Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2014, 07:00:36 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Election What-ifs? (Moderators: Bacon King, Dallasfan65)
| | |-+  MA-Senate 1996, Weld v. Kerry
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Who would you have voted for in the 1996 Massachusetss Senate Race?
Bill Weld (R)   -17 (65.4%)
John Kerry (D)   -9 (34.6%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: MA-Senate 1996, Weld v. Kerry  (Read 1395 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2005, 12:27:31 pm »
Ignore

This race was pretty much THE RACE in 1996.  Weld held a lead into mid-September, but Kerry made a comback, won the debates, and won the election 54-45% (with the help of Bill Clinton).

I'd probably have voted for Bill Weld.  I absolutely love the guy, and I'm lukewarm-at-best about Kerry.

The real reason I made this poll is, to ask this question, which I think is an mind-twister and...well, you get the idea.  Here it is.

If Bill Weld defeated John Kerry in the 1996 Massachusetts Senate race, would a Democratic candidate have won the 2004 Presidential election?

in a mirror, dimly lit
nick
nickshepDEM
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 12:30:47 pm »
Ignore

Edwards. 

The Dean vs Kerry battle in the 2004 primaries would have turned into an Edwards vs Dean battle.  The only thing that held Edwards back in 2004 was his lack of media attention.  No one really paid attention to him until the De Moines Register endorsed his candidacy.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 12:45:58 pm »
Ignore

Edwards. 

The Dean vs Kerry battle in the 2004 primaries would have turned into an Edwards vs Dean battle.  The only thing that held Edwards back in 2004 was his lack of media attention.  No one really paid attention to him until the De Moines Register endorsed his candidacy.
And Edwards, had he picken a good foreign policy expert VP like Clark, would have done very well.  He would have paid more attention to economics and brought Ohio at least to the Democratic column though perhaps lost New Hampshire.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 12:47:54 pm »
Ignore

Edwards. 

And Edwards, had he picken a good foreign policy expert VP like Clark, would have done very well.  He would have paid more attention to economics and brought Ohio at least to the Democratic column though perhaps lost New Hampshire.

Nah, can't go with Clark...an Edwards/Clark ticket has a total of 1 (!) electoral victories under their belts.  It'd be Biden or Bob Graham.

in a mirror, dimly lit
Max Power
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 01:26:07 pm »
Ignore

I'd vote for Kerry.

And to answer you question, no.
Erc
YaBB God
Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 04:02:41 pm »
Ignore

After Gephardt and Dean mutally self-destructed, who takes Dean's place without Kerry?  Edwards, maybe...but it's quite possible that Dean could have come back to win New Hampshire, making it a very interesting primary race.
Kevin
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 07:34:10 pm »
Ignore

If Weld did win he would be a mavrick like Mccain. Also if he did win he could be a pontental presidental canidate in 2000.   

The People's Governor!
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2005, 07:41:08 pm »
Ignore

If Weld did win he would be a mavrick like Mccain. Also if he did win he could be a pontental presidental canidate in 2000.   

He could've been that anyway.
Max Power
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2005, 11:01:47 pm »
Ignore

He could've been that anyway.
So Bill Weld=Rock Star?
WalterMitty
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 12:07:54 pm »
Ignore

i would have voted weld.

weld is definitely one of my favorite politicians.

by the way, i was in the massachusetts state house the other day and i was looking at all the painting of the former governors hanging along the wall, weld posed for his portrait in a button down shirt and blue jeans.

I just slept for 11 hours, so I should need a nap today
I'm not going to waste 2 hours of my night just to walk for 20 minutes.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2005, 03:32:33 pm »
Ignore

i would have voted weld.

by the way, i was in the massachusetts state house the other day and i was looking at all the painting of the former governors hanging along the wall, weld posed for his portrait in a button down shirt and blue jeans.

Too bad we can't have another one like that in NY....

Sad
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2005, 03:48:30 pm »
Ignore

i would have voted weld.

One thing I noticed about Al Gore in 2000 was that he did appearances in rural settings in jeans and shirt, but city and purely tv events in suit and tie...and that he's one of the people that must absolutely stay away from ties.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2005, 04:20:16 pm »
Ignore

While both of these men are gret politicians, I would have to go for Kerry, both in retrospect and at the time. (if I was 18 at the time Tongue)

“The meaning of life is not to be discovered only after death in some hidden, mysterious realm; on the contrary, it can be found by eating the succulent fruit of the Tree of Life and by living in the here and now as fully and creatively as we can”

~~~~Dr. Paul Kurtz (1925-2012)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout