Who is the real republican - George Allen or John McCain
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:56:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Who is the real republican - George Allen or John McCain
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who is the real republican - George Allen or John McCain
George Allen (d)

John McCain (d)

George Allen (r)

John McCain (r)

George Allen (i)

John McCain (i)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 16

Author Topic: Who is the real republican - George Allen or John McCain  (Read 1022 times)
MissCatholic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 02, 2005, 01:27:32 PM »

After the Harriet Miers episode, the attacks on the gang of 14, the Christine Whitman book - its my party too - i was wonderring has the republican party changed in the last say 10-20 years.

We have 4 moderate republicans in the senate - Chafee, Snowe, Collins and Spector. McCain, Dewine and a few others are a little more conservative than the 4 moderates but then we have around 30 senators that hold modern Conservative values. And about 8-10 that are just simple ultra conservative - Santorum, Sessions, Allard etc.

Is George Allen the real republican or John McCain. McCain failed in 2000 and will fail in 2008 as red america has gone further to the right. McCain and Guiliani will need to win the democratic states if they wish to win the nomination but they will find great difficulty in doing this especially if Allen is the only conservative left in the race.

So whos the real republican Allen or McCain?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 01:30:01 PM »

Hard to say. Both are "real Republicans". McCain is a solid conservative while Allen is more of a far-right conservative that the Religious Right loves.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 01:30:29 PM »

They are both real Republicans, just like Kennedy and Miller are both real Democrats.  Of course, this "real" definition is based solely on party identification since each party consists of conservative, moderate, and liberal groups (one of the big flaws of the two-party dominated system).  The question is, if in an ideal world where I snap my fingers and the concept of Democrat and Republican were to disappear, would McCain and Allen end up in the same group after reforming?  I'd say yes.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 07:32:36 PM »

Allen is more in line with the views of the average Republican voter.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 07:37:20 PM »

It's a sad commentary on the long-term success of leftism in the US that Allen is considered anything other than a moderate by anyone with a brain. Well, scoonie doesn't have a brain, but I mean even rational people.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 08:54:23 PM »

It's a sad commentary on the long-term success of leftism in the US that Allen is considered anything other than a moderate by anyone with a brain. Well, scoonie doesn't have a brain, but I mean even rational people.

Allen isn't a moderate, he votes with his party about 95% of the time.  I wouldn't call him an extremist, he's just always in lock-step with the base of the party.  If you call Allen a moderate you have to call Jon Corzine or John Kerry (the liberal equivalents of Allen) moderates also.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies