*Official Election 2005 Results Thread* (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:53:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  *Official Election 2005 Results Thread* (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: *Official Election 2005 Results Thread*  (Read 100120 times)
Blank Slate
Rookie

« on: November 08, 2005, 06:33:50 PM »

My friend in Fairfax County just called me.  He's a poll worker.  He said that he's never seen turnout like this in NOVA -- not even in 2001 with Warner.  He's also getting word that turnout in the southern, rural parts of the state -- where the solid GOP base is located -- is as low as he can remember.  Kaine looks to be well positioned.

I have a feeling your friend is more correct than what Kevin is posting. 

Also ignore Republican Apologist, everyone, he's a troll who has no clue.
Blank Slate
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 11:09:44 PM »

I'm very confused about the results in the VA Attorney General's race.  I mean there are two different TV stations posting two different results with 97%  of the precincts counted statewide.

On these two stations they have

On ABC's WRIC in Richmond they are reporting:

Deeds (D)              926,264  50%
McDonnell (R)         913,764  49%

While on CBS's WDBJ in Roanoke they are reporting:

McDonnell (R)        935,448  50%
Deeds (D)             923,983  49%

Can someone give me some more accurate results for this race and maybe explain to me why these two stations are so different with the numbers?   
Blank Slate
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 11:12:20 PM »

In CA, the first areas to report tend Republican, as you can see here.

http://www.sdvote.org/election/SANDIEGO110805.xml

But that's with only 10% of the vote or less, I'll hold off on being upset or happy until much later.  Maybe I'll go to bed and get back up say around 2 or 3 am.
Blank Slate
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 11:25:32 PM »

I'm very confused about the results in the VA Attorney General's race.  I mean there are two different TV stations posting two different results with 97%  of the precincts counted statewide.

On these two stations they have

On ABC's WRIC in Richmond they are reporting:

Deeds (D)              926,264  50%
McDonnell (R)         913,764  49%

While on CBS's WDBJ in Roanoke they are reporting:

McDonnell (R)        935,448  50%
Deeds (D)             923,983  49%

Can someone give me some more accurate results for this race and maybe explain to me why these two stations are so different with the numbers?   

One station accidentally reversed the tallies. The real result (with about 50 precincts to go) is 940,815 (McDonnell R) to 936,162 (Deeds D).  Looking at what's left to report it will be even closer, but it is still unlikelyto reverse, so Dems only real chance is a recount.

Okay that explains that.

I just went back to WDBJ's website and it looks like McDonnell (R) is the winner.

This is with 99% of the precincts reporting, just a few minutes ago:

McDonnell (R)         960,055   50%
Deeds (D)               951,200   49%

I would say with only 1% of precincts reporting it would be highly difficult for Deeds (D) to make up about a 9000 vote deficit anywhere in the state, unless there were still alot of votes outstanding in either the city of Richmond or the city of Arlington that haven't been counted.  So I'm going to bed for now, with an assumption that McDonnell is the next Attorney General of Virginia.  I'm not surprised. 

And I wouldn't be a Democrat crowing about the wins of the Governorship in New Jersey (although it is pretty amazing that Democrats seem to be gaining seats in the NJ Assembly) and Virginia, because not every race seemed to gel for the Democrats.

And keep this in mind, even if Kaine the Democrat won the Governorship in Virginia, his former office the Lt. Governorship went Republican.
Blank Slate
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 11:30:59 PM »

In CA, the first areas to report tend Republican, as you can see here.

http://www.sdvote.org/election/SANDIEGO110805.xml

But that's with only 10% of the vote or less, I'll hold off on being upset or happy until much later.  Maybe I'll go to bed and get back up say around 2 or 3 am.

Do ya'll really know/care what these resolutions are for or do you just want to screw Arnold?

I care what they are for, and I disagree with all of them and would want them all to fail.   But I know I won't get everything I want, will I.

I don't want to expand on this right now, I have had a long day today, and I'm expecting a long day for the next two days -- so I'm going to bed now.

So this is my short answer.

And yes I wouldn't mind the Governor Terminator being screwed.  (And so what if I want him to?)  He wasn't that great as an actor (a matter of fact he never had any formal training to be an actor, he just was actually never more than a star), and he has made a lousy politician in my opinion!     
Blank Slate
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 05:10:53 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2005, 05:19:41 AM by Blank Slate »

At least Sanders torched Frye in San Diego.

All in all... a status quo election. Ballot measures defeated in CA and OH, NJ and VA retain Dem Govs and by similar margins as 2001 (though the GOP only got the AG in '01, this time Lt Gov and AG).

Totally meaningless with regard to 2006. Totally. Anyone suggesting otherwise on either side is just not rational.

Now, now, I'm not so sure you are right about that.

The main reason why I think that, is a result of one of the Mayor's elections I was really watching and went exactly as I predicted it would.

This Mayor's race was in Asheville, NC (not known to be the hotbed of liberal or Democratic activism).   Asheville African-American city Councilwoman Terry M. Bellamy (although running in a non-partisan race, but known to be the Democrat) beat soundly the Republican candidate Dr. Joe Dunn to replace a Republican incumbent (since 1991, who was defeated in the primary in October), Charles Worley (who had spent $1.2 million in 2001 to keep the mayor's office).

The nearly final results (with only a handful of votes to be counted) in the ASHEVILLE, NC MAYOR'S RACE:

Terry M. Bellamy        10,534  56.8%
Dr. Joe Dunn                8004  43.2%

Bellamy will be the first African-American woman mayor in North Carolina and has won in both a very heavily Republican area of that state, as well as being one of the few African-American women mayor's across the south.

I would say this election does give some creedence (since Dunn outspent Bellamy; and add how well Kaine did in VA & Dems picking up seats in VA House -- although I will agree it is tempered somewhat by the GOP wins in the Lt. Governor & AG races -- and then add the convincing wins of the Dems both in NJ Gov & House races + the defeat of CA, Arnold endorsed Props -- yes, again tempered somewhat by the results in the San Diego mayor's race -- but then also factor in the results in some of the outlying areas from New York City and I haven't heard the final results in St. Paul, MN -- but I would assume right now that incumbent mayor Kelly -- who endorsed Bush in '04) that Democrats do have some momentum going into 2006, it will depend on if the Dems are able to read correctly these results.

Of course now comes news that Bush is going to go really negative over the "allegations" by Dems that the Bush administration lied about the reasonings for going to war in Iraq in 2003.  I don't know how these are lies, when's it's being proven that they were lying.  Yeah, I would say the GOP and Bush are worried about these election results and well they should be.

Hopefully the Dems will majorly kick some GOP butt next year, though.   

And yeah,

Kelly goes down in defeat (that awful turncoat of a Democrat in '04) in St. Paul, MN and with the exact numbers I predicted:

Coleman   70%
Kelly         30%

Good riddance to Kelly who turned against his party and endorsed G.W. Bush in 2004!

Yeah, I would say the big MO (momentum) is going towards the Democrats and away from the administration and the GOP for 2006!!!
Blank Slate
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 12:07:53 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2005, 12:09:47 PM by Blank Slate »

OK, Arnold is in trouble. Who cares. Personally, I think Commando alone is reason to vote for him, but if CA voters disagree, it's not a big deal.

Republicans don't need to score major victories... they just need to hold the line. That's how it works when you're a majority. I see no evidence Democrats are any stronger now then they have been in the last 5 years.

Dems will add some Governorships in '06, but won't retake either House of Congress-- the status quo will win there as well. Considering Bush's troubles, such an outcome is a loss for Democrats.

You obviously haven't examined all the results across the country?  Including the mayor's race in St. Paul, MN & Asheville, NC.  (Okay, I might concede your point a tiny bit in regards to the results in San Diego, CA). 

As far as I'm concern, I have a feeling that Governor Arnold will not run for a second term, and well he probably shouldn't from yesterday's outcome.  Hollywood will probably not welcome him back very well, either. 

Don't forget as well that Democrats picked up seats in both the Virginia House of Delegates and the New Jersey Assembly.

And Republicans better not crow, yet, about the VERY CLOSE wins in the Virginia Lt. Governor and especially in the Attorney General race.  This is the latest results posted on the Attorney General's race in Virginia with 99.91% of the vote counted (from WDBI in Roanoke, VA):

McDonnell (R)        966,275  50%
Deeds (D)              962,812  49%

That's a difference of only 3463 votes, and unlike last night, before I went to bed, when Deeds was behind by about 9000 votes that kind of deficit could be overcome by enough votes still outstanding being counted in the Arlington County, Fairfax County and in the City of Richmond, which I suspect is where many of those votes not counted are from.  And of course this closeness if it holds will lead to I do believe an automatic recount. 
Blank Slate
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 06:49:07 PM »

The republican has a 980 vote lead in the AG race.

Boy that shrank from this morning.  Any link to these results?  And did they count all the provisional ballotts, yet?
Blank Slate
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 06:57:40 PM »

Boy that shrank from this morning.  Any link to these results?  And did they count all the provisional ballotts, yet?

I just went to WDBI -- CBS TV in Roanoke, VA's website and it appears that the lead of McDonnell's has shrunk even further, although not a lot, but it's down to 963.

Here are the results as of now:

McDonnell (R)             969,976  50.02%
Deeds (D)                  969,013  49.98%

This is almost like the 2004 Washington state Governors race, but almost in reverse.     
Blank Slate
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 07:02:28 PM »

Well if I assume somewhat that vipnet is correct on the current vote total for Deeds (D) and WDBI is correct on McDonnell (R)'s vote total, than the new results are:

McDonnell (R)   969,976   50.02%
Deeds (D)        969,021    49.98%

Now a difference of 955 votes.   Yep this is sounding more and more like the 2004 Washington state Governor's race (but again, in reverse).

And this is a case for the saying:   "Every vote counts."   is correct.   
Blank Slate
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2005, 05:18:51 AM »

I've captured the current result by locality (county and independent city) so we can see where the changes are occuring.

On Wednesday there was a regular precinct out for Richmond city and James City county.  They are now included, but with a double entry (one still showing 0 votes, and one with the actual vote totals).  These two together were a +159 for Deeds.

Thank you for that jimrtex.  I know that might not have been necessarily easy for you to have read or reported on.

Boy this is close.  I'm glad Deeds is in the lead like I thought he would be. 

Now I am glad I didn't get that job and move to Virginia, earlier this fall.   These results and the continuing not sure about the outcome  (plus how close all three races, were throughout the fall) plus I'm sure McDonnell calling for a recount  -- I'm sure would have made me either piss my pants all over the place or made it where I couldn't sleep at night.
Blank Slate
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2005, 05:23:57 AM »

This is almost like the 2004 Washington state Governors race, but almost in reverse.     

Except for this one won't be stolen.

Of course, if the Democrats end up winning, it will be, right?

Of course. Smiley

Of course.  Smiley

But with Deeds ahead, now, but 159 votes.  (I did get it right that one of the precincts needing to be counted was in the city of Richmond, I still know much of my Virginia geography, don't I?  Just a question for myself, sometimes I amaze myself, I don't know why, I just do).   Wondering about the provisional ballotts though?   And of course now it will be McDonnell who will probably call for a recount, and we will have to see if Deeds lead holds.  Can someone remind me when the Attorney General, as well the Governor and Lt. Governor, on what date the AG is inaugurated in Virginia?  I'm wondering if there will be an AG inaugurated on this date?   Again shades of the Washington state Governor elections from 2004.
Blank Slate
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2005, 06:41:08 AM »

Is there some unwritten law that requires there to be an insanely close election every U.S electoral year? Tongue Grin

Yes, it's called the law of unforseen consequences. Smiley
Blank Slate
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2005, 08:41:58 PM »

Well as of 7:07 pm, Saturday, McDonnell is ahead by only 410 votes.

Results as of 7:07 pm:

McDonnell (R)  970,635  49.96%
Deeds (D)       970,225  49.94%
write-ins             1793       .09%

Come on Deeds!
Blank Slate
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2005, 10:07:32 PM »

This thread is becoming one of the largest threads (in terms of replies) on the board.

So, what's your point?

This is just become a large thread because of the fact that this year's Virginia Attorney General's race has gone into huge overtime.
Blank Slate
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2005, 12:19:30 AM »

This thread is becoming one of the largest threads (in terms of replies) on the board.

So, what's your point?

This is just become a large thread because of the fact that this year's Virginia Attorney General's race has gone into huge overtime.
No point, I just thought that was interesting. Smiley

Okay, just was making sure.  Because I had plans to check the vote totals one more time, before I go to bed, in the Virginia AG race, and if there was some update maybe post it back here.   
Blank Slate
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2005, 01:30:19 PM »

McDonnell is back up over Deeds, 446 votes.

The current total as of 12:57 pm, today, is:

McDonnell (R)   970,793   49.97%
Deeds (D)        970,347   49.94%
write-ins              1793        .09%
Blank Slate
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2005, 05:37:28 PM »

McDonnell is back up over Deeds, 446 votes.

The current total as of 12:57 pm, today, is:

McDonnell (R)   970,793   49.97%
Deeds (D)        970,347   49.94%
write-ins              1793        .09%

Deeds and his type are trying to steal this thing. Thankfully they are falling flat on their faces.

Yeah, whatever.   Perhaps the Republicans rigged those machines, again.  Glad Kaine was far enough ahead he didn't have to put up with that crap.
Blank Slate
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2005, 05:38:41 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2005, 11:42:44 AM by Blank Slate »

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.  What is Forrester and the Republicans going to blame everyone except for their and the candidate's  ineptness for Forrester's defeat?
Blank Slate
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2005, 11:46:29 AM »
« Edited: November 15, 2005, 11:48:34 AM by Blank Slate »

Well as of 11:37 am today, McDonnell is back down to a 393 vote lead in the VA Attorney General's race.

Current results as of 11:37 am:

McDonnell (R)   970,816  49.96%
Deeds (D)        970,423   49.94%
write-ins               1793       .09%

Does anyone know if this is part of an automatic recount or is Virginia stilll counting absentee and provisional ballotts?

Also jimrtrex (I have some difficulty doing this, but you seem to be better at it), can you do your figuring from where McDonnell and Deeds are getting the new votes that have been added?   Thanks.
Blank Slate
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2005, 09:47:08 AM »

Northern Mariana Islands Governor

Count with off-island absentee votes counted:

Governor&Lt Governor    Party        E-Day Abs  Total Pct
Fitial & Villagomez     Covenant     3497  312  3809 28.1%
Hofschneider & Apatang  Independent  3371  339  3710 27.3%
Babauta & Benevente     Republican   3228  382  3610 26.6%
Tenorio & Santos        Democrat     2256  186  2442 18.0%

The Covenant party appears to be a reform offshoot of the Republican Party.  For example, the campaign site of Benigno Fitial includes among his political activities the Republican Party and Bush for President  in addition to founder of the Covenant Party.  Heinz Hofschneider, the independent gubernatorial candidate is a Republican member of legislature.

I always saw Republicans as being in a Covenant.  Wink   Shades of "Rosemary's Baby".   Tannis anyone? Smiley   
Blank Slate
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2005, 10:34:33 AM »

The Virginia Attorney General's race/count as of 8:47 am this morning (Monday, November 21, 2005):

McDonnell + 322

McDonnell (R)                  970,883   49.96%
Deeds (D)                        970,561   49.95%
write-ins                              1801        .09%

This is still not the final or the recount that may be expected to start next week if this stays close. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies