The White House (Jan 2006) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:26:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The White House (Jan 2006) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The White House (Jan 2006)  (Read 6350 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« on: November 04, 2005, 09:24:06 PM »
« edited: January 01, 2006, 10:42:05 PM by Joe Republic »

Good evening to you all.

I won't make any flowery speeches here.  I'm just going to get straight down to business, and announce my Cabinet nominees.

To represent the Department of State, I have decided to nominate True Independent.  I firmly believe that he has every qualification required in the field of diplomacy, having served in the legislature and as Commander in Chief.  He has told me that he plans to take a 'firm but fair' stance on most international issues, and will also actively seek to promote the Arab-Israeli peace negotiations.

For the Defense Department, I have nominated Ron Dubya.  During the past election campaign, Dubya highlighted a bold strategy for reforming our defense agenda.  This includes radical funding overhauls, as well as strategic relocation of vital military units.  His well-informed and fresh outlook should prove highly successful in this field.

For the Treasury, it is clear that the progress that has taken place over the last four months has been astounding, and we owe it the sensible and responsible stewardship of the current Secretary.  Therefore, I have decided to re-nominate Supersoulty for the position.  I am confident that the economic recovery and subsequent growth will continue unabated under his leadership.

For the role of Attorney General, we need somebody to keep an up-to-date record of federal statute; a duty that appears to have been neglected recently.  Judging by his expert use of the Wiki and his sound analytical judgement as well, it is clear that Brandon H is the best person for this position.

Last, but most definitely not least, I come to the Department of Forum Affairs.  Never before has competence been such an issue as far as this department is concerned.  It is clear that for any real reform to take place over the coming weeks, and for public faith in the abilities of this official to be fully restored, we need somebody who knows what he's talking about.  Alcon is by far the strongest nominee for this position.  I have already discussed specific plans for reform with him, and he shares my enthusiasm.

I trust that the Senate will act quickly in confirming all of these nominees, so that we can all get to work as soon as possible.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 09:53:31 PM »

Good evening again.  I just want to discuss a few issues that have emerged.

First, on the issue of my nominee for Department of State.  I stand by my earlier claim that True Independent is highly qualified for the position.  To his detractors from within the government who claim that he lacks a coherent ideology, I ask you to put forward your specific concerns, or kindly keep your vague attacks to yourself.  True Independent is a dignified statesman, who has already served his country honorably as President and as a Senator.

To Prime Minister Sharon of Israel, I would like to strongly reassure you that the road to peace will continue unabated with Secretary True Independent at the helm.  Wishing to "bring future violence among [your] nation and country" is the very least of any of our intentions; least of all his.  I trust that you will find faith in his abilities.

Second, on the issue of the disputed election of last month.  I understand that there were severe irregularities, and I sympathize with anybody who felt that the election was not conducted fairly or accurately.  However, the time for regrets and complaints has now passed, and instead we must deliberate on how best to prevent (or at least reduce) similar occurrences in the future.

The issue of the Senate effectively 'deciding' the outcome of the election has also been raised.  I would like to respond by saying that the resolution was endorsed by the very people who stood to lose the most from it, and therefore was not in any way a coup.

As for the constitutional implications of the resolution, there really is little to worry about.  All the Senate did was resolve how it viewed the election results.  It was not meant to stifle any court injunctions, or take any power away from the Supreme Court.  It was also done during a severe civil war crisis, and therefore was probably the best course of action to try and quell the unrest.  In any case, this is a very good example of the kind of complicated laws and rules that need to be reformed over the coming months.

That's all I really wanted to say this evening.  Good night, and Dave bless Atlasia.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 10:45:17 AM »

Uh, how specific beyond my criticism of his wall position do you want?

I was referring more to MASShole.  As to your criticism, I'll let True Ind defend it in his hearing.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 11:29:02 AM »

The President appreciates this kind gift, and in return, has nominated Lt. Gov. Everett to the position of Ambassador to the UN.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 04:15:25 PM »

Luckily I don't drink coffee or use the women's bathroom, so the vandalism doesn't affect me one bit. Wink
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 07:12:37 PM »

Luckily I don't drink coffee or use the women's bathroom, so the vandalism doesn't affect me one bit. Wink

It was the men's room.

Somebody working in the White House uses lipstick in the men's room?  I didn't think Naso still worked here.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 08:35:30 PM »

Good evening, once again.

I would like to take the opportunity to congratulate all of my Cabinet nominees on their successful confirmations, and to thank the Senate for conducting the hearings with maturity and expediency.  I would also like to congratulate Senator Al on his election as President Pro Tempore.  The Senate has clearly made the right choice, and I look forward to working with him over the coming months.

And now to business, as they say.

I would firstly like to tackle the budget.  Although it has already been mentioned that it needn’t be a top priority on the agenda any more, especially given the pressing concerns surrounding forum affairs reform, I am still keen to see it completed.  Given the ailing state of the deficit, it is certainly a top priority to me that we don’t let it get worse by prolonging the inevitable task ahead.

The next item on my agenda is an amendment to the Official Senate Procedural Resolution, whereby allowing the President the power to introduce legislation directly to the Senate.  I am currently in the process of drafting this amendment, and seeking sponsorship from a senator.  I realize that there may be some sizeable opposition to this measure, but I would like to assure any concerned citizens that this is merely a procedural formality.  There is no possible way that such a power could possibly be abused, as all existing checks and balances will of course remain in place.

In closing, I would like to again turn to the issue of Prime Minister Ariel Sharon’s concerns about our newly confirmed Secretary of State, True Independent.  I understand your concerns, Mr. Prime Minister, but once again I assure you that his interests are a vivid reflection of those shared by all Israelis who wish for peace.  His comments on the security wall were made in the spirit of compromise, which of course is a tenet that is essential throughout the entire peace negotiations.  I urge you and your government to respect his positions, and appreciate the hard work he will undertake for your proud nation.

Thank you, good night, and Dave bless Atlasia.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 07:09:26 AM »

If it's only a mere procedural formality, why is there such a big fuss over it?  Easy:  because it's not just a formality.  It would critically alter the way the Senate does its business.

Not really.  In fact, that's quite a big over-estimation.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It makes perfect sense.  The issue I have is not so much that I fear the bill will not be supported by a single senator.  It is the fact that I have to submit my bill to a senator, wait for them to read it, wait for a response from them to see if they like it and then wait for them to introduce it.  Then, if I realize I made a slight mistake or forgot something just after it's introduced, I then have to contact the senator again, tell them my amendment, and then wait for them to amend that post.  This change is a step toward better political expediency, not merely a way to lord it over the Senate.

If it turns out that no senator would support the bill in the first place, then obviously that would mean the bill would fail, and I would hardly be in a position to complain about it.  Therefore, the balance of power would remain firmly in place.

I realize this might seem just a little unfair, and therefore I've been working on a compromise idea.  While senators' legislation is guaranteed one of four spots on the Senate floor, as is now, presidential legislation would be given a fifth spot as and when it is introduced (subject to a similar queue).  This does not change the order of business as far as senators are concerned, and presidential legislation is therefore treated as 'additional' to Senate business.

I'm not defending the suppression of civil rights here.  I'm defending a procedural amendment, the effect of which is being vastly overstated by yourself.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 07:55:17 AM »

What?  Like I said, all existing checks and balances are still in place.  I won't be getting a vote in the Senate, and the senators will still debate and vote on bills as usual.

In any case, my second-in-command already has a casting vote and various administrative duties in the Senate, so I'm not sure what aspect of the separation of powers you're concerned about now.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 04:10:42 PM »

I'll respond to this later when I have time, and after I get over just how rude you are.

Edit:  Actually, I won't bother.  I think a more sensible place for this argument would be in the actual Senate debate, when it takes place.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2005, 05:03:19 PM »

So it would make the President somewhat like the D.C. Representative, where they can introduce and debate legislation, but they can't vote on it, Joe?

That's pretty much exactly it, but also that presidential legislation would be treated as 'additional' to the Senate's usual business.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 04:57:46 PM »

...but, on the other hand, I can't really see how it would particularly hurt.  It's true that a president could potentially abuse this by introducing a huge deluge of bills to clog up the Senate's business, but so could a senator.

I will say, however, that I don't think any special preference should be given to presidential legislation.  Even if we ignore the problem that has already been stated that senators could just get the president to introduce something, thereby having the legislation shoot to the front of the line, I really don't see how such a provision could help anything.  There seem to be a lot more potential abuses of such a thing than what is made up for by its benefits.

My compromise idea will address both concerns outlined in both paragraphs.  It's difficult to explain, but I'll try my best anyway.

As we know, four spaces are granted for all legislation at any one time.  I plan to allow a fifth place to be opened up, specifically for presidential legislation.  There would only be one extra space, so for argument's sake, if I introduced a deluge of bills, they would each have to wait their respective turns for that single space.

As you can see, this does not actually affect the current system for legislation introduced by senators.  Nobody's bills would be 'shunted back' by presidential legislation, because they would be treated as a separate queue.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 04:58:27 PM »

I'd support the President being able to introduce legislation but I won't support it if it has special priority.

Please see my response above, as I hope it addresses that concern. Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 05:00:36 PM »

So, when is the President going to get a Senator to introduce his legislation so that he won't have to get a Senator to introduce his legislation no more?

I'm still in the process of drafting it.  The OSPR is quite complex in terms of formulating amendments, and I also need to check for constitutional conflicts.  It should be ready within a reasonable amount of time, i.e. soon.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2005, 02:20:15 PM »

Greetings once again.  I just have two announcements to make.

Supreme Court nominations

It gives me great pleasure to announce my choices for the Supreme Court vacancy.  After a great deal of thought, and some very helpful advice from my Cabinet, I have concluded that Associate Justice Peter Bell is clearly the most suitable person for the position of Chief Justice.  I can't think of anybody more qualified to interpret our Constitution than the man who wrote most of it.

This of course leaves a vacancy in the Associate Justice position.  Of all Atlasian citizens, only a select few are so keen and so well-versed in constitutional law in general.  Of these few, I believe Emsworth is clearly the most suitable for a position on our Supreme Court.

Once again, I would like to take the opportunity to commend former Chief Justice KEmperor on his incredible tenure.  He has truly set the standard for all who will follow him.

First Cabinet meeting

Last night from approx. 2000-2045 EST, a Cabinet meeting was held to discuss various pressing issues of the day.  Present at the meeting was myself, Attorney General Brandon H, and Secretaries Supersoulty, Dubya and Alcon.  Vice President Defarge and Secretary True Independent sent their apologies.

Although specific details and the transcript will remain confidential, I will say that the general topics of discussion included the Supreme Court nominations; a plan to dramatically reform the Dept of Forum Affairs; a preliminary plan for a new voting system; and reform ideas for the defense budget and relevant policy.

I'd like to thank the Cabinet members for attending.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2005, 03:56:00 PM »

More shocking would have been my earlier decision to nominate Bandit as Chief Justice.  I could go back to that one if you'd prefer. Wink
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 09:02:38 AM »

Good morning, everybody.  A few announcements to make.

Secretary of Forum Affairs

I'll make this announcement first, given that it is a top priority.  I have decided to nominate Q for this position, as I feel that he is clearly competent and qualified to take on the role.

Again, I'll declare my best wishes to Alcon in solving his personal issues.  Albeit briefly, he was a very able and committed Secretary, and I bid him good luck in his future endeavors.

Various congratulations

I would firstly like to congratulate the newly appointed Chief Justice Peter Bell, and Associate Justice Emsworth.  I had little doubt that their vastly superior legal minds and general abilities would prove their suitability for their respective roles, and I thank the Senate for agreeing with me.

I'd also like to congratulate Chancellor Andrea Merkel of Germany on her election to that position, and I wish her and her new government well for the future.  I would also like to apologize to her for comparing her to a recently deceased and incredibly ugly dog.  This error was due to an unfortunate mix-up, and no offense was intended.

Another congratulation goes to Senator TexasGurl, who has very recently given birth.  I would like to wish her the very best for her and her family, and also to wish her luck for her re-election campaign.

State of Forum Address scheduled

This is simply a quick note to say that my first State of the Forum Address will be presented to the Senate on Sunday, December 4th.

That is all.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005, 03:49:13 PM »

Hopefully soon.  There is a degree of urgency to this.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005, 06:18:51 PM »

Good evening once again.  A couple more announcements to make.

Treasury Department nomination

Another press conference, another nomination *laughs*.  For the new vacancy in the Treasury Department, I have decided to nominate former Vice President Keystone Phil.  I have already spoken with him, and I am fully confident that he is an ideal choice to head the department.  We currently face an ongoing period of economic uncertainty, as well as budget difficulties, and I truly believe he is more than capable of pulling Atlasia out of it.

Again, I'd like to pay respect to Supersoulty on his incredibly successful tenure in the position.  I already considered him the best Treasury Secretary to date when I re-nominated him, and I think that is still a fair judgement.  I sincerely wish him the very best of luck for the future.

Dept. of Forum Affairs reform

As many keen-eyed citizens may have already noticed, Senator Al has introduced a bill on my behalf that effectively abolishes the Department of Forum Affairs as we know it.  In its stead, the bill outlines the creation of a new Department of Federal Elections, and a Census Bureau.

The reasoning behind it is that the position of SoFA is currently overwhelmed by a heavy workload, which really amounts to two responsibilities: running elections and recording voter registrations.  As the names of the new departments suggest, the Dept. of Federal Elections will deal with elections, and the Census Bureau will deal with registrations.

I am confident that this division of responsibilities will help relieve the burden on one person and his part-time assistant, and reduce the odds of both vital functions being placed in the hands of a single, unqualified individual.

Rescindment of Executive Order

I have hereby decided to rescind an executive order imposed by an earlier administration, which deals with voters who no longer wish to be Atlasian citizens.  As was previously, voters who had stated their wish to be removed from the voter rolls were summarily ignored.

However, from now on, any such individual's registrations will become 'dormant'.  They will not be permitted to vote, or be considered an Atlasian citizen, until such time that they declare their wish to return.  If they return within the same length of time that they would have naturally been removed from the rolls, then their registration will be treated as if they had never left.

If I had known that it was this simple to overturn such a rule, I would have done it much sooner. Wink

That's all for this evening.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2005, 01:19:51 PM »

Good afternoon, and may I belatedly wish you all a very Merry Christmas, and I hope you've all enjoyed this festive holiday season.  I know I have.

Oh, that reminds me.  I would like to offer my sincere apologies to the Canadian ambassador and his wife for my behavior at his Christmas party last week.  Let's just say the stressful season had made me very tired and emotional, and that the three bottles two glasses of mulled wine were very well received.  I would also like to explain that I was merely trying to brush what I thought was a crumb from the ambassador's wife's blouse.  Lastly, please send a bill for the coffee table directly to the Oval Office.

Anyhow, I think I've kept you all in suspense long enough.  I would like to announce my choice of nomination for the upcoming vacancy of the Vice Presidency.  After a lot of agonizing, it was clear that there was only one real choice for the position, and this was outgoing Senator Ebowed.  It is obvious to anybody that the senator is one of the most competent and able citizens of Atlasia, and I am fully confident that he could serve in my position with excellence (should that eventuality ever arise).  I also look forward to seeing his strong leadership in the Senate.

With that said, the only other thing I wanted to report is that my temporary Christmas hiatus is not quite over.  Early tomorrow morning, I will be leaving to visit some relatives in Illinois, and I will most likely not have internet access while there.  I expect to be gone for two days at the very most.

Once again, a very happy holidays to you all.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2005, 02:53:37 PM »

I was always told if I couldn't say something nice, I shouldn't say anything at all.  I'll shut up now.

Why did you even bother posting anything at all?

Anyway, thank you to everybody else for the supportive words.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2005, 03:18:18 PM »

We already know how you feel about Ebowed.  You didn't tell us anything new.  Even by giving a long-winded "no comment", your post was completely redundant.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2006, 03:31:59 PM »

But anyways..this is terrible news for sure.

Whoever I picked, you'd see it as "terrible news".  Even if it was you.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2006, 05:20:56 PM »

Good afternoon, I have just a brief statement.

A lot of vigorous debate has been made over the upcoming changes that will shortly be introduced to the Senate, whereby the president may be given the power to introduce legislation directly.  Given that the spirit of compromise is part of my very nature, I have decided to rethink this plan somewhat.

With the help of Senator Jake, we have drafted an alternative amendment, which instead will reallocate the attention given to different kinds of bills.  Constitutional amendments will be given no more than two spaces on the Senate floor at any one time.  Although the total number of spaces will remain four, a fifth space will be available for emergency legislation, or bills that relate to forum affairs.

I would like to thank Senator Jake for his valuable contribution here, and also to Senator Al for introducing the new version of amendment.

Thank you.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2006, 03:27:23 PM »

Good afternoon.

I have gathered this press conference today to declare my intentions for the upcoming presidential election.  It has been a long time coming, but I am thankful to the majority of people who have patiently awaited my decision.

It is with a heavy heart that I must announce that I will not be seeking a second term of office.  The main reason being that I simply don't have the time or energy to not only run an effective campaign, but to serve the Atlasian people as president either.  I don't believe it would be fair for me to run an unenthusiastic re-election campaign and win, and deny the job to people that want it far more than I do.

For the record, I had sensed that this decision was a long time coming, but I only managed to prolong it until two days ago.  Yesterday, I informed the Vice President and the Cabinet, and they have all been very supportive.  It really has been a pleasure to work with them all over the last few months.

It is a great shame that I must add my name to the growing list of one-term presidents, and it is certainly not what I had originally intended.  But this is simply something that I feel I must do.

Thank you for your time.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies