of an entire religion. Secondly, disgusting cases like the beheadings are rare. It's not like every Muslim has chopped off a girl's head. And the stoning are rare, nowadays, but many people in the Catholic Church did that ages ago, and Islam is a pretty young religion. Finally, are gangs really representative of a group of people? Do what a few people do represent an entire religion?

Yeah, because if you don't hold bigotry towards Muslims, you are a big fan of having heads chopped off. No wait....

But one of the things that annoys me most isn't from Muslims, it's having idiots like dazzleman and StatesRights claim that liberals are the ones saying Islam is a "religion of peace", (the person who has used the term most is Bush), and saying that liberals are pro-Islam.
Calling dazzleman and StatesRights idiots is a bit much. They're just very misguided on this issue (like you and your sexuality). I'm reasonably liberal, and I'm pro-Islam. There, go ahead, hate me now.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2005, 11:58:04 PM »

I'd be uncomfortable if a Muslim was a cop.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2005, 12:01:09 AM »

I didn't know Jesus was a racist. Unless you are a fake Jesus. Also, the beard ban affects all bearded police officers, not only Muslim ones, so I don't think that it's fair to ban all police officers from having facial hair.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2005, 12:01:40 AM »

First off, do you really think the President of Iran is representative of an entire religion.

Well Iran is called the Islamic Republic of Iran. It's a country based on the principles of Islam.

We can also look at another supposedly "liberal" Muslim country like Malaysia which for a long time elected a Prime Minister who claimed something along the lines of that the AIDS virus was created by the Jews. Or we can look at Bush's favorite country, Saudi Arabia, which mandates that The Protocols of the Elders of Zion be taught in schools.

Secondly, disgusting cases like the beheadings are rare. It's not like every Muslim has chopped off a girl's head. And the stoning are rare, nowadays

Not really. It's the law in many countries. For example, take this map:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ea/Gaymap.PNG

Now, what do all the countries that have the death penalty for homosexuality have in common?

but many people in the Catholic Church did that ages ago

And as you said ages ago. And I'm not Catholic anyway.

Not really. There are plenty of far more new ones. Look at all those New Age sects. When have they carried out suicide bombings or beheadings? Hell, even the Mormons, much as I dislike them for other things and being pretty intolerant in general, at least don't stone and behead gays and adulterers.

Finally, are gangs really representative of a group of people? Do what a few people do represent an entire religion?

Well no. But like I said, no one's vandalizing mosques. Plus most of these people aren't even citizens, which means that they are basically vandalizing and attacking the predominant religion of the country kind enough to let them stay while their's is stuck in anarchy and civil war. Now that's not very nice is it?

Calling dazzleman and StatesRights idiots is a bit much. They're just very misguided on this issue (like you and your sexuality).

They're not misguided, they're outright incorrect. They say liberals love Islam. Now note that every person bashing me in this thread is significantly more conservative than me.

I'm reasonably liberal, and I'm pro-Islam. There, go ahead, hate me now.

I'd say you're libertarian.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2005, 12:03:44 AM »

I didn't know Jesus was a racist. Unless you are a fake Jesus. Also, the beard ban affects all bearded police officers, not only Muslim ones, so I don't think that it's fair to ban all police officers from having facial hair.

Islam isn't a race, its a dangerous ideology comparable to Nazism.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2005, 12:05:23 AM »
« Edited: November 03, 2005, 12:07:00 AM by Lt. Governor Everett »

Yeah, I like how you avoid every point Casey makes against you and put it back on someone else. Your last line was the ultimate "wimp" line - oh, no, you aren't a liberal, you're a libertarian, I couldn't possibly stand having someone as tolerant as you associated with the group which I flaunt and flaunt! Whine whine whine! If you made this thread to bitch and moan about dazzleman/StatesRights, which I highly suspect, then please march right into a crummy Playboy-esque forum and bitch and moan about them there instead of rather shoddily disgusing your complaints and posting them in the form of a complaint about Alito.

P.S. You are misguided on your views on sexuality, by the way, maybe even "outright incorrect".
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2005, 12:21:47 AM »

First off, do you really think the President of Iran is representative of an entire religion.

Well Iran is called the Islamic Republic of Iran. It's a country based on the principles of Islam.

We can also look at another supposedly "liberal" Muslim country like Malaysia which for a long time elected a Prime Minister who claimed something along the lines of that the AIDS virus was created by the Jews. Or we can look at Bush's favorite country, Saudi Arabia, which mandates that The Protocols of the Elders of Zion be taught in schools.
Once again, you're failling to realize that governments do not represent a religion. Does the Vatican or Nazi Germany represent Christianity?

Secondly, disgusting cases like the beheadings are rare. It's not like every Muslim has chopped off a girl's head. And the stoning are rare, nowadays

Not really. It's the law in many countries. For example, take this map:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ea/Gaymap.PNG

Now, what do all the countries that have the death penalty for homosexuality have in common?
They all have very totalitarian governments. But if you were referring to Islam, Guyana isn't Islamic. And that's homosexuality. Many "Christians" support killing homosexuals (Fred Phelps, etc.), do they represent Christianity? Just like many government officials (who are extremists, not mainstream Muslims) are supposedly "Muslim".

but many people in the Catholic Church did that ages ago

And as you said ages ago. And I'm not Catholic anyway.
You're not Catholic? *Gasp* Like I give a damn what you are. Many people like Calvin and Luther encourage violence against Jews. They certainly weren't peaceful.

Not really. There are plenty of far more new ones. Look at all those New Age sects. When have they carried out suicide bombings or beheadings? Hell, even the Mormons, much as I dislike them for other things and being pretty intolerant in general, at least don't stone and behead gays and adulterers.
Maybe you've been misinformed, but many New Age Churches are more violent than extremist Muslims. I think I heard about a few gas attacks in Japan...using Sarin....by Aum Shinrikyo....nah, that's not true. But they are extremists, just like the extremist Muslims. I'm not sure if you'd be happy if people associated Christians like us with Fred Phelps and Alan Keyes and other similiar wackos, but...

Finally, are gangs really representative of a group of people? Do what a few people do represent an entire religion?

Well no. But like I said, no one's vandalizing mosques. Plus most of these people aren't even citizens, which means that they are basically vandalizing and attacking the predominant religion of the country kind enough to let them stay while their's is stuck in anarchy and civil war. Now that's not very nice is it?
No, it's not nice. But then again, how many Mosques are there in Mankato? It shows class on behalf of many people that they do not resort to the extremism that the gangstars follow. Of course it's not nice. But what they are doing is nowhere near as bad as the Crusades, when we killed entire villages, destroyed countless Mosques, etc.

Calling dazzleman and StatesRights idiots is a bit much. They're just very misguided on this issue (like you and your sexuality).

They're not misguided, they're outright incorrect. They say liberals love Islam. Now note that every person bashing me in this thread is significantly more conservative than me.
Being more conservative than you isn't that hard. After all, you find communism "cool" and your username is "Better Red Than Dead".

I'm reasonably liberal, and I'm pro-Islam. There, go ahead, hate me now.

I'd say you're libertarian.
You say a lot of things.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2005, 12:44:47 AM »

Once again, you're failling to realize that governments do not represent a religion. Does the Vatican or Nazi Germany represent Christianity?

The Vatican represents Catholicism. It does not represent the rest of Christianity however.

Nazi Germany was ran by a bunch of pagans who considered Christianity a "Jew religion" and wanted to abolish it and replace it with some type of church based on pagan and Norse mythology. Of course they don't represent Christianity, they hated it! Hell in the former Yugoslavia, most Muslims sided with the Nazis and helped them massacre Christian Serbs.

For a country that represents Christianity, try Denmark or Sweden. They have Christian state churches.

They all have very totalitarian governments. But if you were referring to Islam, Guyana isn't Islamic.

And that's homosexuality. Many "Christians" support killing homosexuals (Fred Phelps, etc.), do they represent Christianity? Just like many government officials (who are extremists, not mainstream Muslims) are supposedly "Muslim".[/quote]

Guyana doesn't have the death penalty, it's orange, not dark red. And it does have a somewhat sizable Islamic minority. Mostly Christian Democratic Republic of the Congo which has a rather repressive government now too doesn't have any penalties for homosexuality.

Phelps isn't a Christian. He has absolutely no following whatsoever outside of his sick cult. And there is no chance of groups supporting the death penalty for homosexuality taking over in any Christian country.

You're not Catholic? *Gasp* Like I give a damn what you are. Many people like Calvin and Luther encourage violence against Jews. They certainly weren't peaceful.

I really really dislike Calvin and I'm not a huge fan of Luther largely for that reason (despite the fact my church is named after him.) I prefer someone like Jan Hus.

Maybe you've been misinformed, but many New Age Churches are more violent than extremist Muslims. I think I heard about a few gas attacks in Japan...using Sarin....by Aum Shinrikyo....nah, that's not true. But they are extremists, just like the extremist Muslims. I'm not sure if you'd be happy if people associated Christians like us with Fred Phelps and Alan Keyes and other similiar wackos, but...

Aum Shinrikyo wasn't really New Age, they were a bizzare Buddhist offshoot. I suppose you could bring up Heaven's Gate but they only killed themselves.

Anyway, when's the last time you heard of Neopagans calling for a jihad?

No, it's not nice. But then again, how many Mosques are there in Mankato?

Only one that I know of. But there's a lot more in the Twin Cities where the problems are.

But what they are doing is nowhere near as bad as the Crusades, when we killed entire villages, destroyed countless Mosques, etc.

Peanuts compared to what the Moors and Ottomans did. Plus they kept their repression around a hell of a lot longer.

Being more conservative than you isn't that hard. After all, you find communism "cool" and your username is "Better Red Than Dead".

Well yes. But look at it this way: How many anti-Islam Republicans are there on this forum besides those two? And even dazzleman has said my views are too extremist.

Point is they're wrong.

You say a lot of things.
[/quote]

Just saying that off your PC score.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2005, 12:56:41 AM »

Oh, so is this just another thread where BRTD can flaunt how "anti-Islam" he is whilst condemning others for not hating Islam to the same irrational degree?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2005, 12:59:18 AM »

Oh, so is this just another thread where BRTD can flaunt how "anti-Islam" he is whilst condemning others for not hating Islam to the same irrational degree?

How's it any different from what dazzleman and StatesRights do?

To answer your previous question btw, I have no problems with Jews except Kahanists (basically Jewish fascists) and Likudniks (the party of war criminal Ariel Sharon)
MarkDel

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2005, 01:23:47 AM »

Well, this is gonna shock some folks, but Left of the Dial/Better Red is not as far off base here as many folks are claiming. Yes, his insistence that Alito decided that case wrong is ludicrous, and yes, his condemnation of Dazzleman and StatesRights is equally ludicrous, BUT...

Much of what he has said about the "religion of peace" is right on target. While the majority of Muslims are not running around beheading people, all too many ARE engaged in that sort of behavior. And perhaps more importantly, FAR TOO MANY Muslims who don't actually engage in that sort of behavior, fail to adequately condemn those actions, and in many cases, their silence or tortured rationalizations explaining away such acts, further strengthen the position of the extremists.

I think what Left of the Dial is trying to say (poorly because he's not the sharpest tool in the drawer) is that there is a MAJOR problem with the Islamic Faith, and he is, of course, 100 percent correct. To deny that there is a HUGE problem in Islam today is to deny reality to such an extent that you jeopardize the very existence of future civilization. And the truth is that NEITHER political party has adequately recognized this threat, at least not publicly. Republicans happily spew the lie that this is a "War on Terror" when in fact it is a "War Against Islamic Fascism." And the Democrats don't even acknowledge that a war is required, plus they go around shooting their own country in the foot on a semi-daily basis with their Abu Grabme obsession and their persistent negativity about the progress in the Middle East.

So Left of the Dial may or may not be bigoted against Muslims, but on a political level, he is treading into areas that no one wants to tread out of fear of being labeled racist, etc, etc...but this is a legitimate area of discussion that will eventually need to be contemplated if those of us in the West wish to enjoy a more peaceful future than the world we currently live in. Eventually, Islam will be asked to "purify itself" in order to save itself from external destruction...or, the appeasement crowd who so dominate this forum will continue to carry the debate on their terms, and the West as we know it will fall, and the world will be enveloped by a second Dark Age.

Sound too dramatic? Well, wake the f**ck up boys and girls.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2005, 01:34:42 AM »

Easy there, Mark. You're begining to sound like Prude Kramer.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2005, 04:53:38 AM »

No, my problem with Islam is that it's a pretty intolerant religion,

That's a bit of a blanket statement isn't it? Some sects of Islam are extremely, disgustingly intolerant. Most Muslims do not belong to those sects.
At the same time you have some sects which can often be very tolerant of other faiths; Sufism is a good example of that.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He's just a brainless bigot. I don't think that threatening the very existence of Israel and calling for "a World without Zionism" (for Zionism read: Jews) is especially consistent with the old Islamic principle of tolerating the "People of the Book" (Christians and Jews). Sadly a longrunning feature of moronic rulers like him been to ignore things like that and frame mindless bigotry within a semi-religious framework.

Not all Muslims do that at all. The problem is very widespread in parts of West Africa among people of all religions.

Again, not all Muslims do that. Amusingly (albeit in a dark way) stoning is a traditional (and barbaric but you know that) Middle Eastern punishment that somehow got wound up in the traditions of certain Islamic sects and for no good reason whatsoever. Doesn't have much to do with the actual religion at all.

"Honour Killings" are an old (and barbaric, but you know that) tribal custom that has sometimes been justified on (extremely flimsy) religious grounds.
Note that the honour being slighted is that of the extended family, not the religion or anything like that. Go figure.

So? You get morons and you get bigots in every community. Most Muslims are not members of Somali gangs in Minneapolis.

And I can assure you most Muslims and certainly most Muslims in Indonesia are just as appalled by that sort of thing as you are. And I don't see how mindless murders of people of another faith has much to do with Islam; Muslims are certainly not supposed to do that to Christians (see above).

You've said that too many times for me to bother to count to use as a put down on you.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2005, 04:57:39 AM »
« Edited: November 03, 2005, 05:10:54 AM by Senator Porce »

Easy there, Mark. You're begining to sound like Prude Kramer.

I think Mark raises some valid points about Islam.  Most Muslims do not support or condone terrorism, and in the United States, from what I have seen, it is generally an acceptable religion.  But the lifestyle that it has bred in the Middle East should be enough to give people pause- religion of peace or not, it is doing little good for the Middle East, which is an area of poverty, chaos, division, and barbaric practices such as the attitude towards women and polygamy.

Note:  didn't mean to imply that Middle East poverty is caused by Islam, but I wouldn't rule out any indirect linkings
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2005, 05:05:43 AM »

Hardly. It's based around the insane delusions of a long dead lunatic called Khomeni. Not that his positions on things tends to be used as justification for nutty policies more than the Koran.

So? The guy I think you're talking about said a lot of vile things about all sorts of peoples. He was basically a dictator and generally rigged elections and intimidated the opposition.

I don't see what that has to do with the hysterical rant that started this topic.

Saudi Arabia is run by Wahabbis. Wahabbis are nuts. Thankfully most Muslims are not Wahabbis.

Totalitarian governments maybe?
And your nasty little arguement neatly dissolves itself when you look at all those countries with "large penalties" for homosexuality. Hey look! Is that Cuba there?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2005, 07:50:44 AM »

Alito ruled that a police department could not ban beards after a lawsuit by Muslims.
Only sane and reasonable ruling possible, from the sound of it.
Next question.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies