MA-Senate 1996, Weld v. Kerry
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:13:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  MA-Senate 1996, Weld v. Kerry
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would you have voted for in the 1996 Massachusetss Senate Race?
Bill Weld (R)

John Kerry (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: MA-Senate 1996, Weld v. Kerry  (Read 3077 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2005, 12:27:31 PM »

This race was pretty much THE RACE in 1996.  Weld held a lead into mid-September, but Kerry made a comback, won the debates, and won the election 54-45% (with the help of Bill Clinton).

I'd probably have voted for Bill Weld.  I absolutely love the guy, and I'm lukewarm-at-best about Kerry.

The real reason I made this poll is, to ask this question, which I think is an mind-twister and...well, you get the idea.  Here it is.

If Bill Weld defeated John Kerry in the 1996 Massachusetts Senate race, would a Democratic candidate have won the 2004 Presidential election?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 12:30:47 PM »

Edwards. 

The Dean vs Kerry battle in the 2004 primaries would have turned into an Edwards vs Dean battle.  The only thing that held Edwards back in 2004 was his lack of media attention.  No one really paid attention to him until the De Moines Register endorsed his candidacy.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 12:45:58 PM »

Edwards. 

The Dean vs Kerry battle in the 2004 primaries would have turned into an Edwards vs Dean battle.  The only thing that held Edwards back in 2004 was his lack of media attention.  No one really paid attention to him until the De Moines Register endorsed his candidacy.
And Edwards, had he picken a good foreign policy expert VP like Clark, would have done very well.  He would have paid more attention to economics and brought Ohio at least to the Democratic column though perhaps lost New Hampshire.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 12:47:54 PM »

Edwards. 

And Edwards, had he picken a good foreign policy expert VP like Clark, would have done very well.  He would have paid more attention to economics and brought Ohio at least to the Democratic column though perhaps lost New Hampshire.

Nah, can't go with Clark...an Edwards/Clark ticket has a total of 1 (!) electoral victories under their belts.  It'd be Biden or Bob Graham.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 01:26:07 PM »

I'd vote for Kerry.

And to answer you question, no.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 04:02:41 PM »

After Gephardt and Dean mutally self-destructed, who takes Dean's place without Kerry?  Edwards, maybe...but it's quite possible that Dean could have come back to win New Hampshire, making it a very interesting primary race.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 07:34:10 PM »

If Weld did win he would be a mavrick like Mccain. Also if he did win he could be a pontental presidental canidate in 2000.   
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2005, 07:41:08 PM »

If Weld did win he would be a mavrick like Mccain. Also if he did win he could be a pontental presidental canidate in 2000.   

He could've been that anyway.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2005, 11:01:47 PM »

He could've been that anyway.
So Bill Weld=Rock Star?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 12:07:54 PM »

i would have voted weld.

weld is definitely one of my favorite politicians.

by the way, i was in the massachusetts state house the other day and i was looking at all the painting of the former governors hanging along the wall, weld posed for his portrait in a button down shirt and blue jeans.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2005, 03:32:33 PM »

i would have voted weld.

by the way, i was in the massachusetts state house the other day and i was looking at all the painting of the former governors hanging along the wall, weld posed for his portrait in a button down shirt and blue jeans.

Too bad we can't have another one like that in NY....

Sad
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2005, 03:48:30 PM »

i would have voted weld.

One thing I noticed about Al Gore in 2000 was that he did appearances in rural settings in jeans and shirt, but city and purely tv events in suit and tie...and that he's one of the people that must absolutely stay away from ties.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2005, 04:20:16 PM »

While both of these men are gret politicians, I would have to go for Kerry, both in retrospect and at the time. (if I was 18 at the time Tongue)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies