Gay Marraige Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:44:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Gay Marraige Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Do you support amending the constitution to prohibit homosexual marragies?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Gay Marraige Amendment  (Read 7287 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2005, 07:35:51 PM »

I'm definitely against it, but you mean the Constitution would be unconstitutional? Smiley

That's the standard Libertarian response.  You ask them their name, they scream 'Unconstitutional".  Ask them if they would like fries with that?  "Unconsti...oh.. yes"  Smiley
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2005, 07:39:22 PM »

I'm definitely against it, but you mean the Constitution would be unconstitutional? Smiley

That's the standard Libertarian response.

Actually, it was one libertarian's response.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2005, 07:39:38 PM »

You ask them their name, they scream 'Unconstitutional".
It is interesting that you bring up this point. The Supreme Court made a ruling on the subject in Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada, Humboldt County.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2005, 07:56:34 PM »

No, but I would support an amendment authorizing cruel and unusual punishment for any judge that mandates it.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2005, 08:04:48 PM »

It would be contradicting.  Since "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion", and Marraige is a religious act, making any law against gay marraige would be unconstitutional.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2005, 08:08:10 PM »

It would be contradicting.  Since "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion", and Marraige is a religious act, making any law against gay marraige would be unconstitutional.

Given that something in the constitution is by definition constitutional, you're going to have to find a different word to describe the problem.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2005, 08:09:02 PM »

Uh, first of all, marriage laws clearly do not amount to an "establishment of religion" within the meaning of the First Amendment. Please quit making bull**** up just to suit your personal views, like your laughable "interpretation" of the Sixteenth Amendment (i.e. "income taxes are still unconstitutional because I don't like them").

Second, new law supersedes old law. A new amendment destroys any conflicting provision of an old amendment.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2005, 08:50:04 PM »

Uh, first of all, marriage laws clearly do not amount to an "establishment of religion" within the meaning of the First Amendment.
Agreed. Considering that the establishment applies to the states by virtue of the Fourteenth Amendment, M&C's position would imply that all marriages are unconstitutional. Needless to say, nothing of the sort was intended, meant, or enacted.

Furthermore, as A18 suggests, a constitutional amendment supersedes any previous provision to the contrary. The only forbidden type of constitutional amendment is one that deprives a state of equal representation in the Senate without its consent.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2005, 09:09:44 PM »

Great answer. I really hope you're kidding.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2005, 11:29:43 PM »

no
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2005, 11:38:19 PM »

Shocked

Wink

no (normalist)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2005, 12:42:02 AM »

Uh, first of all, marriage laws clearly do not amount to an "establishment of religion" within the meaning of the First Amendment. Please quit making bull**** up just to suit your personal views, like your laughable "interpretation" of the Sixteenth Amendment (i.e. "income taxes are still unconstitutional because I don't like them").

Second, new law supersedes old law. A new amendment destroys any conflicting provision of an old amendment.

I really haven't said anything about the 16th in a while.  I don't like it and want it repealed-doesn't means there are constitutionality issues with that.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2005, 12:48:00 AM »

That's the standard Libertarian response.  You ask them their name, they scream 'Unconstitutional".  Ask them if they would like fries with that?  "Unconsti...oh.. yes"  Smiley

Although this is a tangent issue htmldon, what's wrong with us saying things are unconstitutional?

I mean, what test is there to measure up to.  Why not torture people for speaking out against the Iraq war?  If we had no constitution to protect these rights, what sort of goverment would we be in?

Okay, better yet, how would you measure things up?  Moral values seem to be the Republican line- but what defines moral?  At least with the constitution, we have a test to make sure that tyrannical laws don't come to our country.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2005, 06:36:16 AM »

Although this is a tangent issue htmldon, what's wrong with us saying things are unconstitutional?
There is, in general, nothing wrong with claiming that something is unconstitutional. However, claiming that a constitutional amendment is unconstitutional is completely different.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2005, 07:09:34 AM »

why all this discussion about a piece of old, illegal and outdated parchment?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2005, 08:31:03 AM »

why all this discussion about a piece of old, illegal and outdated parchment?

Huh?  Are you referring to the Constitution itself?  I sincerely hope not.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2005, 09:01:03 AM »
« Edited: November 08, 2005, 09:02:34 AM by nickshep democRAT »

For the record, I was joking about voting Yes (normal).  I was bored and felt like starting a flame war.  I really fall in to the category of "Dont give a sh**t."  Gay Marriage is one of the least important issues to me.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2005, 11:25:47 AM »

For the record, I was joking about voting Yes (normal).  I was bored and felt like starting a flame war.  I really fall in to the category of "Dont give a sh**t."  Gay Marriage is one of the least important issues to me.

You mean you don't intend to marry another man at some point in the future?  Shocked

I know what you mean.  I have the same (lack of) opinion about abortion, for the similar reason that is has nothing to do with me.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2005, 11:28:16 AM »

I understands that it inflames a lot of people, on both sides, which is why I don't want national enforcement.  I have no problem with a state, e.g. NH, doing it, so long as the don't tell people in another state, e.g. FL, that they have to as well.

The Constitarian
Rookie

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2005, 12:06:00 PM »

Definitely not

First off I think gay marriage should be legal.

Secondly, I don't think ammendments should be made over such petty patters.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2005, 12:23:05 PM »

I understands that it inflames a lot of people, on both sides, which is why I don't want national enforcement.  I have no problem with a state, e.g. NH, doing it, so long as the don't tell people in another state, e.g. FL, that they have to as well.

Exactly.  Nobody could ever expect Utah and Massachusetts to agree on any social issue; especially this one.  This is very much a states' rights issue.  It's not even an issue for federal statute, much less the friggin' Constitution.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2005, 01:43:51 PM »

Lovely.  Two women marry in Massachusetts, and have a baby via some artificial means.  After three years, one woman moves to Utah and takes the child along.  She now is a citizen of the State of Utah.

What recourse does the other woman have?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2005, 02:00:02 PM »

Lovely.  Two women marry in Massachusetts, and have a baby via some artificial means.  After three years, one woman moves to Utah and takes the child along.  She now is a citizen of the State of Utah.

Do you think a non-biological father from MA would have recourse in the Utah courts? 
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2005, 02:16:31 PM »

Do you think a non-biological father from MA would have recourse in the Utah courts? 
Yes.  Absolutely.  He would have signed the papers, right?  Just like the woman did, except Utah wouldn't recognize it for the woman.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2005, 03:12:24 PM »

Little, but that has nothing to do with the marriage.

Although she could be prosecuted for illegally transporting a minor across state lines back in Massachusetts, no?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies