Am I politically correct?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:21:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Am I politically correct?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Am I politically correct?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Am I politically correct?  (Read 1253 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2005, 02:00:28 AM »

In the past such as in high school I was accused of being "too PC" because I refused to ever use homophobic slurs as insults. I will never call someone I dislike a fag, I will never say "that's gay" over something I don't like, etc which is all childish high school garbage since I barely hear that type of stuff anymore. I also didn't adhere to the "if it's offensive, it's automatically funny" school of thought that the morons who listened to ICP and Eminem did.

Yet for some reason, dazzleman seems to think that being PC means being a Muslim-lover. By that logic, I am not PC at all, and posters like John Ford and J.J. are actually super PC. Since I've never heard this definition before I find it quite odd.

It appears that very few people agree with dazzleman, as I looked up the wikipedia article on "political correctness" and did a search for "Islam" and "muslim" and got no results. Therefore it would conclude that this definition of loving Islam is quite off from the commonly accepted one. And the first sentence reads "Political correctness (also politically correct, P.C. or PC) is a term used in English-speaking countries to describe real or perceived attempts to impose limits on the acceptable language and terms used in public discussion." That really has pretty much nothing to do with Islam at all.

So am I PC? And if not, does that make John Ford, J.J, htmldon and other Islam lover Republicans PC using this bizarre new definition dazzleman believes in?
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 02:02:58 AM »

Hmm...When was happy hour in Mankato?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 02:03:21 AM »

No, I can't think of all that many things that would make you politically correct.

Dazzleman... well, I've already said it enough times, but it seems to be his thing to attempt to pin absolutely everything that goes wrong in the world on liberals, regardless of how much sense it makes when weighed against the other options.  Take that as you will.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 02:08:07 AM »

nah, your tendency to overgeneralize has been a longstanding factor working against you being correct.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 02:12:41 AM »

nah, your tendency to overgeneralize has been a longstanding factor working against you being correct.

dazzleman's the number 1 overgeneralizer. He has basically claimed that every single feminist agrees with every single thing MacKinnon and Dworkin said.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 05:52:11 AM »

There's nothing wrong with being politically correct.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 08:24:56 AM »

I understand what you mean. I'm not PC, I am not exactly a cheerleasder for Islam by any means but I don't use gay insults because of my own sexuality and that would be a bit ironic if I did.

Secondly people seem to think that there is something wrong with me because I am a strong supporter of Israel, i've been labeled a 'fascist' by some idiot in a debate once. You can never please people can you Smiley
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 09:37:45 AM »

BRTD, I've obviously been quite successful in getting under your skin.  I guess I should be flattered that you seem to think enough of what I say to be obsessed with making threads over and over again trying to prove me wrong.  Frankly, I don't care much what you think, because you have not so far demonstrated particularly good reasoning ability, to put it mildly, so I am not surprised that you continually misinterpret and misunderstand the points that I have tried to make.

As I think I have expressed to you before, I myself am suspicious of islam, but not flat-out anti-islam in all cases.  Still, if somebody is a muslim and that's all I know about them, I will err on the side of suspicion.  I'm not necessarily proud of that fact, but I am honest about it.  But I don't believe that every muslim person is irretrievably evil, nor do I believe that the religion when properly interpreted necessarily incites violence or forces people to be slaves, effectively.  Any philosophy can be twisted into something ugly, and that is what has happened with islam to a large degree.

I have also said that one of the principal strands of left-wing political correctness is anti-Americanism.  I continue to believe this to be the case.  Political correctness is an assault on certain traditional American values.  Some of what political correctness attacks is bad, but some of it is good too.  That seems not to matter to those who are promulgating it.  If you have not seen left-wing defense of islam, then your eyes are not open very wide.  No surprise there.  While some left-wing people may not be wild about islam taken on its own, I think they are less critical of it than they would otherwise be because of the anti-Americanism of fundamentalist islam.

You accuse me of overgeneralizing, but you are assuming some things that I have never actually said.  I never said, for example, that all feminists agree with MacKinnon and Dworkin, though I do think their ideas infect the movement in a more subtle way and affect the thinking of even those who wouldn't directly agree with them in a negative way.  You don't seem to understand subtlety too well, so I can see why you might misunderstand me on that point.  I have also never said that all left-wing people love islam.  But I do stand by my point about left-wing philosophy being anti-American at its base, and having a tendency to give a free pass to ideas they would otherwise find hateful because they are anti-American.

It's true that I blame much of what is wrong with the world on left-wing philosophy.  Of course, that is not the whole picture, but I think it's fair to say that far left-wing philosophy has caused a great deal of pain and problems here and abroad, even when well intentioned.  The same is true of far-right (and I don't define mainstream Republicans as far right, as you seem to), though I don't think that far-right ideas ever gained the currency that far-left ideas did after the end of World War II.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 12:59:15 PM »

^^^^^
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 01:05:04 PM »

No, you're merely a decent person, who considers other people.  Dazzleman would be pretty much your opposite, misrepresenting and insulting society's most vulnerable at every turn.  The sort of man who would kick a dog.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 01:16:42 AM »

A person who talks about rubbing his face in women's breasts (and paying her for it): Politically correct? I think not.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 01:28:28 AM »

A person who talks about rubbing his face in women's breasts (and paying her for it): Politically correct? I think not.

How would you know anything about it?  It's not like you're interested in that sort of thing.  Tongue
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 02:11:42 AM »

How would you know anything about it?  It's not like you're interested in that sort of thing.  Tongue

No, but amazingly I have encountered heterosexuals in life and know what the politically correct ones talk about. We don't live in a village contrary to what you may think.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 02:43:04 AM »

No, but amazingly I have encountered heterosexuals in life and know what the politically correct ones talk about. We don't live in a village contrary to what you may think.

No, I know.  It was sort of a joke.

I have actually been to strip clubs with friends of whom one or two of the group were homosexuals.  (two occasions actually)

I never really understood what they got out of it.  But I guess it's sort of like any heterosexual man who goes to a gay bar.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 04:52:35 AM »

I have actually been to strip clubs with friends of whom one or two of the group were homosexuals.  (two occasions actually)

Maybe they're not totally gay.
Anyways, did you have your shotgun with you?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies