Is one of my former professors a lunatic nutjob?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:06:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is one of my former professors a lunatic nutjob?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: Is one of my former professors a lunatic nutjob?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Is one of my former professors a lunatic nutjob?  (Read 7847 times)
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2005, 12:52:01 AM »

Yeah, I'm immensely thankful that I'm a Mathematics major - at least I have every reason to expect that my math professors, who are supposed to be teaching math, will not blindly spew out hyper-liberal political bullsh**t at random intervals and expect everyone to be stupid enough to believe it without question. If we were discussing a hyper-conservative professor, I'm sure that the hyper-liberals here would be pouncing all over him/her; I don't see why we make exceptions for certain... oh wait, it's because we are with someone who makes us feel warm and fuzzy inside and therefore the person must be absolutely right!!!!11

P.S. I would not even tolerate a Libertarian professor randomly spewing out completely irrelevant and presumably untruthful bullsh**t that detracts from the lecture, so don't start trying to look for ways to punch holes in my argument.

Thats part of why I hated math in school. Its such a pointless, rigid subject. "x has to equal y", etc. Thats why I liked liberal arts, there was a wide degree of interpretation and there was no one right answer.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2005, 12:55:40 AM »

Yeah, I'm immensely thankful that I'm a Mathematics major - at least I have every reason to expect that my math professors, who are supposed to be teaching math, will not blindly spew out hyper-liberal political bullsh**t at random intervals and expect everyone to be stupid enough to believe it without question. If we were discussing a hyper-conservative professor, I'm sure that the hyper-liberals here would be pouncing all over him/her; I don't see why we make exceptions for certain... oh wait, it's because we are with someone who makes us feel warm and fuzzy inside and therefore the person must be absolutely right!!!!11

P.S. I would not even tolerate a Libertarian professor randomly spewing out completely irrelevant and presumably untruthful bullsh**t that detracts from the lecture, so don't start trying to look for ways to punch holes in my argument.

Thats part of why I hated math in school. Its such a pointless, rigid subject. "x has to equal y", etc. Thats why I liked liberal arts, there was a wide degree of interpretation and there was no one right answer.
And how far, pray tell me, have you gotten in my "pointless, rigid subject"?

I function best when I do not have to constantly tolerate pointless bullsh**t - particularly when "no one right answer" is presented as the "right" answer despite the presumably clear implication that there is "no one right answer" - which is precisely why I love my subject and fully intend to teach it at the university level, preferably without pointless bullsh**t involved. Also, if you are into theoretical Mathematics, there is "no one right answer", so your argument doesn't apply here. Wink
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2005, 02:05:26 AM »

Personally, this is why I like math.  It doesn't beat around the bush: everything in it is either true or it isn't.  I like science more than liberal arts because the difference between the two is that, while liberal arts essentially just scratches its chin speculating about what the truth might or might not be, science is actively finding out what the truth actually is.  It may seem overly rigid, but there's a reason for that: it has to be completely, 100% unambiguous so that it can be definitively determined whether or not something follows from something else.  You can't discern truth without having everyone involved know precisely what is being said.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2005, 02:11:10 AM »

This guy taught Ethnic Studies my freshman year. He has a Ph.D. He's been teaching for more than 20 years.

99% of College Professors are nutjobs, so in all likelihood, I say yes.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2005, 02:13:17 AM »

This guy taught Ethnic Studies my freshman year. He has a Ph.D. He's been teaching for more than 20 years.

College professors who understand the intricate workings of theoretical physics or advanced mathematics are nutjobs?

You might want to better quantify that statement. Tongue
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2005, 02:17:01 AM »

My Aunt thanks you. Tongue
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2005, 02:18:15 AM »

LOL!
Good thing you don't think 100%, because you'd have to get off the web. It was invented by someone who is currently a professor.

Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2005, 02:20:42 AM »

LOL!
Good thing you don't think 100%, because you'd have to get off the web. It was invented by someone who is currently a professor.

I thought the inventor of the internet is a former Vice President, not a professor. If so, that one is a nut.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2005, 02:21:01 AM »

College professors who understand the intricate workings of theoretical physics or advanced mathematics are nutjobs?
[/quote]

Believe it or not my Psychology teacher spent a half hour last class just on promoting his liberal political ideology.  It does happen-they have the floor, so they just have to take the time to spread their political agenda.

My Aunt thanks you. Tongue

Or is she part of the 1% that isn't?  Shocked
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2005, 02:21:58 AM »

LOL!

I thought the inventor of the internet is a former Vice President, not a professor. If so, that one is a nut.

1. I was talking about the world wide web, not the internet
2. Al Gore never said he invented the Internet.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2005, 04:43:15 AM »

It was more a reference to what you actually do (or more to the point don't do) in lectures and stuff. Thames Valley is by far the worst uni in the U.K
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2005, 07:01:03 AM »

I voted No

You shouldn't tell people about this, Left of the Dial, it'll only vindicate the whole notion of colleges as "Ivory Towers" of liberalism.

Yes, he should keep his mouth shut.  God forbid that people should know the truth.  We can't let the people who say that colleges are "ivory towers" of liberalism know that they're right.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2005, 07:08:43 AM »

Theres obviously a reason why conservatives are absent at universities and it largely stems from academic failure at the high school level.

No, it's because most conservatives actually go out and do something productive and positive, rather than sit around a university and tell lies to their foolish young charges.  You live in a dream world.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2005, 08:46:29 AM »

As for what the video had to do with the class, well nothing. But Swingers and The Breakfast Club don't have anything to do with Speech either, and we got to watch those movies in that class.

As for using the class to bash Bush and push political views, I can't think of many professors who DON'T do that. Take my Geography professor this year. He used the Kashmiri earthquake as an opportunity to talk about how Bush only lent them 8 hour helicopters to deal with relief out of the hundreds we have in the region, and how the Bush administration has screwed up on just about every disaster relief case so far.

Oh, and the Ethnic Studies guy is never being fired. He is very very popular among students, and the university is so liberal it distributed "voter guides" that were published by an openly communist organization.

Wow, your university sucks ass.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2005, 10:58:00 AM »
« Edited: November 04, 2005, 11:06:39 AM by phknrocket1k »

Theres obviously a reason why conservatives are absent at universities and it largely stems from academic failure at the high school level.

No, it's because most conservatives actually go out and do something productive and positive, rather than sit around a university and tell lies to their foolish young charges.  You live in a dream world.

Like what? Most of these virulent conservatives will succumb to alchoholism, wife-beating in thier later years, end up whining about the illegal immigrants thier parents used to hire. The footballs must have hit them a little too hard in the head, or the years of stealing money out of thier CEO grandfathers wallet to buy cocaine has set in as well.

Most Young Republicans I know usually engage in these sort of reckless activities largely because thier parents will always bail them out so they don't have to take any responsibility for thier actions.

I'm pretty sure this is one major factor for low GPAs @ the high school level. Even simply observing the 'bone-head' classes vs the 'AP' classes you'll catch the drift of whose in what position.

They are good for parties (they are willing to provide everything, bongs and marijuana the whole lot) and they have nice cars though. I'll give you that
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2005, 11:05:51 AM »

Well, there's one thing for sure - most of us enjoy classes where we hear whatever we want to hear.

Gabu and I like hearing accurate, constructive information from our professors.

BRTD obviously likes hearing mindless bullsh**t to the point where he's fully willing to pay to hear mindless bullsh**t that he likes, and I'm sure that the people who voted "no" also do (Pym Fortuyn, opebo, etc). Sad.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2005, 11:11:40 AM »

Well, there's one thing for sure - most of us enjoy classes where we hear whatever we want to hear.

Well of course, if you disagree with something, you'll think its biased.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2005, 11:11:58 AM »

Gabu, CheeseWhiz and I like hearing accurate, constructive information from our professors.

^ How it should read Grin

I hate having a bias in anything, even if it's a bias for my view.  So much, actually, I will debate for the other side of an issue if I think someone's being unfair in what they're saying, even if I strongly don't agree with that side of the issue Tongue
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2005, 11:13:26 AM »

I disagree with your idea that we should turn Mecca into a pig farm, you biased... Wink
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2005, 11:14:56 AM »

I disagree with your idea that we should turn Mecca into a pig farm, you biased... Wink

Of course, thats a great example.

I dont want to turn Mecca into a pig farm just because. I'd only endorse the move after the next suicide bombing incident takes place in North America or Europe.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2005, 11:17:10 AM »

One of my professor's introduced our class to Noam Chomsky, and for that I am grateful.

I had a professor introduce me to Noam as well.  Literally introduce me, that is.

If you ever want to hear a convoluted, incoherent, rambling answer come out of the mouth of an otherwise intelligent guy, ask Noam how his skill in linguistics leads him to be an expert on economics and global politics.

If Walt is around, you can also get to see his face turn bright red and flush with anger.  Walt is a better linguist and, by the twisted logic of Noam, therefore a better expert on economics and global politics.  I'm not sure of Walt's politics, but I know he loves tweaking Noam (the whole bloody Linguistics community does) about his predictions of inevitable Soviet victory in the Cold War in the late seventies and early eighties.

Noam is, much to his credit, genuinely humble about his accomplishments. 
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2005, 11:18:29 AM »

I dont want to turn Mecca into a pig farm just because, I'd only endorse the move after the next suicide bombing incident takes place in North America or Europe.
Well, the problem is, how do you intend to go about turning Mecca into a pig farm? Tongue It would be easier to rename a pig farm "Mecca" and order everyone to pray to the inhabitants thereof.

If I actually had to listen to a professor drone about turning Mecca into a pig farm during class, when we are supposed to be going through the lecture, then I would not be that pleased. Outside of class, whatever; he's probably still an idiot, but I simply don't want to pay to sit in class and hear garbage.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2005, 11:20:49 AM »

I dont want to turn Mecca into a pig farm just because, I'd only endorse the move after the next suicide bombing incident takes place in North America or Europe.
Well, the problem is, how do you intend to go about turning Mecca into a pig farm? Tongue

We'd need a lot of mud and a lot of pig breeding.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2005, 03:29:34 PM »

Well, the problem is, how do you intend to go about turning Mecca into a pig farm? Tongue

We'd need a lot of mud and a lot of pig breeding.

And how would you propose to deal with all the additional enraged Muslims, many of whom would become suicide bombers?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2005, 03:41:01 PM »

A clueless fool who also has a Ph.D. and has had his writings published in some prominent journals?

Education doesn't make you intelligent. Your professor obviously doesn't understand that many helicopters in the US arsenal do not have passenger seating, plus his quoting of figures in the "hundreds" is off by a good bit. We have barely one hundred in theater, most of which are being used form military missions.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies