Write in Voting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:38:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Write in Voting
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Write in Voting  (Read 6129 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2004, 12:12:07 AM »

If I cast my vote for electors

George W. Bush President
Joeseph Lieberman Vice-President

Will my vote for Bush count?
ericadler
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 12:13:57 AM »

I'm half tempted to write in Joe Lieberman for president.  I'm really not that impressed with either candidate.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 12:16:13 AM »

I'm sure it depends on the state.  Does Florida require write-in candidates to register?  
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 12:16:55 AM »

I'm sure it depends on the state.  Does Florida require write-in candidates to register?  

I have no idea. I don't even know where to begin to look for that kind of information.
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 08:13:50 AM »

Generally speaking, most states have adopted the policy of counting write-in ballots only for registered write-in candidates.  These will typically be third party candidates that didn't make the ballot.  Florida has this rule.  If you wish to lodge a protest vote, I recommend against voting a write-in and instead voting for a third-party candidate.  Also, in Nevada, you have the option of choosing "None of these Candidates".
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 09:55:31 AM »

I went to www.votehillsborough.org and it said that Joe Lieberman was on registered (as well as all the democratic nominees) but was not yet qualified, as were none of the other candidates including George W. Bush. I guess they haven't gotten around to processing all the papers or are waiting for the conventions. The senate candidates are already qualified.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004, 01:19:19 PM »

Candidates have to be officially nominated by the parties that they represent to qualify.  For national candidates that happens at the conventions.  Even though both conventions are happening too late to qualify on most state ballots, the Democratic and Republican parties have given themselves wavers in every statee since one of thee two controls each state's government.  It would be funny to see none of the states with Democratic control give wavers to the Republicans; George Bush the Republican wouldn't even be on the ballot in those states.  Who controls each legislature anyways?

Nader is running without a party so he doesn't have to wait for a convention to get on the ballot although without a party organization to vouch for him he'll have a hell of a time finding enough signatures to get on the ballot.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies