The White House (Jan 2006) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:10:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The White House (Jan 2006) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The White House (Jan 2006)  (Read 6347 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« on: November 04, 2005, 09:32:22 PM »

Congrats to the nominees.  I particularly like the AG pick.  Cool
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 02:55:17 AM »

The next item on my agenda is an amendment to the Official Senate Procedural Resolution, whereby allowing the President the power to introduce legislation directly to the Senate.  I am currently in the process of drafting this amendment, and seeking sponsorship from a senator.  I realize that there may be some sizeable opposition to this measure, but I would like to assure any concerned citizens that this is merely a procedural formality.  There is no possible way that such a power could possibly be abused, as all existing checks and balances will of course remain in place.

If it's only a mere procedural formality, why is there such a big fuss over it?  Easy:  because it's not just a formality.  It would critically alter the way the Senate does its business.  The fact remains that you are trying to make it so that the President can just introduce legislation to the Senate without having the sponsorship of any of the people who would actually vote on the bill's passage.  That doesn't even make any sense.  If you have legislation to propose, a Senator should be willing to sponsor it for you.  If it's so bad that no Senator will sponsor it, then that means either the Senate is out-of-touch with Atlasia, or the President is:  the former has ten persons while the latter is one person, so take a guess.

There was also talk of making presidentially introduced legislation with "special priority":  I see no reason that Senators who were elected to write bills have their bills shafted to the back of the queue in favor of bills written by someone elected to sign or veto said bills.

Regardless of all this above, your defense of this idea sounds like a chapter right out of Bush's defense of the USA PATRIOT Act.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 04:08:11 PM »

It makes perfect sense.  The issue I have is not so much that I fear the bill will not be supported by a single senator.  It is the fact that I have to submit my bill to a senator, wait for them to read it, wait for a response from them to see if they like it and then wait for them to introduce it.  Then, if I realize I made a slight mistake or forgot something just after it's introduced, I then have to contact the senator again, tell them my amendment, and then wait for them to amend that post.  This change is a step toward better political expediency, not merely a way to lord it over the Senate.

So in other words, the problem here is impatience.  Apparently you're too good to wait to have your bill introduced like everyone else, when that isn't even the job you were elected to do.  You may as well change your title to "Nationwide Senator."

The fact is, everyone goes through this process; none of the constituents who have written bills for me have ever told me that they should just be able to propose it themselves, because - this may come as a surprise - they weren't elected to propose bills.

And if a Senator takes a while to review a bill you want introduced, consider it a good thing- they're going to eventually vote on the bill, anyway.  You'll never vote on it, just sign it assuming it passes.

If it turns out that no senator would support the bill in the first place, then obviously that would mean the bill would fail, and I would hardly be in a position to complain about it.  Therefore, the balance of power would remain firmly in place.

Well, yes; a bill introduced without the help of anyone who would actually vote on the bill's passage does not look too good in the Senate.  Anyway, as learned from above, your intention in doing this is impatience and expansion of presidential powers, not introducing bills that nobody in the Senate will support.  I apologize for misjudging your intentions.

I realize this might seem just a little unfair, and therefore I've been working on a compromise idea.  While senators' legislation is guaranteed one of four spots on the Senate floor, as is now, presidential legislation would be given a fifth spot as and when it is introduced (subject to a similar queue).  This does not change the order of business as far as senators are concerned, and presidential legislation is therefore treated as 'additional' to Senate business.

Ah, excellent; finally, a loophole to take advantage of.  Say, Mr. President, I've got a great bill but I don't think it should wait its turn.  Mind introducing it for me?

I'm not defending the suppression of civil rights here.  I'm defending a procedural amendment, the effect of which is being vastly overstated by yourself.

I'm not overstating anything.  You want to:
1. Change how the Senate does its business;
2. Change what you are elected to do;
3. Allow bills introduced by one person to go to the floor immediately, regardless of their urgency.

I was not comparing this bill to violations of civil rights, just your defense of it.  "It's a mere procedural formality; this won't be abused; all the checks and balances remain in place," etc.  Sounds like someone defending the PATRIOT Act, that's all.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 04:16:05 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2006, 02:37:09 AM by Porce »

I'll respond to this later when I have time, and after I get over just how rude you are.

Edit:  Actually, I won't bother.  I think a more sensible place for this argument would be in the actual Senate debate, when it takes place.

Questioning your intentions and pointing out a loophole in your proposal is more snarky than rude.  Certainly I've been snarky, but only to get my points across.  When I write in my typical style of speaking like this, fewer people bother to read it.  It is nothing personal at all Joe, this is just, IMO, a bad plan and I'm giving my reasons why I believe so.

We shall debate this in the Senate, then. Wink
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 05:13:05 PM »

Ah, but Bandit is no longer a registered voter. Wink

Of course, these nominations are excellent.  I look forward to seeing Emsworth on the Supreme Court.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 03:23:57 PM »

Q's got my vote for SoFA. Grin
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 06:19:47 PM »
« Edited: December 26, 2005, 06:21:21 PM by Porce »

I thank the President for the confidence he has shown in me.  I look forward to serving Atlasia as the next Vice President.  (And sorry I've been absent for the last couple days, I'm on vacation and just figured out how to work with this wireless internet configuration thingie.)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 03:31:29 PM »

It's been a pleasure to work with you, Mr. President.  I can only say what a shame it is to see you leave the political scene.  Thanks for all of your support and the best of luck for whatever you do in the future.  You'll be missed. Sad
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies