Establishment Clause, Lee v. Weisman (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:37:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Establishment Clause, Lee v. Weisman (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: The ruling was...
Constitutionally sound

Constitutionally unsound

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 6

Author Topic: Establishment Clause, Lee v. Weisman  (Read 4022 times)
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« on: November 10, 2005, 05:26:31 PM »

I reluctantly disagree with Scalia.  The tradition argument cannot excuse a clear case of the state using public resources to push a particular religious view on a group that cannot reasonably refuse to participate.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 06:00:45 PM »

I reluctantly disagree with Scalia.  The tradition argument cannot excuse a clear case of the state using public resources to push a particular religious view on a group that cannot reasonably refuse to participate.

Push a viewpoint? What an extraordinary accusation. Who pushes a theistic viewpoint on someone by making them stand for a minute of prayer that in no way makes the viewpoint look more favorable?
Obviously, saying a prayer implies that one believes in a god.  This is a religious viewpoint and the state is promoting that viewpoint when it sponsors the prayer.

As for its effect, a state-sponsored prayer is unconstitutional whether or not it persuades someone to believe in God.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 06:10:39 PM »

Prayers do not "promote" viewpoints, as I just explained, and as you seem to admit to admit in your second paragraph.

The state does not require anyone to say the prayer. They do not even need to stand, for crying out loud.

I can promote a viewpoint without being successful.  Just because I fail to convince you does not mean I have not tried.  It is wrong for the government to try to convince people to accept a particular religious belief.  The effectiveness of the attempt is irrelevant.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies