Is the English language sexist?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:10:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is the English language sexist?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Is the English language sexist?  (Read 6287 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2005, 08:36:37 PM »

Of course it is. I wonder if anyone will deny this.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 08:39:06 PM »

Not as much as many other languages that have separate genders for every word.

Anyway, so what if it is?  What exactly do you plan to do about it?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 08:41:55 PM »

Yes, it is. However, I do not believe that linguistic sexism is problematic. There are more pressing issues than whether one should use "he" or "he or she."
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 08:45:07 PM »

No.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 10:20:42 PM »

I vote no, as a comparison.  Some languages have no neutral pronoun, like "it."  It would be "she" meaning a chair, or "he" meaning a table.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 10:21:25 PM »

The language itself is not sexist; it simply is what it is.  The origins of certain things, such as "he" being the "default" pronoun to reference an undefined person, however, do stem from a patriarchal society that could reasonbly be called sexist.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 10:21:33 PM »

no, it's not
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 10:28:35 PM »

No, comparing to French or any other Latin language.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 10:47:50 PM »

The question is not whether it is sexist relative to other languages, in which case the answer would be no.

On its own, though, yes.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 11:55:10 PM »

No, comparing to French or any other Latin language.

I'm not sure French is sexist so much as just plain weird, as is any language in which inanimate objects have gender.  I would personally say that French is less sexist than English due to the common usage of genderless word on.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 12:19:47 AM »

I voted yes, but it really is a difficult question to answer. It's not as obvious to me as the name change debate we had. And, I would add it's not as big a deal. And certainly, English is not as bad as French is.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 12:20:39 AM »

No.

The English language does not state any sort of superiority or inferiority of either of the sexes; it is an emotionless system of communication that can only be made sexist by the people who use it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005, 12:25:18 AM »

No.

The English language does not state any sort of superiority or inferiority of either of the sexes; it is an emotionless system of communication that can only be made sexist by the people who use it.

This is partly true, but I think he was referring to words like "woman". Why is woman at woman, and man just man? This is why some women have decided to adopt the word "womyn" like the Womyn's Centre on campus. However, I don't see it as a big problem, not with the English language anyways. Words are words. However, when it comes to names of professions, gender neutral terms may seem politically correct, but they are necessary. I'm not going to call a woman a "mailman" for example.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005, 12:28:10 AM »

Yes.  Proof:

"He" and "she."  These words indicate sex.  I don't offhand remember a language that isn't sexist.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2005, 12:28:57 AM »
« Edited: November 18, 2005, 12:31:37 AM by Senator Porce »

This is partly true, but I think he was referring to words like "woman". Why is woman at woman, and man just man? This is why some women have decided to adopt the word "womyn" like the Womyn's Centre on campus. However, I don't see it as a big problem, not with the English language anyways. Words are words. However, when it comes to names of professions, gender neutral terms may seem politically correct, but they are necessary. I'm not going to call a woman a "mailman" for example.

I don't see how the similarity of the words "woman" and "man" is sexist in any way, shape, or form.  Words with similar meanings (i.e. the two types of sexes in the human species) should have similar spellings and pronounciations so that children who are learning the language understand the similarities and the differences; it is a cornerstone of basic civilized language, not sexism.

I agree with you that it is unwise to call mailwoman a mailman; and there is nothing politically correct about using accurate words to describe professions.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2005, 12:43:50 AM »

I don't see how the similarity of the words "woman" and "man" is sexist in any way, shape, or form.  Words with similar meanings (i.e. the two types of sexes in the human species) should have similar spellings and pronounciations so that children who are learning the language understand the similarities and the differences; it is a cornerstone of basic civilized language, not sexism.

I guess some women don't like having the word "man" in their word. It's a bit more complicated than that, but I'm not going to explain.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2005, 01:24:47 AM »

What women should really be pushing for, if they want to really get to the root of the problem, is to make "man" into "werman" or "waepman".  Originally, in Old English, "man" referred to a person whose gender was unspecified.  A "wifman" was a female man and a "werman" or "waepman" (the latter being more common, from what I know) was a male man.

Words like "mankind" are not actually excluding women at all - it's just that the meaning of "man" by itself has changed from what it used to be.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2005, 01:47:12 AM »

No, of course not. As Gabu sort of explained not that long ago the word "man" meant every human being. Not just males.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2005, 10:16:27 AM »

16 of us did.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2005, 10:20:49 AM »

What women should really be pushing for, if they want to really get to the root of the problem, is to make "man" into "werman" or "waepman".  Originally, in Old English, "man" referred to a person whose gender was unspecified.  A "wifman" was a female man and a "werman" or "waepman" (the latter being more common, from what I know) was a male man.

Words like "mankind" are not actually excluding women at all - it's just that the meaning of "man" by itself has changed from what it used to be.

Yeah, but unfortunately man means both the gender and humans in general. Not much we can do about language, though. It is an evolving process.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2005, 11:38:23 AM »

Yes, the English language actively discriminates against womyn, showering attention and bias towards men.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2005, 11:56:50 AM »

Yes, and it should therefore be banned. The same goes for all other languages, so the use of language should therefore be generally banned.
Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2005, 01:35:03 PM »

I don't think there's a single language in the world that doesn't offend certain sections of people.  Therefore, I recommend we all convert to a more basic system of grunts and whistles.  All agreed?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2005, 05:41:01 PM »

I don't think there's a single language in the world that doesn't offend certain sections of people.  Therefore, I recommend we all convert to a more basic system of grunts and whistles.  All agreed?
Harumph.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2005, 05:47:13 PM »

Yes, and it should therefore be banned. The same goes for all other languages, so the use of language should therefore be generally banned.
Smiley

Thank God. Now you can shut up for once. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies