Should it be possible to ban violent video games?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:25:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should it be possible to ban violent video games?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should it be possible to ban violent video games?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Should it be possible to ban violent video games?  (Read 3318 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2005, 11:16:44 AM »

No, I don't think it does; new technology such as video games isn't convered under the first amendment...
That's a rather stunning conclusion. So governments can censor movies, CDs, the Internet, and books published in fonts that were not available in the eighteenth century?

Movies, yes; I'd say CD's and the internet are more of an extension of recorded speech than anything else.

I believe this forum is protected under the first amendment, as it bascially is interactive text.

Movies are just speech with pictures.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2005, 11:18:37 AM »

No, I don't think it does; new technology such as video games isn't convered under the first amendment...
That's a rather stunning conclusion. So governments can censor movies, CDs, the Internet, and books published in fonts that were not available in the eighteenth century?

Movies, yes; I'd say CD's and the internet are more of an extension of recorded speech than anything else.

I believe this forum is protected under the first amendment, as it bascially is interactive text.

Movies are just speech with pictures.

It's based on interpretation.  See, speech can't evolve all that much; it is what it is.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2005, 11:24:59 AM »

It is questionable whether a video game is speech. A video game is no more inherently expressive than, for example, a privately-run lottery (which is also banned in several states).

However, it is one thing to ban the sale of video games, and another to regulate their content. The latter raises serious First Amendment questions.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2005, 11:38:05 AM »

Semi-auto weapons are just an extention of flint-lock muskets.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2005, 12:25:35 PM »

I'm going to say I'm wrong about saying movies aren't free speech.

I still don't believe video games are speech.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2005, 03:11:38 PM »

Yes.  All violent video games and video games with sexual content should be banned completely.

They are offensive and degrading, and they serve no useful, worthwhile, or meaningful purpose.

That's a rather subjective opinion to force on everyone in an entire country.  Would you approve of me banning whatever you enjoy because I think that it serves no useful, worthwhile, or meaningful purpose?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2005, 09:15:51 AM »

No, but stores should not be harassed by video game producers for refusing to sell particular titles.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2005, 07:29:33 PM »

Yes.  All violent video games and video games with sexual content should be banned completely.

They are offensive and degrading, and they serve no useful, worthwhile, or meaningful purpose.

Fascist.

Subversive
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies