52% of respondents believe all U.S. soldiers should withdraw from Iraq
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:37:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  52% of respondents believe all U.S. soldiers should withdraw from Iraq
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 52% of respondents believe all U.S. soldiers should withdraw from Iraq  (Read 1889 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2005, 06:34:50 PM »

Americans Want Troops Out of Iraq Within A Year

(Angus Reid Global Scan) – Many adults in the United States believe an exit strategy should be implemented in Iraq soon, according to a poll by Gallup released by CNN and USA Today. 52 per cent of respondents believe all U.S. soldiers should withdraw from Iraq either immediately or over the next 12 months.

Conversely, 38 per cent of respondents believe the troops should stay in Iraq for as long as they are needed, and seven per cent would deploy more soldiers.

The coalition effort against Saddam Hussein’s regime was launched in March 2003. At least 2,083 American soldiers have died during the military operation, and more than 15,500 troops have been injured.

On Nov. 17, Democratic Pennsylvania congressman John Murtha—a Vietnam War veteran—introduced a bill seeking the withdrawal of U.S. troops stationed in Iraq "at the earliest practicable date," adding, "Our military has done everything that has been asked of them, the U.S. cannot accomplish anything further in Iraq militarily. It’s time to bring them home."

Yesterday, White House spokesman Scott McClellan issued a statement, which read, "The eve of an historic democratic election in Iraq is not the time to surrender to the terrorists. (...) We remain baffled—nowhere does (Murtha) explain how retreating from Iraq makes America safer."

Americans are divided in the likelihood of an eventual victory for coalition forces. 50 per cent of respondents think the U.S. cannot win the war in Iraq, while 46 per cent disagree.

Polling Data

Here are four different plans the U.S. could follow in dealing with the war in Iraq. Which one do you prefer: withdraw all troops from Iraq immediately, withdraw all troops by November 2006, withdraw troops, but take as many years to do this as are needed to turn control over to the Iraqis, or send more troops to Iraq?

Withdraw immediately

19%

Withdraw in 12 months

33%

Withdraw, take as many years as needed

38%

Send more troops

7%

No opinion

3%

Which comes closer to your view about the war in Iraq? The U.S. will definitely win the war in Iraq, the U.S. will probably win the war in Iraq, the U.S. can win the war in Iraq, but you don’t think it will win, or you do not think the U.S. can win the war in Iraq?

Definitely win

23%

Probably win

23%

Can win, but don’t think it will win

17%

Do not think it can win

33%

No opinion

4%
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 06:42:22 PM »

Great, another thing that I was ahead of the curve by about 3 years, and am now finally in the majority. Too bad the American liberal is so ignored in today's society.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 07:42:45 PM »

The establishment turns their noses up at the American people because they think they're better than us.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 09:21:29 PM »

Thank goodness this country isn't run by people who respond to polls.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 09:23:15 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2005, 09:26:22 PM by thefactor »

Shut up, you elitist prude. Wink
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 09:24:55 PM »

I take it you would prefer a democracy to a republic?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 09:26:02 PM »

They're not necessarily exclusive.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 09:32:12 PM »

Fair enough.

My personal opinion is that direct democracy (as opposed to a republic) is a dangerous system of government. Public opinion changes very often and very unpredictably. Were this country governed on the basis of polls, there would be utter chaos in its policies.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 09:33:58 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2005, 09:36:06 PM by thefactor »

Fair enough.

My personal opinion is that direct democracy (as opposed to a republic) is a dangerous system of government. Public opinion changes very often and very unpredictably. Were this country governed on the basis of polls, there would be utter chaos in its policies.

That is true. I modified my post to show that I was joking. But conservatives do like to complain all the time how liberals are so elitist when the ignore the fact that public opinion is as often as not against them.

Also, republicans have an annoying, almost obsessive tendency to insist on the term "republic" being used, while either republic OR representative democracy, one of two main types of democracy, would be technically correct. I can only think it has something to do with their party being called the Republican party. Whatever, if semantics matter that much to them so be it, but it's technically correct either way.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 09:36:21 PM »

But conservatives do like to complain all the time how liberals are so elitist when the ignore the fact that public opinion is as often as not against them.
Definitely true. I think that, in general, conservative pro-business "elitism" is more evident than liberal elitism.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2005, 09:41:29 PM »

"Democracy" is associated with majority rule far more than the word "republic." Hence the insistence on the word republic in situations like this.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2005, 10:05:27 PM »

I'd like everyone to not the correlation between the perceptions of how the war is going and what policy people think had ought to be adopted.

33% take the most pessimistic view of how things are going, and 33% take the most pro-withdrawal position.

17% take the second most pessimistic view, and 19% take the second most pro-withdrawal position.

46% take an optimistic view, and 45% oppose a speedy withdrawal.

This is not coincidental, but I don't think the White House knows that.

The establishment turns their noses up at the American people because they think they're better than us.

The establishment is right.  They are better than the average person.  And not just a little better, either.

Great, another thing that I was ahead of the curve by about 3 years, and am now finally in the majority. Too bad the American liberal is so ignored in today's society.

And in 18 months when things are going well, and the bandwagoners turn on you, will you use public opinion polls to determine what is right and what is wrong then?

I don't think your optimism is fully justified.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 09:46:14 AM »

I'll second that.
Monty
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 04:30:31 PM »

Thank goodness we have a bunch of hack politicians to flush our money down the toilet on bridges to nowhere and never-ending nation-building projects. 
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 09:52:41 PM »

This just in: 52% of America called braindead.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2005, 10:14:19 PM »

Fair enough.

That is true. I modified my post to show that I was joking. But conservatives do like to complain all the time how liberals are so elitist when the ignore the fact that public opinion is as often as not against them.

Also, republicans have an annoying, almost obsessive tendency to insist on the term "republic" being used, while either republic OR representative democracy, one of two main types of democracy, would be technically correct. I can only think it has something to do with their party being called the Republican party. Whatever, if semantics matter that much to them so be it, but it's technically correct either way.

I think I finally get why one party is called the Democrats and the other the Republicans Wink
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2005, 06:18:30 AM »

Considering over half of america supports withdrawal AND the theory of 'intelligent design'...how the bloody hell did the US get to be the sole superpoer? Tongue
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2005, 11:28:21 AM »

Considering over half of america supports withdrawal AND the theory of 'intelligent design'...how the bloody hell did the US get to be the sole superpoer? Tongue

hehehe . . . because the intelligent design side cancels out the withdrawal side.  Smiley
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2005, 05:38:31 AM »

Fair enough.

It's better than having a crazy minimum wage hating Bush vs. Gore supporting person in charge.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies