If a woman is qualified to be on a men's sports team...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:15:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  If a woman is qualified to be on a men's sports team...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: ...should she be allowed?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: If a woman is qualified to be on a men's sports team...  (Read 5340 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 03, 2005, 10:52:04 PM »

I say yes.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 10:54:06 PM »

I don't see why not, though it obviously should not be compulsory that she be on the team.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 10:54:47 PM »

No, because they should play women's sports, which are much better to watch. I love women's soccer, women's basketball and of course women's beach volleyball. Just look at those two gold medalists at the last Olympics. Yum yum YUM! Smiley
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 10:58:17 PM »

Well, it depends. If men aren't allowed on women's sports teams, I don't see why women should be allowed on men's sports teams. It's not as though women are traditionally allowed in men's restrooms because they are "qualified" to enter them, or men are allowed to enter women's dressing rooms because they are "qualified". The word "qualified" can be interpreted in too many different ways, oftentimes to one's own convenience, for it to be safe to apply more liberally to different situations. If we're talking about a girl wanting to join a junior high school baseball team for boys because there is no softball team for girls, then that's not as significant an issue. If a woman wants to join a men's professional football team, then it really depends on how qualified "qualified" is.

BRTD, get a f**king life. Just because you cannot jack off to men doesn't mean that that ought to be the primary reason why women should not be allowed to join men's sports teams.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 10:58:49 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2005, 11:28:54 PM by dazzleman »

If she is qualified, then yes.

But let me just say, the chances that a woman would be qualified to play against men who are top athletes are very slim.

I hate to burst your bubble nclib, but men are just physically stronger, especially men who are professional athletes.  Even the best female athlete is unlikely to be able to hold her own against professional male athletes.  That's just a fact of life.

I'd also say that if women want to play on men's teams, then men should be able to play on women's teams.  How many women do you think support this?  I'll tell you -- almost none, because they recognize the reality that I state here, whether they are willing to admit it or not.

So what we would have here is another feminist inspired situation in which men's teams are open to women, while women's teams remain a privileged sanctuary from men.

And there is also a history of women seeking special treatment once they actually get into a male-dominated situation.  How long before we would hear stories about how the female team members were being harassed, etc.?  Women would simply not accept the same treatment that male team members give each other.

The more I think about it, the worse of an idea it sounds like.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 11:04:15 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2005, 11:27:57 PM by dazzleman »

No, because they should play women's sports, which are much better to watch. I love women's soccer, women's basketball and of course women's beach volleyball. Just look at those two gold medalists at the last Olympics. Yum yum YUM! Smiley

Tongue

You've hit on the main avenue of commercial viability for women's sports -- sex appeal.  This may offend some people, but it's true.

Why do you think Anna Kournikova was given such prominence in tennis?   Certainly not for her tennis-playing ability.  Women's tennis had a reputation for being mostly rough-looking bulldykes (Martina Navratilova being an extreme example) and they felt they needed a player who could appeal to horny potential male viewers.

The facts are this -- women don't watch sports, for the most part, unless they're doing it with men.  So sports viewing is, for the most part, controlled by men.  Other than the sex appeal aspect that BRTD correctly stated, men have no real interest in watching women play sports.  So the sex appeal has to be there to attract viewers.  It's as simple as that.  Men watch men's sports for the game, and women's sports for the sex appeal, for the most part.

I don't think most men want to watch women play with men, either.  It sort of ruins it to see a woman mauled by other guys.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 11:20:37 PM »

Women can be allowed on men's teams if men can be allowed on women's teams.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 11:26:14 PM »

BRTD, get a f**king life. Just because you cannot jack off to men doesn't mean that that ought to be the primary reason why women should not be allowed to join men's sports teams.

Yeah, he's pretty disturbed. I seriously suggest that he spend less time admiring people like opebo and make an attempt to get to know people instead of thinking about his sexual fantasies.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 11:30:12 PM »

Yeah, he's pretty disturbed. I seriously suggest that he spend less time admiring people like opebo and make an attempt to get to know people instead of thinking about his sexual fantasies.

I agree that's a good idea.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 11:50:29 PM »

Annika Sorenstam can compete with the men in Profressional Golf.  She's probably better than a handful of guys on the PGA tour.  If Michelle Wie keeps her head on straight and continues to work on her game, she could one day win a PGA Tour event.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 11:55:00 PM »

Annika Sorenstam can compete with the men in Profressional Golf.  She's probably better than a handful of guys on the PGA tour.  If Michelle Wie keeps her head on straight and continues to work on her game, she could one day win a PGA Tour event.

So should men then be allowed in women's golf?  I'm sure most professional male golfers are qualified to play at the level of the women's PGA.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 11:59:11 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2005, 12:01:07 AM by nickshep democRAT »

So should men then be allowed in women's golf?  I'm sure most professional male golfers are qualified to play at the level of the women's PGA.

In one word:  No.  That's sorta like saying should you or I be able to compete in the Special Olympics?
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2005, 12:05:30 AM »

In one word:  No.  That's sorta like saying should you or I be able to compete in the Special Olympics?
So women are inferior or not as developed as men?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005, 12:14:30 AM »

So you are implying that women have inferior capabilities to men.  The Special Olympics are for people who are retarded or have physical deformities.  I don't say that to malign them, but their capabilities are inferior to average people, like it or not.

It seems to me that you have a very inconsistent position here, Nick.  If men and women are truly physically equal, then there's no reason to have separate sports teams for men and women.

But if there are truly physical differences that preclude men and women from playing together effectively, then they should play separately.  But the idea that women should be allowed to play on men's team, but not the other way around, is just more feminist bulls*^t that seeks to disadvantage men while implicitly advancing female inferiority.  I don't buy it, and I think you really should rethink your position.  It seems to me that you have bought into the feminist position without really thinking it through.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2005, 12:14:48 AM »

Yes, my school allowed boys to be cheerleaders and girls to be football players.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2005, 12:15:54 AM »

How do cheerleading work if there are no boys?  Who raises and throws the girls around?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2005, 12:21:49 AM »

How do cheerleading work if there are no boys?  Who raises and throws the girls around?

I think our boy did actually.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2005, 12:28:38 AM »

So you are implying that women have inferior capabilities to men.  The Special Olympics are for people who are retarded or have physical deformities.  I don't say that to malign them, but their capabilities are inferior to average people, like it or not.

I'm curious if the physical differences actually come into play in a sport like golf.  It seems to me that it's different from most sports in that it's not so much about one's muscle mass than it is about one's ability to handle the clubs in a skillful manner; I think that women would probably be at less of a disadvantage in that game.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2005, 12:32:47 AM »
« Edited: November 04, 2005, 12:37:15 AM by nickshep democRAT »

All Im saying is, as a whole men are better athletes than women.  On average, they're bigger, they're faster, they're stronger, etc.  For a man to compete at womans level it's sorta' like taking performance enhancing drugs.  It really isnt fair. Women on the other hand are just moving on to the next level when they compete on the same playing field as men.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2005, 12:45:40 AM »

I watch women's sports for a number of reasons

1) sex appeal
2) I like watching that sport
3) as a political statement
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2005, 01:42:29 AM »

I'm curious if the physical differences actually come into play in a sport like golf.  It seems to me that it's different from most sports in that it's not so much about one's muscle mass than it is about one's ability to handle the clubs in a skillful manner; I think that women would probably be at less of a disadvantage in that game.

Golf requires driving the ball long distances. Muscle mass is needed for this exercise. Other than that, it is a level playing field.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2005, 02:00:47 AM »

It should be up to the team manager.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2005, 02:07:18 AM »

I agree with Richius.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2005, 02:07:33 AM »

Golf requires driving the ball long distances. Muscle mass is needed for this exercise. Other than that, it is a level playing field.

Yeah, I know; I've played golf before.  Still, the club does most of the work if you do it right.

Either way, this is completely off topic. Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2005, 04:46:13 AM »

It depends what sport. What could be termed as "contact sports"? Hell no (unless I'm the female athlete's lawyer).
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies