Huntsman supports civil unions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:35:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Huntsman supports civil unions
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Huntsman supports civil unions  (Read 3437 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 16, 2009, 04:50:47 PM »

http://politics.theatlantic.com/2009/02/2012_and_huntsmans_surprise.php

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Repercussions of this for his 2012 run?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 04:51:31 PM »

regardless of political consequences....Huntsman is an FF.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 05:01:59 PM »

He can forget about running for President...Too many Republicans see this as a huge turnoff...
I could care less. I don't agree with same-sex marriage, but it isn't a priority to me. I don't think it is "worse than terrorism" like some Oklahoman Congresswoman said.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 05:02:15 PM »

regardless of political consequences....Huntsman is an FF.

I agree, he's awesome for this.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 05:06:48 PM »

I am shocked. Huntsman favors civil unions?? I could never have imagined that.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 05:10:50 PM »

It's good to see Republicans that have a heart, isn't it?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 05:14:06 PM »

There goes the James Dobson endorsement.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 05:17:13 PM »

He can forget about running for President...Too many Republicans see this as a huge turnoff...
I could care less. I don't agree with same-sex marriage, but it isn't a priority to me. I don't think it is "worse than terrorism" like some Oklahoman Congresswoman said.

Neither does Huntsman.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 05:35:26 PM »

Totally surprising Huntsman supports what 70% of the country does especially because, what, 70% of his state opposes it and he's running for reelection ands all..oh, he's not?  And he has national ambitions?  What a surprise
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 05:37:55 PM »

Huntsman is a true FF. I may think about supporting him if he gets the nomination.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 05:40:14 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2009, 05:44:19 PM by Ogre Mage »

While the GOP is still not leading on gay rights (Dems have been pro-civil union for some time and in favor of anti-discrimination laws for a long time), Huntsman deserves credit for being ahead of the curve of his party, especially in Utah.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 06:09:39 PM »

Good for him but this is hardly surprising for mainstream conservatives like myself and the Governor.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 06:48:56 PM »

Huntsman is awesome.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 07:17:43 PM »

That Oklahoma legislator is a good friend of mine, Sally Kern.  I don't agree with her assessment, but she is still a good friend of mine.

I have to give Gov. Huntsman a lot of credit.  He's standing up to the majority of his party, especially in Utah, and recognizing that being favorable to civil unions and anti-discrimination laws is not the same as being pro-gay marriage.  I pretty much have the same view on the subject as the Governor with the slight exception that I'm slowly, very slowly, warming to gay marriage.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 08:22:22 PM »

That Oklahoma legislator is a good friend of mine, Sally Kern.  I don't agree with her assessment, but she is still a good friend of mine.

I have to give Gov. Huntsman a lot of credit.  He's standing up to the majority of his party, especially in Utah, and recognizing that being favorable to civil unions and anti-discrimination laws is not the same as being pro-gay marriage.  I pretty much have the same view on the subject as the Governor with the slight exception that I'm slowly, very slowly, warming to gay marriage.
I hope I didn't offend you. I don't mind her one bit, and would probably vote for her if I was in her district. I just think her assesment was, well, a bit too strong.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 09:18:52 PM »

Huntsman is trying to predict where the electorate is going to be in 4 or 8 years, not trying to match it as-is
Daniel Plainview
John P
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 09:49:05 PM »

Huntsman is trying to predict where the electorate is going to be in 4 or 8 years, not trying to match it as-is
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 10:04:44 PM »

I hope I didn't offend you. I don't mind her one bit, and would probably vote for her if I was in her district. I just think her assesment was, well, a bit too strong.

Oh, you didn't offend me at all about Rep. Kern.  I affirm your statement that she is overall a pretty good representative for her district, but also agree that her statement was a bit over the top.  I don't really agree with a lot of her politics, but I know her heart for the Lord God and her heart for her constituents and there is a heart of gold beating inside her chest.  Her elder son, Jesse, was my music minister from 1995-1997, and now lives in Iowa.  Her husband, Steve, is the pastor of Olivet Baptist Church in NW OKC.

Back to her politics, she wouldn't stand a chance in a lot of the country, but in Oklahoma where the folks are conservative, she is a good representative.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 11:45:07 PM »

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 02:56:27 AM »

tah Gov. Jon Huntsman, Jr. (R) stunned his state when his spokesperson  announced the governor's support for civil unions. 70 percent of Utahns oppose civil unions, but their objections won't count against Huntsman who said he won't run for a third term as governor - but they could weigh heavily on a 2012 White House run.

What ?

Check out the latest Dan Jones numbers:

Overall, however, 80 percent of Utahns still approve of the job Huntsman is doing.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 03:11:06 AM »

Why are you friends with hate mongering bigots?
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 03:59:16 PM »

Why are you friends with hate mongering bigots?

Why was Obama good friends with Wright?

Just because people have awful and nearly non-human associations; that does not mean they represent them.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 10:42:40 AM »

He might make an interesting candidate in 2012.  Seems better than Romney, at any rate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies