US military used chemical weapons on civilians in Iraq
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:26:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  US military used chemical weapons on civilians in Iraq
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: US military used chemical weapons on civilians in Iraq  (Read 9209 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2005, 06:03:09 AM »

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2005/11/7/11819/9522

Gee, good thing we've got Chemical George instead of Chemical Ali. So much for the "humanitarian" reason for invading Iraq. Why do you Republicans support this?

dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 06:47:39 AM »

I bet you're hoping and praying it's true.  What a humane person you are.
nlm
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 08:06:38 AM »

While I'm not going to assign hopes to you jfern and then sarcastically insult your humanity based on the hopes I just assigned to you, I would suggest that you at least watch the piece before jumping to conclusions. Kos does have a notable political lean. That doesn't mean they're wrong, but it does mean they report happenings in a specific light.

Let us know what the actual report says.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 08:32:40 AM »

Incredibly unlikely.  If the concentration of phosphorus (which the article misspells in some places) used could cause the skin to "melt," then it most likely would have burned up in the atmosphere ever before making skin contact.  For it to cause the skin to "melt," it would have to convert to its acid state.  Of course, if you look at your can of Coke, you will notice that Phosphorus acid is one of the ingredients.

Tracking phosphorus used (not sure if it is still used following the EPA investigation in 1998) by the military is of low yield, meaning the quantity of actual phosphorus used in the mix is low relative to the additional elements.  That way, the "glow" seen by the phosphorus can only be seen through special lenses and not the naked eye.  Primarily, the use of white phosphorus (mentioned specifically in the article) is used in ammunition (tracers) and grenades (flash bangs).

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 09:56:41 AM »

I hate to point this out, but nearly all modern weapons use some sort of "chemicals," e.g. gunpowder (sulfur, potassium nitrate).  I have no doubt that these types of "chemicals" were used by both sides at  Fallujah, as they have been in every major battle in the West since the 15th Century. 

I take it JFRAUD and the Daily Commie would prefer that US troops be armed with crossbows when going into battle?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 09:59:42 AM »

I take it JFRAUD and the Daily Commie would prefer that US troops be armed with crossbows when going into battle?

Chemicals were used to make crossbows though Wink
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 10:40:47 AM »

I hate to point this out, but nearly all modern weapons use some sort of "chemicals," e.g. gunpowder (sulfur, potassium nitrate).  I have no doubt that these types of "chemicals" were used by both sides at  Fallujah, as they have been in every major battle in the West since the 15th Century. 

hahaha . . . and let's not forget . . . you use to extract phosphorus from urine.  Wink
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 11:13:15 AM »

Wouldn't it take close to a direct hit to "melt" someone with an illumination round?

And how many civilians were IN Fallujah during the battle? My recollection is that all media reports put the figure as very, very low.

This is obviously leftist, anti-American, anti-military propaganda, and it shows the DKos crowd for the scum they are. jfraud of course is a particularly odious example of their like.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 11:26:41 AM »

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2005/11/7/11819/9522

Gee, good thing we've got Chemical George instead of Chemical Ali. So much for the "humanitarian" reason for invading Iraq. Why do you Republicans support this?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 12:45:43 PM »

From the wiki article on White Phosphorus:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

The rest of the article makes it clear that WP is good for illumination and starting controlled burns of forest, but a pretty poor weapon.

From the wiki article on Napalm:

So neither weapon is illegal.  Remember that the siege of Fallujah involved ringing the city with marines for weeks before the bombing and invasion started.  All civilians were repeatedly warned during this time and most left the city.  There is only so much a military can do to reduce civilian casualties.

As for the particular of the Mk 77:

Both weapons are legitimate military weapons that the U.S. openly admits using.  To compare that with using true chemical weapons for genocide, as Saddam did, is a ridiculous exercise in moral relativism.  It says a lot about Bush's opponents on the Left, here and abroad, that they are so eager to portray a man fighting terrorists as a war criminal.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 04:06:21 PM »

WTF?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 04:09:14 PM »

And the news station that reports this should be bombed an hour after the report airs.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 10:31:46 AM »

And the news station that reports this should be bombed an hour after the report airs.

While I think the story is full of holes, I'm not in the mood to start censoring the press (especially not through violent means).
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 11:59:19 AM »

This is not the first time that outrageous claims about atrocities by U.S. forces in the Battle of Fallujah have been posted.  As before, the claims are being pushed by Far-Left European "journalists".  Note that the reporter quoted in this new article, Giuliana Sgrena, is the kidnapped Italian journalist who was fired on by U.S. forces during her escape.  Her wild claims that the U.S. intentionally fired on her were thoroughly disproved.  Once again, she is trying to gain sympathy for her former captors (i.e., terrorists).  You can read her article in Il Manifesto (as the name implies, it's a communist paper), where she makes no effort to disguise her biased "reporting".
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 08:27:17 PM »

Us Democrats think that melting the skin of children is seriously ed up.  Sad that you guys are so batsh**t crazy that this is a partisan issue.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/article325560.ece
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2005, 08:29:08 PM »

More information here, BTW.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2005, 08:32:33 PM »

I find very disgusting the denial by the Republicans on here. Quit covering up these war crimes. You are scum.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2005, 10:35:31 PM »

Us Democrats think that melting the skin of children is seriously ed up.  Sad that you guys are so batsh**t crazy that this is a partisan issue.

From the article you linked:

These charges are flat-out lies.  White phosphorus and napalm are not chemical weapons and they are certainly not "internationally banned".  These myths deserve to be put in the same category as rumors that U.S. have night vision goggles that can see through women's clothes.  These lies are being pushed by a communist propagandist who has before been proved to be a liar.  The charges have zero credibility.

We lost over many men in Fallujah in house-to-house fighting after weeks of surrounding the city.  The civilian population was given more than enough time to evacuate.  Unfortunately some remained, but we cannot allow thousands of terrorists to escape just because they hide behind civilians.  We could have reduced our casualties to nearly zero by carpet bombing the city for a couple weeks before sending in the marines.  Of course, this would have led to even higher civilian casualties.

I find very disgusting the denial by the Republicans on here. Quit covering up these war crimes. You are scum.

You have the burden of proof, and so far you have nothing except the propaganda of a proven liar and the testimony of an unnamed soldier.  Do you really think that the reason these charges have not been reported by reputable news groups that were in Fallujah when this supposedly happened is because CNN, the BBC, ABC and Fox News are all part of a conspiracy to cover up war crimes?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2005, 10:51:13 PM »

hahaha . . . and you defending this fiction is hillarious.  Why don't you join the military once you graduate high school and actually learn about the devices of war from those that actually use them and know their function, and not from some foreign reporter who has already been proven to lie about her material in the past.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2005, 10:56:31 PM »

To be completely fair, for every person who honestly is hoping and praying that this is true (not saying that jfern is one of them), there's an equivalent person on the other side of the fence hoping and praying that Europe is brutally demolished by Muslims just to show the errors in Europeans' "tolerant" ways (as they would put it).
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2005, 11:22:32 PM »

What's sad is that you'll believe anything if it will make Bush look bad.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2005, 02:08:30 AM »

If you still don't believe me, check out this crazy leftist source.
http://sill-www.army.mil/FAMAG/Previous_Editions/05/mar-apr05/PAGE24-30.pdf

So sad that you are still in denial.

As for whether it's a chemical weapon, I don't care what you call it, we were melting the skin off a children. We are the terrorists.

As for anyone implying that I'm glad about this, FUCK YOU.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2005, 02:10:34 AM »

Still going to spin this one, you war criminals?

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/1108-01.htm

riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2005, 02:21:00 AM »

The important issue is...how did the filter fail to pick up jfern's F-bomb?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2005, 02:25:44 AM »

For anyone having trouble to find the pertinent section, white phosphorous is listed as a weapon used in section 9(b), on page 26.

It doesn't mention what it did, though, although the only source we have that doesn't say that WP can burn bodies is Wikipedia, which is not exactly the pinnacle of reliable information (though it can be good when absolute certainty is not required).  If this stuff does turn out to be true, it's pretty sad, although, technically, not a "war crime", since it's been pointed out that the use of WP is not illegal (regardless of whether one thinks it should be or not).

The important issue is...how did the filter fail to pick up jfern's F-bomb?

He put BB code that does nothing between the F and the rest of the post.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies