Sanctioned Torture?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:13:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sanctioned Torture?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sanctioned Torture?  (Read 3146 times)
mddem2004

Political Matrix
E: -6.38, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 10, 2005, 05:23:47 PM »
« edited: November 10, 2005, 05:27:12 PM by mddem2004 »

The Bush Administrations recent efforts to exempt the CIA from the prohibition on the use of torture in the interogation of foreign nationals sickens my heart.

By doing so we are now the only government on the face of the earth that seeks the legal use of such methods. Didn't they learn anything from Abu Ghareb? Don't they realize that our own military discredits information derived from such tactics as unreliable? Can't they see that this only further inflames the rest of the civilized world against us? And don't they realize that this only makes our own troops fair game for the same torturous treatment not only in this War on Terror, but in future conflicts as well?

I ask you to ask yourself, by engaging in the practice of "disappearences", no matter how despicable the terror suspect may be, what would make our CIA any different than Chiles secret police under Penochet? Or the Gestapo under the Nazi's? Or even the KGB under Soviets? No different in my view.

Folks, once we debase ourselves by allowing this administration to engage in these pratices with the cover of legality, once we lose the Morale High Ground in this War on Terror....there is no getting it back. Ever.

There have already been deaths of those held by the CIA both in Afghanistan and Iraq that have been ruled as homicides because of the practices sanctioned with a wink and a nod by this administration. I for one say "No More".

And one final question to you if I may. For those that voted for this President because of his perceived "high morale standards" or because he espoused good "Christian values", I ask you, how is the sanctioning of torture either Moral or in keeping with the Christian Faith? Or any faith for that matter? Not Very where I come from.

Legalized torture is Not an American Ideal, it is Not keeping with the values this country stands for, and it is something our government can Not sanction if we ever want to ultimately win this War on Terror. We should all remind Mr. Bush of these things. He seems to not know.   
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 05:29:44 PM »

I really am sad that we use torture. Every night, I fall asleep crying because a group of Taliban fighters are being forced to listen to Barney songs while being forced to kneel for a couple of hours. It breaks my bleeding heart.
mddem2004

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 05:38:26 PM »

I really am sad that we use torture. Every night, I fall asleep crying because a group of Taliban fighters are being forced to listen to Barney songs while being forced to kneel for a couple of hours. It breaks my bleeding heart.
If that truly is the extent of our interrogation techniques why do we need undisclosed locations in eastern europe to play our Barney songs to them? Never heard of Barney's songs killing anyone either.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 05:41:48 PM »

Because American judges may have a problem with some of our methods. Not because they may be wrong, but because a number are human trash who choose to rule against American interests in order to comply with international laws. Also, those were examples, I'm sure non-compliant prisoners are beaten around, possibly killing one or two. Again, I cry for them every night.
mddem2004

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 05:45:28 PM »

It would appear that 90 Senators oppose the sanctioning of torture as well, 46 of them Republican, if the latest numbers hold on the McCain Amendment barring the use of torture....including by the CIA.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 05:57:44 PM »

The Bush adminstration is trying really hard to indefinitely delay the release of the Abu Chraib pictures. Of course the media will ignore all but the most boring ones, as usual.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 08:32:43 PM »

...Haven't we already seen the Abu Ghraib pictures?

(Or as Rosie O'Donnell would say...ABU GERRAB?!?!)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 08:35:13 PM »

...Haven't we already seen the Abu Ghraib pictures?

(Or as Rosie O'Donnell would say...ABU GERRAB?!?!)

You saw the most kosher of them. They keep delaying the release of some of the others. Here is one of the rulings.
http://www.nysd.uscourts.gov/courtweb/pdf/D02NYSC/05-06267.PDF
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 08:36:02 PM »

One question, why do we need to see the rest of them?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 08:39:46 PM »

One question, why do we need to see the rest of them?

Because you've only seen the most tame, fascist.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 08:45:39 PM »

And?

How does seeing the less "tame" of the pictures do anything except embarass the United States, our government, and our military?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 08:47:36 PM »

And?

How does seeing the less "tame" of the pictures do anything except embarass the United States, our government, and our military?

We can't stop the war crimes without first knowing about them. I'm sure if Saddam had used MK-77 on civilians that would have been a huge reason given for invading.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2005, 01:18:53 AM »

I have yet to see any evidence of actual "torture".
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2005, 01:23:04 AM »

And?

We can't stop the war crimes without first knowing about them. I'm sure if Saddam had used MK-77 on civilians that would have been a huge reason given for invading.

Oh, so you consider MK-77 worse than mustard gas.  You'd prefer that we use crossbows, right?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2005, 01:26:49 AM »

And?

Oh, so you consider MK-77 worse than mustard gas.  You'd prefer that we use crossbows, right?

When was the mustard gas? (That's a real question, I'm not denying that there was mustard gas)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2005, 01:30:30 AM »

And?

When was the mustard gas? (That's a real question, I'm not denying that there was mustard gas)

1980-88 is when it was used.  There were stockpiles through the late 1990's.  When was it destroyed is my question (though some small quatities in shells were found).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2005, 01:36:18 AM »

What would convince you?

And?

1980-88 is when it was used.  There were stockpiles through the late 1990's.  When was it destroyed is my question (though some small quatities in shells were found).

Some of that was before Rumsfeld shook hands with Saddam, and all of it was before George HW Bush decided not to invade. Why didn't we take him out then, if humantiarian reasons are so important? Why did Rumsfeld decide that Saddam isn't such a great guy?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2005, 01:41:12 AM »

What would convince you?

Seeing something more damning then sexually posed photos or fake execution pictures (the electrocution one).
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2005, 02:15:06 AM »

What would convince you?

And?

Some of that was before Rumsfeld shook hands with Saddam, and all of it was before George HW Bush decided not to invade. Why didn't we take him out then, if humantiarian reasons are so important? Why did Rumsfeld decide that Saddam isn't such a great guy?

We didn't have the requirements that he depose of them.  He only refused to under Clinton, who was basically too busy having oral sex to do much about it.  The stiff part of Clinton was not his backbone.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2005, 05:02:25 AM »

What would convince you?

Seeing something more damning then sexually posed photos or fake execution pictures (the electrocution one).

He wants to see a lynching, jfern.  You know these Southerners.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2005, 10:28:00 AM »

What would convince you?

No, but putting a noose around a terrorist's neck in an attempt to make think he's going to be hung, and not injuring him probably is not torture.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2005, 11:49:35 AM »

What would convince you?

No, but putting a noose around a terrorist's neck in an attempt to make think he's going to be hung, and not injuring him probably is not torture.

No, that's clearly torture.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2005, 12:23:06 PM »

What would convince you?

No, that's clearly torture.

Why, he's uninjured, just intimitated?  Is a guard scowling at a prisoner "tortured?"  How about if a guard says, "Your mamma wears combat boots?"  What about keeping him in a cell lit 24/7?  Shaving his head?

Are these things torture?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2005, 12:24:18 PM »

What would convince you?

Lynching terrorists would be a bit to much work. I'd favor a bullet to the head.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2005, 12:29:39 PM »

Lynching terrorists would be a bit to much work. I'd favor a bullet to the head.

Being a fiscal conservative, I agree.  I don't want to house them, clothe them, feed them, buy them Koran's or anything.  When we get what we want - 1 piece of lead is as much as I want to spend.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies