What did your mom do while you grew up?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:38:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What did your mom do while you grew up?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: What did your mom do while you grew up?
d-She worked

d-She cleaned the house

r-She worked

r-She cleaned the house

i-She worked

i-She cleaned the house

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: What did your mom do while you grew up?  (Read 4290 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2005, 11:56:07 PM »

MissCatholic, I think relationship abuse is a two way street.  Yes, I think there are a lot of domineering prick men who need to grow up, but there are women who treat their men like sh**t as well.  There are women who sit on their asses and expect men to provide for them and pamper them while they watch soaps all day.  Trust me, I have met a lot of sh**t women in the dating world.  Granted, I find women easier than men when it comes to weight, etc., but horrible on other things such as whether a guy lives with his parents, has a nice car, good job, etc.  

Don't take this as anti-feminist, but realize there are assholes all around.  

Flyers, you're completely right.  But somehow, I don't see "Miss"Catholic being swayed by logic.  "She" is just looking to spew out her usual nonsense with her usual 3rd grade reasoning ability.

And why would it be "anti-feminist" to say that not all men are assholes, and all women perfect?  Actually, now that I think of it, that is the feminist philosophy in a nutshell, so I guess to deny it really is anti-feminist. Tongue  I guess I can't see why you'd see anything wrong with being anti-feminist when that is how feminism is defined.

I listen to reason and follow it surprise surprise!  Feminism is a tough issue for me to grapple with and it goes way beyond the pro-choice arguments.  I don't hate women, but I'm finding a lot of assholes out there in the dating scene.  "She" makes it seem like men are all domineering asses that like to use women and force them to be barefoot and in the kitchen, which is quite far from the truth with me.  Hell, I wouldn't mind a nice sugar mama that made more than me! Smiley
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2005, 12:05:45 AM »

I listen to reason and follow it surprise surprise!  Feminism is a tough issue for me to grapple with and it goes way beyond the pro-choice arguments.  I don't hate women, but I'm finding a lot of assholes out there in the dating scene.  "She" makes it seem like men are all domineering asses that like to use women and force them to be barefoot and in the kitchen, which is quite far from the truth with me.  Hell, I wouldn't mind a nice sugar mama that made more than me! Smiley

What you need to realize Flyers is that you won't forestall the contempt of rabid feminist women by agreeing with them on their issues.  That only makes them more contemptuous.  Real feminists who hold the views are represented by "Miss"Catholic don't like men.  Period.  If you have a c&^k and b&^ls, you're evil, so there's no point in trying to please these types of people.

We should all believe what we think is right.  I believe in equality for women, but I would never accept the label of feminist.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2005, 12:09:27 AM »

Work (normal)

My parents shared the house work like any family should. When I was young I thought vacuuming and cooking was a man's job Cheesy
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2005, 12:20:29 AM »

Work (normal)

My parents shared the house work like any family should. When I was young I thought vacuuming and cooking was a man's job Cheesy

So much for the idea of "choice."  Feminist supporters only support choice when you make the choices they think you should make.  Typical.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2005, 12:26:09 AM »

Work (normal)

So much for the idea of "choice."  Feminist supporters only support choice when you make the choices they think you should make.  Typical.

Huh? Don't be an idiot. Much of what feminists believe is about the rights of the homemakers. Please don't try and pretend you know what feminism is, because you don't.

But, from my opinion, I value hard work for the family, and work work for society, and I feel that both parents should contribute to society and the family. Fathers all to often miss out on their role in the family, and mothers miss out on their role in society.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2005, 08:11:05 AM »

Work (normal)

Huh? Don't be an idiot. Much of what feminists believe is about the rights of the homemakers. Please don't try and pretend you know what feminism is, because you don't.

But, from my opinion, I value hard work for the family, and work work for society, and I feel that both parents should contribute to society and the family. Fathers all to often miss out on their role in the family, and mothers miss out on their role in society.

You're the one who knows nothing about what feminists support.

I definitely caught the snide implication in your "work (normal)" statement.  I understand that the implication is that the situation is not "normal" if the woman doesn't work outside the home.  In this, you simply echo the disrespect and contempt that feminists have for homemakers.  Feminists don't give two s&%ts about the rights of homemakers, and obviously neither do you, so don't tell me that feminism is about the rights of homemakers.

Your comment in this very thread also suggests further denigration of homemakers, when you say that both parents should "contribute to society."  Obviously, you don't think that homemakers contribute to society, when in fact some are making a much better contribution than they would if they were "working."  What business is it of yours how families divide up the responsibilities of earning a living and running the household?

You have proven my original point to the nth degree with this post.  You have said that YOU feel that both parents should work, and both parents should share household responsibilities.  That is none of your f&$king business, and none of the business of those wretched feminists, how families choose to function.  It proves what I said initially about feminists and "choice" and "rights:"  that those two words are merely a smokescreen for the coercive and dictatorial ideas that they seek to impose.  Feminists support "choice" as long as a woman and her family make the "choices" that feminists deem appropriate, and you have bought into that philosophy hook, line and sinker, my friend.  If they don't, then they are to be vilified.  Thanks for proving me right.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2005, 12:48:59 PM »

She did both. She trained as a teacher but also looked after the house.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2005, 12:52:20 PM »

She worked until my sister was born and then she raised us kids. She's considering going back to work now just for something to do while we're at school.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2005, 01:01:48 PM »

My mom does both. Everyone cleans up a bit.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2005, 01:06:13 PM »

What you need to realize Flyers is that you won't forestall the contempt of rabid feminist women by agreeing with them on their issues.  That only makes them more contemptuous.  Real feminists who hold the views are represented by "Miss"Catholic don't like men.  Period.  If you have a c&^k and b&^ls, you're evil, so there's no point in trying to please these types of people.

We should all believe what we think is right.  I believe in equality for women, but I would never accept the label of feminist.

I know many pro-choice, pro-equal rights women who don't hold contempt for men, but there are a few that do.  I think I remember saying I was at a YDA Conference and women from Bryn Mawr College showed up.  Out of about 20 women only 3 were interested in talking to men there and they were the only ones that tried to look attractive.  The rest wore beat up army surplus clothing, moustaches, or pit hair.  I can't stand feminists that hate men because hell I am a man.  I also realize that not all feminists hate men.  I'm going to have to disagree with you on the fact that taking some of their positions makes them more contemptuous.  However, the more militant ones are not helping their cause and should be less anti-man.  
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2005, 01:08:45 PM »

My dad.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2005, 01:16:58 PM »

My father worked at his job and my mother stayed home (but both of them did housework) -- when I entered high school, my mother also had to get a job to help pay the bills.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2005, 02:07:37 PM »

She did neither, of course.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2005, 06:43:44 PM »

Depending on when you're talking about, options 3,  4, and some combination of the two.

She still does the bulk of the cleaning (dad is not the kind of person to pick up after himself, I'm off in college and generally did a lousy job, and even if we could afford it mom would never hire a cleaning lady - she doesn't want stuff stolen, is concerned about privacy, etc), and works shorter hours then dad (mom works an average of 40 hours per week, dad an average of 60 - of course, dad earns 2-3x as much as mom has a stable but fairly lousy job as in the state government while dad, when he is working, manages a car dealership. Even with the long lulls in work [sometimes 4 months or more], he still earns the bulk of the income, mom works mainly for stability and benefits). 

Actually, she 'worked' since I was 3, but before I was 11 she sold Avon, which was part time anyway and didn't earn a lot of money. I remember she used to take me along in the car while she went to her customers.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2005, 06:47:57 PM »

ZING
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2005, 07:08:27 PM »

(D) Both. But I voted Option 1 since she worked outside the home.

I agree with other posters who have said that 'cleaning the house' is working and that being a homemaker involves much more than cleaning the house.

My thread on this subject was much more politically correct.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2005, 09:37:47 PM »

Tongue Perfect answer, buddy. Smiley
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2005, 12:20:24 PM »

My mom had to work and be a home-maker. I come from a single-parent household.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2005, 12:32:32 PM »

(D) Both. But I voted Option 1 since she worked outside the home.

I agree with other posters who have said that 'cleaning the house' is working and that being a homemaker involves much more than cleaning the house.

My thread on this subject was much more politically correct.
But not everyone's mom made a house.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2005, 02:54:13 PM »

My mother did both.  She was a nurse as well as a homemaker.  Not to say my father just sat around and barked orders, since he too worked long days.
Tory

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2005, 04:14:42 PM »

She cleaned the house and worked
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2005, 07:39:51 PM »

She worked (and then cleaned the house on the weekends). Smiley
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2005, 10:07:16 PM »

Well, when I was an infant, she was an ob/gyn nurse at a local hospital.

Then, when my brother was born, she quit that job and became a full-time mother.

When I entered elementry school, she became a legal secretary at my dad's office where she remains today.  She handles all the accounting information.

Rin-chan
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2005, 10:27:58 PM »

My mother was a homemaker when I was growing up.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2005, 11:06:19 PM »

This is what I read in the first post:

Oh my God!  Women are so oppressed!  We need to fight for our rights.  Let's stand up.  GO ERA.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies