Confirmation Hearing: True Independent (State)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:06:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: True Independent (State)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: True Independent (State)  (Read 2850 times)
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 07, 2005, 05:15:12 PM »

I call the hearing on True Independent's' nomination as Secretary of State to order.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 05:21:56 PM »

I'll start this off.

1) True Independent, in the past you've introduced legislation that would urge Israel to remove the West Bank Wall and you've spoken a few times in support of removing the wall. Would you maintain this position as Secretary of State and would you make this position official Atlasian foreign policy?

2) What would you do as Secretary of State to promote Atlasia's position in South America?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 08:07:20 PM »

First of all, let me apologize for not answering these questions right away.  I was at an MUN tournament today.

I'll start this off.

1) True Independent, in the past you've introduced legislation that would urge Israel to remove the West Bank Wall and you've spoken a few times in support of removing the wall. Would you maintain this position as Secretary of State and would you make this position official Atlasian foreign policy?

I have actually spent quite a bit of time researching this wall lately.  First, let me state that I am still in favor of a Palestinian state including the West Bank and Gaza in their entireties.  The main reason I have opposed the wall is because of the way Israel made it cut into the West Bank.  At this time, I would not favor removing the wall though.  Once a Palestinian state has been established and peace has been secured in the region, I would support negotiations to fully remove the wall.  In effect, my position on the wall is one of opposition, but I must be realistic.  Now that the wall is there, Israel is not going to take it down, and I will continue to follow the policy of respecting that.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thank you for an excellent question.  Latin America is a region that is often overlooked even though it has increasing power in world politics.  First of all, if confirmed, I plan taking many visits to nations all of the world to show that Atlasia is there and cares about the people of the world.  In Latin Amercica specifically, I would support free trade negotations with many countries, as has already been enacted in Latin American and the Dominican Republic.  Also, I would like to possibly hold some sort of negotations or talks with the Venezuelen government.  Our nation has had much conflict with this government, and I feel we must make ammends.  We must also support funding the governments of nations such as Columbia to battle the drug trade.  This drug trade affects not only Latin America, but also Atlasia which is why we must fight to stop it.  My final proposal would be to change the United Nations.  If confirmed, reforming the UN would be a top concern of mine.  I would support adding Brazil as a permanent member (not necessarily with veto rights).  I believe that by supporting a Latin American nation in the world community would better our relationship with Latin America.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 08:42:09 PM »

On what conditions would you support removal of the wall?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 08:46:05 PM »

On what conditions would you support removal of the wall?

Well, basically, we would have to get Israel to agree, which would be near impossible, but I hope woudl eventually be done.  I would support removal of the wall once the Palestinian state has been established and seen as peaceful.  Basically, once a peace agreement between the Israelis and all the Palestinian groups, I would support removal of the wall.  I realize the wall has its benefits, but it seems to me that Israel is doing this not only to protect the nation of Israel (which I would support it for), but also to protect is settlements.  I feel these settlements shoudl eventually be dismantled and the land returned the Palestinians.  Again, this should take place over a long period of time, and the Palestinians should also make concessions for the removal of these settlements.  Once these settlements have been removed, there is no reason for the wall to jut into the West Bank, thus making the wall acceptable.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 01:19:45 AM »

What is your opinion on the North(east) Asian situation?

Do you support further engagement with NATO, or a lessening of ties?

Do you support withdrawal from the United Nations?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 10:35:54 AM »

What is your opinion on the North(east) Asian situation?

I'm sorry, but I don't know exactly what you are talking about.  There are many situations going on in NE Asia.

The first one being the situation with North Korea.  I feel that this is an extremely important issue, but must addressed differently from the situation with Iraq.  First of all, North Korea actually has nuclear weapons and could strike Japan, South Korea, or Russia.  I feel the best way to handle this is six party talks, as what is happening right now.  We must let the North Korean government know that Atlasia is committed to helping its people through aid.  Also, we must work better with China to put more pressure on North Korea, as China is North Korea's greatest ally.  Finally, there is one goal that past administrations have lost sight of.  Throughout the 1990s, a set of talk occurred between the governments of North Korea and South Korea.  In fact, some families were even reunited.  In the Olympics (I believe the 2000 in Sydney), the two Koreas marched under one flag (though competed separately).  This was a huge step in bringing North Korea into the modern world.  I think we should continue these talks in hopes of embracing North Korea.  I believe that if North Korea feels more accepted, they are less likely to take hostile actions against other nations.

With NATO, I feel this body must be reformed.  It was orginially an alliance, but now it has just become a place for Atlasia's interests to be pushed forward.  I think Atlasia should share some of the power and decision-making in NATO.  We must incorporate more of the new members from Eastern Europe and allow them to have a voice.  For example, in the Balkans, nations like Croatia may have better knowledge about what to do in Serbia-Montenegro than Canada or France.  Also, NATO should focus less on just using its troops, and more on diplmacy.  This organization must stress that peace is always the first option.

I in no way support withdrawal from the United Nations.  The United Nations has always shown itself to be a shining beacon of hope, prosperity, and a great coordinator of aid around the world.  However, at the same time I realize that this body needs great reform.  I will explain my proposed reforms in this thread.

First and foremost, the Security Council must be reformed.  I would advocate a policy of adding six new permanent members without veto power.  These nations would probably be Brazil (Latin America), South Africa (Africa), Egypt (Middle East), India (SE Asia), Germany (third largest economy and contributor in the world), and Japan (second largest economy and contributor plus voice for noncommunist Asia).  Also, I am in favor of adding ten new rotating seats to be based regionally.  This would keep the current ratio or permanent to nonpermanent seats.  An issue most people do not bring up is that of the publicity of the Security Council.  Most meeting are informal meeting, and nations outside the council have no idea what is going on inside these meetings.  I would favor a policy of having the Security Council Presidies release a small press report at the conclusion of every meeting to report what the topics were (not necessarily debate).  I believe all of these reforms would help to improve the credibility and effectiveness of the Security Council.

A second body that needs to be reformed is the Commission on Human Rights.  I know that many may oppose this plan, but I am in favor universalizing this body.  I feel that by embracing every nation, those with human rights violations are more likely to correct themselves.  However, two side bodies should be created to assist this body.  First, the Commission on Human Rights should appoint a council of notable NGOs such as Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International, etc.  This council of NGOs should assist the Commission.  The second side body should be similar to the current Commission on Human Rights.  It should be elected by the entire body, which means that the nations with the best human rights record are most likely to be elected.  Finally, the Commission on Human Rights should meet at least three times a year and every time a major human rights crisis occures, unlike now when it meets only once a year.

Senator, I hope I sufficiently answered all of your questions.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 11:07:57 AM »

Do you think that we should try to spread democracy around the World? If so, how? And if not, why not?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 11:17:04 AM »

Do you think that we should try to spread democracy around the World? If so, how? And if not, why not?

I feel that democracy is one of America's most precious resources and exports.  We should continue to spread democracy  around the world.  To do this effectively, we must work with other nations, showing the benefits of democracy.  We have to show developing nations how democracy empowers their people, grows their economy, and gives them standing in the world.  The best way to show this is by visiting these nations.  As I have already stated, I plan on going on a world tour to promote Atlasia and democracy, especially in Africa, where many nations are struggling with democracy.  Furthermore, we must make the United Nations take a tougher stance on those nations which are ruled by ruthless dictators.  If the United Nations takes this stance and truly supports it, I believe that democracy around the world will spread.  I will always favor diplomacy to encourage democracy, unless a truly horrendous situation arises.  Iraq is an example of this.  For years, Saddam Hussein was allowed to gas his people and deny them their basic rights.  The world sat idle while this happened, but finally Atlasia (or I guess it's America in this case) took the courage to tell the Iraqi people that there was hope for them.  Clearly, this has been a huge success.  The Iraqi people just voted in favor a new democratic constitution.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 03:37:34 PM »

Sorry man, but supporting placing sharply anti-American organizations in a position of authority in the UN is just going to make things worse.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 03:49:04 PM »

Sorry man, but supporting placing sharply anti-American organizations in a position of authority in the UN is just going to make things worse.

I'm sorry, I don't understand you criticism.  Could you explain what you mean?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 03:57:17 PM »

Your plan proposes that we add Amnesty Int'l and HRW to the already worthless CHR. That really is going to help the situation. How about we propose that nations like China, Saudi Arabia, and Pakistan cannot serve on the commission?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 04:01:01 PM »

Your plan proposes that we add Amnesty Int'l and HRW to the already worthless CHR. That really is going to help the situation. How about we propose that nations like China, Saudi Arabia, and Pakistan cannot serve on the commission?

NGOs will simply serve as an advisory board to the CHR.  These will be appointed by the Commissioner on Human Rights.  I believe that NGOs in some ways can do a better job of understanding a human rights crisis.  These NGOs will be available for the Commission to use as a resource, not to make policy.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 04:05:54 PM »

Why though? What can they add to a commission that allows Bashir to appoint a representative to it?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 05:33:36 PM »

Why though? What can they add to a commission that allows Bashir to appoint a representative to it?

Well, perhaps to make sure that it is fair, the NGOs should be approved by the other side council (the one with the nations with good human rights records).  These NGOs are very efficient in pointing out human rights violations.  This is basically similar to letting a private company do something for the government.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2005, 05:38:31 PM »

Well, perhaps to make sure that it is fair, the NGOs should be approved by the other side council (the one with the nations with good human rights records).  These NGOs are very efficient in pointing out human rights violations.  This is basically similar to letting a private company do something for the government.

I would suggest that if you're going to back a human rights NGO that you go with Freedom House, one of the fairest ones out there.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2005, 05:41:04 PM »

I would suggest that if you're going to back a human rights NGO that you go with Freedom House, one of the fairest ones out there.

The Commission on Human Rights would appoint a council of NGOs, not just one.  This means the council woudl be less biased.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2005, 06:10:08 PM »

The Commission on Human Rights would appoint a council of NGOs, not just one.  This means the council woudl be less biased.

Well, then make sure that FH is one of the council members. Smiley
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2005, 07:11:38 PM »

True Independent,

What was your position on ending funding for pro-Democracy and freedom organizations in China under the Taiwanese Protection Act?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2005, 03:23:51 AM »

If you really think that the UN's general body elects nations with good human rights records....

Reasonably good responses thus far. Two more questions, and then I think i'm done.

1) Do you believe Atlasia is the 'worlds policeman', and should it be?

2) Do you support the current world trade status, and what is your opinion on Atlasia's trade positions with regards to foreign policy?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2005, 08:55:51 AM »

True Independent,

What was your position on ending funding for pro-Democracy and freedom organizations in China under the Taiwanese Protection Act?

With regards to Taiwan, I believe there should be a long process, but that it should eventually be returned to China.  As of right now however, I support the continual aid of Taiwan to protect against a possible attack by the PRC.  However, I believe we should share some of this burden with some of Taiwan's Pacific allies, specifically Japan.  Recently, Japan and Atlasia have been doing some military exercises in the Straight of Taiwan, and Japan has proven itself worthy of defending a nation.  Over the next ten years or so, I would propose shifting some of the power, responsibility, and monetary burden of defending Taiwan over to the Japanese, in exchange for removing some of our marines from Okinawa.  However, as I stated earlier, I believe that eventually Taiwan and mainland China should be reunited.  Once China has shown itself to make democratic  and human rights reforms, negotiations should start for first trade ties between the two nations.  Then, talks for tying themselves politically should start, though again this should not take place until the PRC has made drastic reforms.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2005, 09:31:05 AM »

If you really think that the UN's general body elects nations with good human rights records....

Reasonably good responses thus far. Two more questions, and then I think i'm done.

1) Do you believe Atlasia is the 'worlds policeman', and should it be?

While I do not believe that Atlasia should be the "world's policeman," I do believe that we have a responsibility to spread democracy and freedom around the world.  I believe your question may have some motive to point to the War in Iraq.  In this instance, Atlasia, along with the UK, Australia, and other nations, showed itself to be a beacon of hope in a region where the people are clearly oppressed.  As a free, wealthy country, it should be our duty to spread democracy.  I am disheartened that nations such as France, Germany, Italy, and Russia have not joined us in this fight, though I do not believe we should in any way force them to.  I do believe that using our military strength is not the only way to spread democracy and freedom.  Just look at the example of Libya.  For years, Qaddafi was building up stockpiles of chemical weapons and was a known terrorist.  But, he is beginning a long process of giving up these weapons and returning some of the power to his people because of diplomatic pressure put on him by the Atlasia and the United Kingdom.

I believe the current world trade status, though very good, still, still needs some reforms.  Example of these reforms would be opening more nations for free trade and letting poorer nations into the market.  Great strides have already been taken with regards to free trade in Europe and the Americas.  However, we must go further in opening up more free trade ties with poorer nations to not only grow our economies, but the economies of the poorer nations in Latin America, Africa, and SE Asia.  I believe opening these economies would give the poorer nations a chance to truly compete in the world marketplace, thus raising them out of poverty.  With regards to Atlasia's trade positions and its relationship to foreign policy, let me first say that I believe it was a mistake to put trade sanctions on France simply because they disagreed with us politically.  We should not let the politics of one's nation be a reason to put sanctions on the country.  I only support using economic sanctions when a nation is truly undermining the freedom and prosperity of its people, which France was not doing when we put sanctions on them.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2005, 07:27:55 PM »

Just to let everyone know, I will be gone from Friday thru Sunday on a Model UN trip in Niagara Falls.  I might be able to access the internet once or twice for a little bit, but I won't be able to answer any questions while I'm there.  Thanks for understanding.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2005, 08:14:37 PM »

Senators may now vote on the confirmation of True Independent as Secretary of State.

All those in favor, say Aye; those opposed, say No.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2005, 08:16:42 PM »

Alot of what I've heard from True Independent show foreign policy goals that are damaging to Atlasia national security and Atlasia's interests.

Nay
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies