Person of the Year - 2005
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:07:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Person of the Year - 2005
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Person of the Year - 2005  (Read 4903 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2005, 08:25:01 AM »
« edited: December 18, 2005, 08:29:38 AM by Senator Gabu »

Over 44% on time.com voted for Mother Nature....but of course, that wasn't liberal enough.

Or enough of, you know, an actual person.

They went with Bush in 2000 and 2004, Giuliani in 2001, and "The American Soldier" in 2003 (or 2002, I forget which).  I think they're entitled to a "liberal" pick for 2005.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2005, 08:33:48 AM »

If it had to be a person it should have been Condi Rice or how about the Iraqi people? The Iraqi People...have been through more than anyone this year.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2005, 08:38:19 AM »

If it had to be a person it should have been Condi Rice or how about the Iraqi people? The Iraqi People...have been through more than anyone this year.

If you....say.....so.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2005, 08:42:00 AM »

well that totally totally sucks.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2005, 08:42:25 AM »

44% who voted on time.com, voted for Mother Nature.

Bono, and Bill/Melinda Gates were chosen.

2003- THE AMERICAN SOLDIER WAS CHOSEN, AS THE WAR WAS MOVING AMERICA

2004- GEORGE W BUSH WAS PICKED AS HE AND THE ELECTION WERE MOVING AMERICA

2005- BONO.....and Bill/Melinda Gates moved America more than Katrina/Earthquake/Tsunami?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2005, 08:46:27 AM »

At least they picked people- but how hard is it to choose between Bono and the Gates'? Just pick one.

For those who think Pope John Paul II should have gotten it, I agree that his accomplishments overshadow both Bono and Bill Gates by a considerable amount, but I think that Person of the Year should go to someone who did something great this year, and John Paul's biggest accomplishments were many years ago. If we agree that the award is largely based around 2005, standing alone, we'd basically be giving him the award for dying.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2005, 08:55:32 AM »

The Iraqi voter is actually starting to emerge as a serious contender to all the natural disaster doom&gloom.

Do you think they'll sell more copies if they put a distant foreign country on the cover or a bleak story about natural disasters? Neither of them seems to be a commercial smash.

I wouldn't be surprised if, for that reason, it's Bill Gates or some other prominent American.

Omg Hugh, your psychic powers are amazing Cheesy

Yeah, they have not picked a non-American since John Paul II in 1994, which is a record run of 11 consecutive years now I believe. The previous record was the tumultous 1963-69.

Bill Gates.. what did he do THIS YEAR exactly, as opposed to all the other years?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2005, 08:57:53 AM »

The Iraqi voter is actually starting to emerge as a serious contender to all the natural disaster doom&gloom.

Do you think they'll sell more copies if they put a distant foreign country on the cover or a bleak story about natural disasters? Neither of them seems to be a commercial smash.

I wouldn't be surprised if, for that reason, it's Bill Gates or some other prominent American.

Yeah, they have not picked a non-American since John Paul II in 1994, which is a record run of 11 consecutive years now I believe. The previous record was the tumultous 1963-69.

Bill Gates.. what did he do THIS YEAR exactly, as opposed to all the other years?

All I can think of is XBOX360, which didn't even sell that well.

Maybe he donated an extra-large, even by his standards, amount of money to charity.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2005, 09:00:31 AM »

Maybe he donated an extra-large, even by his standards, amount of money to charity.

Well at least one forum member got picked !! Cheesy
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2005, 09:04:43 AM »

Well at least one forum member got picked !! Cheesy

And we were one letter away from having two Cheesy
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2005, 11:18:33 AM »

well that's better than something lame like Mother Nature.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2005, 11:48:51 AM »

I can think of a lot worse choices than the one Time made.  The Gates have been when it comes to philanthropy been rather smart about it, choosing mainly to donate to causes that have the potential to make a huge impact but aren't particularly showy or philled with photo ops.  Bonos been more the gadfly than the wallet, but I suspect they included him so as to make it clear that their selectuion had nothing to do with Microsoft or computers.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2005, 01:23:07 PM »

What an extremely lame pick. I haven't heard any of these people on the news for most of the year. Thanks for wussing out again.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2005, 01:36:37 PM »

I think its an excellent choice.  They have contributed a great deal of money and raised attention to the problems of global poverty.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2005, 09:16:15 PM »

I think its an excellent choice.  They have contributed a great deal of money and raised attention to the problems of global poverty.
BUT HAVE THEY GIVEN MONEY TO REPUBLICANS?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2005, 01:22:51 AM »

What lame choices this acknowledgement has completely sucked since they changed the name to "Person of the year". They should have stuck with the title "Man of the Year".
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2005, 01:28:43 AM »

What lame choices this acknowledgement has completely sucked since they changed the name to "Person of the year". They should have stuck with the title "Man of the Year".

Cynthia Cooper, Sherron Watkins, and Coleen Rowley should have been "Men of the Year"?
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2005, 01:30:55 AM »

I am so pissed off!! This another horrible choice, when will Time Magazine stop sucking?!  

Bill Gates and his wife are great philanthropists. But I hate Bono, he's such a media hog. He's gotta be in front of a camera 24/7.

Maybe Time deliberately makes bad picks like this so that the story stays in the news.

Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2005, 01:36:59 AM »

Cynthia Cooper, Sherron Watkins, and Coleen Rowley should have been "Men of the Year"?

Such trash shouldn't have been selected.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2005, 01:41:38 AM »

"Man" is a generic term and doesn't necessarily mean a person with with a penis.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2005, 01:47:16 AM »

"Man" is a generic term and doesn't necessarily mean a person with with a penis.

Okay, I'll go tell Melinda Gates that she's a fabulous man.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2005, 03:32:54 PM »

I bet she's really offended when she is considered part of mankind, too.  Tongue
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2005, 03:44:49 PM »

I bet she's really offended when she is considered part of mankind, too.  Tongue

"Mankind" still holds a good portion of its gender-neutral origins, but I really think that asserting that "man" does not carry any male connotations with it at all is a bit of a stretch, especially when it's used in the singular sense, as in "a man", instead of speaking about "Man" as a generic whole referring to the human race.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies