Reasonable Europeans Should Read This Objectively...It Makes Sense (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:19:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Reasonable Europeans Should Read This Objectively...It Makes Sense (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reasonable Europeans Should Read This Objectively...It Makes Sense  (Read 2423 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« on: November 15, 2005, 06:55:31 AM »
« edited: November 15, 2005, 07:00:27 AM by The new and improved Old Europe »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't know what point Steyn is trying to make here and frankly I really, really don't want to know...

That it is the Muslims' own fault that a genocide was committed against them... probably like the Jews' responsibility for the Holocaust? *rolls eyes*
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 07:39:41 AM »

Pretty much what I expected from the poster Old Europe...

So, what is that supposed to mean? An polemic article derves an polemic answer. If you want an "objective" or a "reasonable" discussion about the topic, I urge you to post an objective or reasonable article.

I see some parallels between Steyn's argumentation and those of Holcaust deniers/apologizers. Let me say first that unlike the situation in World War II, the Muslim factions in the Bosnian civil war of course beared their part of the responsibility too. Nevertheless, the concentration camps operated by the Serbs reminded of particular events which took place 50 years earlier in Europe, only to a smaller extent. What Steyn is doing now is to blame the guilt for the collapse of Yugoslavia and the subsequent civil war and genocide totally on the Bosnian Muslims, although the Serbs share equal, or maybe even primary responsibility. The victims are turned into perpetrators. I don't know how you would call this, but I call it revisionist history.

Plus, there is the beginnings of an unholy alliance between the Far Left and Islamics in Europe, which will increase their numbers and influence.

Not to forget the alliances between the Far Right and Islamists... see the NPD in Germany.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 01:13:36 PM »

Somehow you and your seemingly paranoid mind turned that into an analogy of Holocaust denial...that's an interesting leap...makes no sense at all of course, but very interesting...

And I thought discrediting political opponents as mentally ill was primarily an attribute of Stalinism... aside from this that's a pretty insulting and immature comment.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 05:38:54 PM »

Somehow you and your seemingly paranoid mind turned that into an analogy of Holocaust denial...that's an interesting leap...makes no sense at all of course, but very interesting...

And I thought discrediting political opponents as mentally ill was primarily an attribute of Stalinism... aside from this that's a pretty insulting and immature comment.

Oh, that's rich...you imply that Mark Steyn, and thus indirectly my position, is racist, anti-semitic and generally ridiculous, and you have the nerve to get upset when I claim your position (which WAS bizarre) might be indicative of a paranoid mind.

As for your Stalinism comment...no, that's your side of the political aisle, not mine.

Where did I say that he's an anti-Semite? Oh, well, in a way he could be one, considering that at least Arabs etc. are Semites too. But this isn't how the word "anti-Semitism" is usually used.

What I did is to point out similarities between his argumentation with that of some Holocaust revisionists. In both cases is the blame for a genocide sometimes layed on the victims of the genocide. Steyn basically said, that the whole/main reason for the outbreak of the civil war in Yugoslavia is the fact that the Muslim population was growing for some time:

In a democratic age, you can't buck demography - except through civil war. The Yugoslavs figured that out. In the 30 years before the meltdown, Bosnian Serbs had declined from 43 per cent to 31 per cent of the population, while Bosnian Muslims had increased from 26 per cent to 44 per cent.

And now to the charge that I was "indirectly implying" that you're a racist. Again, show me where I said this. And why the double standard anyway? Al said in his first post:

At the time, this was taken as confirmation of my descent into insanity.

Well that had been confirmed a while ago actually

Using your argumentation now, Al was "implying" here that Steyn, and thus "indirectly" you too, is insane. Double standard.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 05:58:11 PM »

Old Europe,

You're right, I did implement a double standard. I cut Al slack...because I LIKE him and generally respect his views.

Ah, I see, under normal circumstances you would have treated him like dirt too. Now, I feel better.

If you're generally treating criticism against controversial statements made in articles/editorials you post here as personal insults against yourself I can't help you. What did you expect? That everyone is shouting "Oh, this article is soooo right, I'll make Mark Steyn my personal guru now"? What's the point of a internet forum then anyway?

An additional remark about your statement that my position is "bizarre"... well, we can agree to disagree, but that's no reason at all to start rants about me being a "paranoid mind". You will have a hard time to find any "reasonable Europeans", when you call everyone you "don't like" paranoid.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 06:02:58 PM »

Could you two calm it down a little, please?

To get called a "paranoid mind" isn't exactly a good condition to stay calm. Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies