Department of State
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 01:56:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Department of State
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Department of State  (Read 12514 times)
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2005, 02:31:45 PM »

Mr. Secretary, I would like to commend you on an honorable job thus far.  I have one question for you, if you would be so kind as to answer:

Do you believe that Israel should be given a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council?

I await your response.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2005, 02:35:41 PM »

Mr. Secretary, I would like to commend you on an honorable job thus far.  I have one question for you, if you would be so kind as to answer:

Do you believe that Israel should be given a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council?

I await your response.

Although I believe Israel would serve admirably on the Council, I do not believe that they have the right reputation in the Middle East to be a permanent member.  I have outlined my proposal for the Security council:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=31696.msg719962#msg719962

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=31696.msg721065#msg721065
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2005, 02:43:07 PM »

I respectfully disagree with you when you say that Israel does not have the right reputation in the Middle East.  It has been the only democracy and our only solid ally in the region, at least until we removed Saddam Hussein from power. 
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2005, 02:45:26 PM »

I respectfully disagree with you when you say that Israel does not have the right reputation in the Middle East.  It has been the only democracy and our only solid ally in the region, at least until we removed Saddam Hussein from power. 

I'm sorry, I should have explained myself further.  I agree that Israel is a beacon of hope in the Middle East for democracy.  I meant that Israel's reputation among other Middle Eastern nations is not very good.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2005, 02:45:51 PM »

For all practical purposes, however, Israel is not a serious contender for a Security Council seat. Any attempt to grant it a seat will certainly be blocked.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2005, 02:47:29 PM »

I agree with you in saying that many other Middle Eastern nations do not have a high regard for Israel.  What matters, however, is how Israel is viewed by the entire world.  By most world nations, outside of the Middle East, it is viewed fairly positively.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2005, 02:48:46 PM »

That is true, simply because the United Nations is filled with nations led by dictators and strongmen that fear and hate America and any of our allies.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2005, 02:51:49 PM »

If Ebowed',s bill goes through, we won't have to worr with this nonsense.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2005, 02:55:17 PM »

Are you talking about the foreign aid reduction bill?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2005, 02:44:42 AM »

Are you talking about the foreign aid reduction bill?

No, the one to get us out of the UN.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2005, 03:24:40 AM »

Whilst I don't support a withdrawal from the UN, I also don't support True's proposals. If you want to change the security council, add India and either get rid of France or create a "European Union" Seat that would include France and the UK, and Germany, and Italy, etc etc.; or just add a sixth member.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2005, 08:25:22 AM »

Whilst I don't support a withdrawal from the UN, I also don't support True's proposals. If you want to change the security council, add India and either get rid of France or create a "European Union" Seat that would include France and the UK, and Germany, and Italy, etc etc.; or just add a sixth member.

Removing a nation from their permanent security council seat is not a practicable option. They all have vetoes and no nation would accept a dimunition of its power in this way.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2005, 10:17:21 AM »
« Edited: November 25, 2005, 01:56:28 PM by SoS True Independent »

Removing a nation from their permanent security council seat is not a practicable option. They all have vetoes and no nation would accept a dimunition of its power in this way.

Thank you.  Someone finally sees the essential problem.  Also, why should Latin America, the Middle East, and Africa not get a permament seat?
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2005, 11:35:16 AM »

Thank you.  Someone finally sees the essential problem.  Also, why should Latin America, the Middle East, and Latin America not get a permament seat?

Because that would give Latin America two seats?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2005, 12:08:03 PM »

Thank you.  Someone finally sees the essential problem.  Also, why should Latin America, the Middle East, and Latin America not get a permament seat?

What?  My plan gives Latin Ameica one permanent seat: Brazil.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2005, 01:28:01 PM »

Read your question again.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2005, 01:55:40 PM »

Read your question again.

Oh, oops.  Smiley  I meant to say Africa.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2005, 04:29:15 PM »

Thank you.  Someone finally sees the essential problem.  Also, why should Latin America, the Middle East, and Africa not get a permament seat?

Why should they?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2005, 04:30:47 PM »

Why should they?

Because the world is becoming more and more globalized.  Africa, Latin America, and the Middle East are some of the largest untapped markets in the world both economically and politically.  They are becoming increasingly more powerful in world politics, and deserve a say in their own fates on the Security Council.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2005, 04:34:02 PM »

They already have seats on the Security Council. Besides, we shouldn't give a nation a permenant seat unless they fully deserve it based on their geopolitical power. It is clear that no nation outside Germany, India, or Japan have reached that level of power. We can't give Germany a seat because it's not in our interest to have 2 EU powers with seats; we can't give India a seat without giving Pakistan one (something we can't do); we can't give Japan a seat because China will undoubtably veto the proposal.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2005, 11:27:38 PM »

We can give India a seat without giving one to Pakistan, but it's not really worth it.

Basically, either leave it as-is, or scrap the permanent members (which France would veto)

It can't be reformed; if it is the only reform is the inclusion of Inia, either as a 6th power or by the creation of an EU seat merging the UK and France, and providing representation to Germany, Italy etc.-which the French might support, but the Brits wouldn't.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2005, 09:40:28 PM »

Hey, I'd just like to apoligize for being gone all weekend.  I was at a Forensics tournament at Princeton and forgot to post a leave of absence.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2005, 12:52:33 AM »

Hey, I'd just like to apoligize for being gone all weekend.  I was at a Forensics tournament at Princeton and forgot to post a leave of absence.

This is unacceptable.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2005, 03:29:27 AM »

I thought the Federal Government is closed on weekends anyway at least the DOJ is). Or was this a diplomatic trip to establish relations with the "nation" of Princeton?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2005, 08:41:15 AM »

I will be traveling to Western Europe to discuss trade relations with the EU.  Here is my schedule:

December 8-9: UK (London, meet with Prime Minister Blair)
December 10: Address EU Parliament in Brussels
December 11-13: France (Paris, Normandy, Lyons, discuss French riots with Chirac)
December 14-17: Germany (Munich, Berlin, Bonn, meet with Merkel)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies