clean, renewable energy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:57:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  clean, renewable energy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: clean, renewable energy  (Read 1276 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2005, 11:59:50 AM »

how come this isnt a bigger priority?

i think it is the most serious issue we will face in my generation.

we are quickly draining away finite resources (kind of like my bank account).  what's worse is that we are f'ing up the planet, both environmentally and geopolitically, as we are abusing these resources.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 12:28:43 PM »

I agree and I hate to sound bitter but if Gore were in the White House now I think it would be.

Unfortunetly, there are enough people in power in the government who think that global warming/the environmental movement in a hoax.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 12:31:04 PM »

I agree and I hate to sound bitter but if Gore were in the White House now I think it would be.

Unfortunetly, there are enough people in power in the government who think that global warming/the environmental movement in a hoax.

but this is bigger than just a government problem.

i really dont know if it matters who is in the white house.  we americans appear to be completely unwilling to change or reform any of our polluting habits.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 12:32:08 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2005, 12:33:42 PM by phknrocket1k »

i really dont know if it matters who is in the white house.  we americans appear to be completely unwilling to change or reform any of our polluting habits.

Agents of change are rarely welcomed WalterMitty.

A girl provided an argument in class the other day, that many people feel that thier rights to freedom are being infringed.  By encouraging changes in  our fuel consumption habits.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 01:00:34 PM »

we are quickly draining away finite resources (kind of like my bank account). 

What's hitting you hardest, Mitty?  High housing costs?  High fuel prices?  Low wages?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 07:11:01 PM »

If you gave a sh**t about alternative energy research, you'd know that the key thing was to get Kerry elected. Two Texas oilmen aren't going to sh**t for alternative energy research.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 07:34:58 PM »

Well, it absolutely is a great concern.  But nothing is going to happen with all the bueracracy and regulation that discourages businesses and people from getting affordable renewable energy and using it, thanks to the fact the Republicans dominate our government; and Big Oil dominates the Republicans.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 07:40:28 PM »

The White House doesn't give two sh*ts about energy independence.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 07:45:23 PM »

we are quickly draining away finite resources (kind of like my bank account).  what's worse is that we are f'ing up the planet, both environmentally and geopolitically, as we are abusing these resources.

I agree 100%, Mitty. This will be the most pressing concern in our country over the next 50 years (along with health care). We clearly need alternative energy if our country is expected to prosper over the next 100 years. If not, there will be disaster.

Democrats will make energy independence a top priority starting with the 2006 elections. Every Democratic candidate in 2008 will make it a top issue. If a Democrat is elected, you will clearly see progress being made in the future.

I hate to mention our current president, but JFern is correct. If people really cared about energy independence, the stupidest thing they possibly could have done was re-elect Bush/Cheney. These guys have given the oil companies everything they wanted and have set back the quest for alternative energy many years.

TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 07:51:31 PM »

i really dont know if it matters who is in the white house. 

I couldn't disagree more. A president who makes it a top priority and shows true leadership would do wonders towards changing the conventional thinking in this country.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 09:49:55 AM »

Maybe, but we have grown more aware of the effects our industry has on the Earth and made some great progress in limiting/repairing the damage.

As far as the clean energy goes, there is only so much that the government can do to encourage a shift in our energy supply/demand.  The real force comes from the consumers.  I can stand on my front porch all day long demanding that the US shift to hydrogen, but if I keep buying cars that burn gas, the corporations have no incentive to change what they produce.

As far as what needs to be done to force a transition from oil to hydrogen, and the means in which to produce hydrogen easily from non-oil/nautral gas resources, simply search my numerous posts on the issue.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 11:05:38 AM »

This thread is a comedy goldmine.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 11:20:34 AM »

I hate to mention our current president, but JFern is correct. If people really cared about energy independence, the stupidest thing they possibly could have done was re-elect Bush/Cheney. These guys have given the oil companies everything they wanted and have set back the quest for alternative energy many years.

Bush has done more for energy independence than any recent president over a wide range of energy production, including hydrogen and nuclear power. 
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 04:02:07 PM »

If you gave a sh**t about alternative energy research, you'd know that the key thing was to get Kerry elected. Two Texas oilmen aren't going to sh**t for alternative energy research.

youre obviously a divider and not a uniter.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 04:03:27 PM »

The Texas oilmen already divided the country.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2005, 04:07:38 PM »

There was a good article today in the NY Times regarding Schweitzer's push for coal to fuel...

Link to the article

Snip from the article:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2005, 05:41:12 PM »

The Texas oilmen already divided the country.

And you're doing a wonderful job trying to keep it that way. Roll Eyes
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2005, 05:44:08 PM »

Personally I don't think we will run out of fuel anytime soon, although the cost of fuel may go up. There are many untapped sources of hydrocarbon fuel which can be utilized in the future, oil from coal as Nickshep mentioned, oil sands (looks like our canadian friends hit the jackpot on that one) and methane hydrate on the sea floor. It just gets more expensive to produce it.

For those folks who are concerned about CO2 production, none of these will help because they all involve burning hydrocarbon fuels which produces CO2.

Other energy sources like solar are still not very practical. Although if someone comes up with a low cost, efficient solar electric cell we might be able to get quite a bit of power that way. People could put solar cells on the roof of their homes instead of shingles. It wouldn't supply all of your power but it could reduce the air conditioning bill significantly in the summer.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies