Reading "Where The Right Went Wrong" by Pat Buchanan. Ask me anything. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:48:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  Reading "Where The Right Went Wrong" by Pat Buchanan. Ask me anything. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reading "Where The Right Went Wrong" by Pat Buchanan. Ask me anything.  (Read 6971 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« on: February 27, 2007, 04:30:35 PM »

In a way he is more like Henry Cabot Lodge than a segregationist. (A stretch I know).

I think you will now be haunted by Henry Cabot Lodge's ghost because you just called him such a grave insult.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 06:04:51 PM »

In a way he is more like Henry Cabot Lodge than a segregationist. (A stretch I know).

I think you will now be haunted by Henry Cabot Lodge's ghost because you just called him such a grave insult.

I meant no disrespect to Mr. Lodge  Wink

My point was that both he and Buchanan are paleo-conservatives, not neo-cons.

If Lodge is a paleo-conservative than basically every American politician before 1990 was a paleo-conservative. If anything Lodge was a liberal Republican of the type that used to dominate the Northeast not a paleo-conservative, and in no way a ideological predecessor of Buchanan. If anything Buchanan is just the old nativist populist reactionary beliefs of some parts of America, the Know-Nothings, the Populists of the late 19th century the America First crowd of the 30's, manifest in a modern individual.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The older Lodge was from the tradition of Republican isolationism which contributed to his dislike of the League of Nations along with the fact that it was proposed by Woodrow Wilson didn't really endear it to him or other Republicans of the day. Many saw the TR/Wilson pre-emptive and agressive foreign policy fail by it bringing America into a European war which many thought it didn't belong in. Henry Cabot Lodge though was very much of the internationalist moderate vein within the Republican party of the day.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies