If a woman is qualified to be on a men's sports team...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:21:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  If a woman is qualified to be on a men's sports team...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ...should she be allowed?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: If a woman is qualified to be on a men's sports team...  (Read 5325 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2005, 04:59:12 AM »

Women can be allowed on men's teams if men can be allowed on women's teams.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2005, 07:06:06 AM »

All Im saying is, as a whole men are better athletes than women.  On average, they're bigger, they're faster, they're stronger, etc.  For a man to compete at womans level it's sorta' like taking performance enhancing drugs.  It really isnt fair. Women on the other hand are just moving on to the next level when they compete on the same playing field as men.

I don't buy into this at all.  There are certainly some weaker male golfers, to use your example, who may not be up to par to compete in men's golf, but would fit right in among women.  If women are allowed to compete alongside men, why not the reverse?

This is a perfect example of pro-female sexism.  I don't accept it.  It's either one way or the other, but you're saying that women should be able to have it both ways -- that their sports should be protected from men, while male sports are forced to accept women.

There's also another dynamic -- the behavior of males and females themselves.  While some women would clamor to get a coveted spot in male sports, most men would consider it an embarrassment to play in women's sports.  What does that tell you?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2005, 08:37:06 AM »

This is a perfect example of pro-female sexism.  I don't accept it.  It's either one way or the other, but you're saying that women should be able to have it both ways -- that their sports should be protected from men, while male sports are forced to accept women.

Women's sports would be threatened by allowing men. Men's sports would not be threatened by allowing women.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2005, 08:55:03 AM »

Women's sports would be threatened by allowing men. Men's sports would not be threatened by allowing women.
...as long as the women tend not to be as good as the men.

Of course there are sports which allow this already - Chess, Golf, probably others I can't think of.
Here the "let's have a women-only competition as well" is indeed quite specifically of the same nature as "let's have a competition specifically for the disabled" or "for under 14 year olds" or "for over 65 year olds" and so on.
In fact, age based positive discrimination is a very good case in point. I think I'm going to use it more often in the future. Cheesy You couldn't run any sport without it, simply because you couldn't have any new talent coming up if every 8 year old wanting to play American Football had to compete with the grownups right away.
Another example is weight classes in boxing, judo etc. These are always defined as "up to so-and-so many kilos", not "from so-and-so to so-and-so many kilos" - to protect smaller, physically weaker fighters but give them the chance to compete a class higher as well (though nobody, or virtually nobody, does, simply because the disadvantage is real - but then the same is true in golf and chess as well)
Am I still making sense here? I think I lost sight of what I originally intended my point to be.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2005, 09:23:51 AM »

Yes, but is there a prohibition (in writing) against it now?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2005, 09:29:58 AM »

Yes, my school allowed boys to be cheerleaders and girls to be football players.
Now, I think (if you have to have cheerleading at all) the boys' football team should have female cheerleaders and the female one should have male cheerleaders.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2005, 10:05:47 AM »

I actually worked with a young gal who was on the DC area female football team.  Tough gal (and could snap this old man in half if she felt like it).  However, for however big and powerful she was, there is no way she'd be able to compete in men's pro-football. 

With that, I don't mind some sports being mixed, like golf, tennis, volleyball, etc . . . where more finess is required than brute strength.  In those areas, men and women can compete equally.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2005, 11:14:54 AM »

Women can compete equally in Tennis? No. Definitely not.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2005, 12:36:06 PM »

No.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2005, 03:47:14 PM »

If it was up to me?  Sure.

But there's a problem...the PGA (or whatever league we might be talking about) can ban women from playing if they want to!  They're a private organization-even if they didn't want to allow any people of certain race they should be allowed to.

Of course, I rooted like hell for Annika when she played on the men's tour, and felt PGA rules allowed her to play, as nowhere in the PGA rules does it say the PGA is a men's tour.  On the other hand, the LPGA is explicitly defined as a women's tour.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2005, 04:12:43 PM »

If a woman is qualified to be on a men's sports team...she should be on a women's sports team.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2005, 04:43:58 PM »

It should be up to the federations.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2005, 08:00:17 PM »

Well HELL NO, especially if it's a contact sport. And that's for her own safety, among a lot of other stuff.

You ever play or coach male sports, contact sports, btw? Because if not, then you're in theory land or that realm where everything is an ideal situation and where every hypothetical is realistic.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2005, 10:17:04 PM »

If a woman is qualified to be on a men's sports team...she should be on a women's sports team.

Tongue Smiley
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2005, 10:18:02 PM »

I watch women's sports for a number of reasons

1) sex appeal
2) I like watching that sport
3) as a political statement

The first two reasons are good ones.  The third is total bulls&$t.  You really need to be deprogrammed if you're serious about that.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2005, 10:21:15 PM »

This is one-way street garbage.  Men's sports would be threatened by allowing women.  Men will not play the same against a woman, and there are very few instances where a woman could compete with men at the top of their game.  This whole idea is utter nonsense.  The more it gets discussed, the more I hate it, especially the typical one-side garbage that's coming from the feminists and their supporters that men are a threat to women, but not the other way around.

I guarantee, even if it were proven that it would be a threat to men's sports to let women in, you'd support it anyway, while at the same time fighting to keep men out of women's sports.  This is absolute garbage.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2005, 10:31:04 PM »

I would hate to see football games get "toned down" because male players are afraid to clobber female ones. Even in karate sparring with mixed genders it's kind of a problem. Male students are more reluctant to strike at female ones, whereas female ones sometimes take advantage of that and get more aggressive. (I know this because I used to be involved in karate.)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2005, 10:38:34 PM »

I would hate to see football games get "toned down" because male players are afraid to clobber female ones. Even in karate sparring with mixed genders it's kind of a problem. Male students are more reluctant to strike at female ones, whereas female ones sometimes take advantage of that and get more aggressive. (I know this because I used to be involved in karate.)

Thats just good ole chivalry.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2005, 10:55:50 PM »

Thats just good ole chivalry.

exactly why women don't belong on men's teams
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2005, 11:12:01 PM »

Its pretty true, in Taekwondo, I had to spar with this girl Priscilla a few times, but I let her win out of chivalry.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2005, 11:15:37 PM »

Women can compete equally in Tennis? No. Definitely not.
King-Riggs
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2005, 11:18:02 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2005, 11:25:01 PM by dazzleman »

Riggs was 55 years old.  King was probably about 22.

On the subject of tennis, tennis is one of the few sports in which you can watch men and women almost simultaneously, if you watch a few alternating matches.

It's amazing to see the difference in the way men play the game versus women.  Men's tennis really is a totally different game than women's tennis.  Women's tennis is more a game of finesse, while the men's game is raw power.  Aside from the sex appeal of female players, I find that when it comes to the game itself, the men's game is more exciting and interesting because it's faster paced and has more action.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2005, 11:20:08 PM »

no, she isn't qualified, because she isn't male. Unless you allow men into women's teams, which would be pointless, cos then you might as well have just one team,. which males would dominate in most sports, so the women'd start their own teams...yadayadayada.

Short answer: No, they shouldn't.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2005, 11:22:53 PM »

no, she isn't qualified, because she isn't male. Unless you allow men into women's teams, which would be pointless, cos then you might as well have just one team,. which males would dominate in most sports, so the women'd start their own teams...yadayadayada.

Short answer: No, they shouldn't.

^^^^^^
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2005, 11:25:14 PM »

I watch women's sports for a number of reasons

1) sex appeal
2) I like watching that sport
3) as a political statement

The first two reasons are good ones.  The third is total bulls&$t.  You really need to be deprogrammed if you're serious about that.

To be deprogrammed requires being programmed in the first place, prude.

Seriously, getting off topic here... but I think in the case of hockey, they should alow women to play the game with men's rules. None of this p*ssy no bodychecking and no fighting... and those damned caged helmets! Hocke y is not meant to babied up like that. Women may not be as strong as men, but when you get to be a big tough hockey player, there is no reason why they would be too fragile for bodychecks and fighting.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies