Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 01:20:45 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  ILP Convention - Winter 2005
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: ILP Convention - Winter 2005  (Read 1208 times)
Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2005, 09:27:40 am »
Ignore

*bangs gavel repeatedly*

Welcome party members, to Baltimore, Maryland for the ILP Conference!
It is with great pleasure that I declare the conference open.
We shall, as usual, get around to motions relating to the party platform, the standing rules and, of course, endorsements.

However, first we shall have nominations for the three leadership positions within the party. Anyone wishing to put themselves forward for the positions of Party Chairman, Party Secretary or Party Deputy Secretary may do so here. I shall allow 48 hours for such nominations.

I should say that it is my intention at this time to seek to retain the chairmanship.

Thank you all, the floor is open to hear nominations.
*bangs gavel*

Funny 'cause it's true:
Very few people seriously allow facts to affect their opinions.

Peter
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 09:30:37 am »
Ignore

I will run for re-election to the Secretaryship.

Is it in order to begin introducing motions to amend the platform?

Retarded babies should be fed to crocodiles.
Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 09:34:35 am »
Ignore

Is it in order to begin introducing motions to amend the platform?

Yes, please feel free.

Funny 'cause it's true:

Peter
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 10:42:43 am »
Ignore

I motion to add the following to the Economics Section of the Platform:

Child Labor
The Independent Liberal Party fundamentally opposes the deregulation of child labor. We believe that the state should protect children by ensuring they do not work tiring hours, engage in hazardous labor or are exploited by unethical employers. We further believe that employment of children below 15 years of age should be prohibited with exception for paper round type jobs.

I'm willing to haggle over the exact details as ever.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 12:37:25 pm by Peter Bell »Logged

Pictor Ignotus
TCash101
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 11:32:14 am »
Ignore

Wow, this started quickly; it's great to be in Baltimore!

I intend to run as Deputy Secretary. Also, I support the Child Labor plank.

Renew our Democracy!
Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 07:53:20 am »
Ignore

I motion to add the following to the Economics Section of the Platform:

Child Labor
The Independent Liberal Party fundamentally opposes the deregulation of child labor. We believe that the state should protect children by ensuring they do not work tiring hours, engage in hazardous labor or are exploited by unethical employers. We further believe that employment of children below 15 years of age should be prohibited with exception for paper round type jobs.

I'm willing to haggle over the exact details as ever.

I would be willing to go below 15 to maybe 12/13, but place a cap on the number of hours which they should be allowed work per week (around 10-12?).

Funny 'cause it's true:

Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 12:26:48 pm »
Ignore

Reminder that there is under 24 hours left to submit nominations for any of the party leadership positions.

Funny 'cause it's true:

Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 10:59:58 am »
Ignore

Given that there are no leadership positions contested, I declare that the leadership committee shall remain unchanged. I congratulate Party Secretary Peter Bell and Party Deputy Secretary TCash on their re-election and look forward to continuing working with them. We shall get to endorsements for the forthcoming elections after the deadline for nominations has passed.

The floor remains open to motions to amend the party platform and standing rules, as well as for continued debate on the proposed child labor plank. I would urge members to contribute if only to pass comment on the motions before us.

Funny 'cause it's true:

Pictor Ignotus
TCash101
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 11:06:32 am »
Ignore

I prefer we leave the age at 15. I could support 14, I guess, but 12-13 is too young. "Tiring" hours should probably be specified. I could go with the maximum being more than 10-12, as Jas suggests, but would prefer a limit on how late they work on school nights. In other words, I could go with more than 10-12 hours per week if most of them are on the weekend.

Renew our Democracy!
Peter
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 12:06:06 pm »
Ignore

12 is probably too young for my tastes, I could just about accept 13, and would be happy with a comprimise at 14.

I apologise for the tediousness of the next motion, but I discovered a slight loophole in the Standing Rules that I wish to have corrected:

Section 1 (Membership), Clause 6 is hereby struck and replaced with:

The Leadership Committee may refuse to accept a citizen into the party within one week of their attempt to join by a majority vote.

My rationale is quite simple: I do not wish for any future Leadership Committee to attempt to expel a member by a 2-1 vote by invoking that clause, even though the person may have been a member for many months.

I now wish to provoke some controversy with another motion to amend the platform:

Legal Drinking Age
The Independent Liberal Party supports the right of all persons over the age of (X) years to buy alcohol and consume it in licensed premises. We further support the right of all persons over the age of (Y) years to consume alcohol on private property that is not open to the general public.

X will be decided on basis of a preferential vote, and I preliminarily enter the options of 14, 16, 18 and 21.

Y will also be decided on basis of a preferential vote, and I preliminarily enter the options of 5, 10, 12, 16, 18, 21.

There should obviously also be the option of rejecting the adoption of a plank on the topic altogether.

Personally, I will vote for X=16 and Y=10 or 12.

Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 12:20:16 pm »
Ignore

Child Labour: I would prefer 13 but would be fine at 14.

Member Rejection:: The proposal seems reasonable.

Legal Drinking Age: Personally I'd approve of X=15, Y=12.

Funny 'cause it's true:

Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 10:23:21 am »
Ignore

Am I to presume from the lack of comment that the three proposals are met with speechless admiration from the delegates?

Should the convention continue to lack any substantive discussion by tomorrow, I shall start PMing party members.

Just to make delegates aware, I plan on opening votes on the proposals by the end of the week (depending on contributions/debate) and opening endorsement votes the beginning of next week.

Thank you. The floor remains open to discussion of the proposals.
*bangs gavel so hard it breaks in two*

Funny 'cause it's true:

Pictor Ignotus
TCash101
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 12:48:46 am »
Ignore

Okay, sorry I'm late. Terrible stomach flu and the grading of persuasive essays have kept me away. I'd like to ask about the drinking age law and if it supercedes any parental rights laws. If we're letting 10 year olds drink, can a parent make them stop? If parental consent is a requisite, I could go as low as 10, otherwise, I'll probably stick at 16.

Renew our Democracy!
Ebowed
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -8.32, S: -9.30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2005, 12:51:52 am »
Ignore

Child Labor: 14

Drinking Age X: 18, Y: 16

A tidal wave of healthcare has swept across coal country. 
ian
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2005, 12:54:18 am »
Ignore

I just want to state my opinion that, though it's not so liberal, I support a 21-year-old age for both of the issues at hand.

WHY I'M A DEMOCRAT:
"People who wear Christ on their sleeves and vote against helping people are the biggest hypocrites." - Charlie Melancon, in response to the voting down of the Melancon Amendment to raise levee funding.

For my positions on political issues go to:
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=18844.msg405414#msg405414

Registered in Mississippi for fantasy politics.  RL resident of Arkansas.  Kentucky avatar for my fav state!
Pictor Ignotus
TCash101
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2005, 01:06:35 am »
Ignore

I just want to state my opinion that, though it's not so liberal, I support a 21-year-old age for both of the issues at hand.
Man, that's a buzzkill Wink

Renew our Democracy!
ian
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2005, 02:15:55 am »
Ignore

Man, that's a buzzkill Wink

Yeah, def.  Well, in RL I don't support lowering the drinking age because the more people there are drinking, the more drunk driving occurs.  Personally, I don't really care about the laws, as I drank underaged many-a-time, but I think 21 is a good standard age for drinking legally.

WHY I'M A DEMOCRAT:
"People who wear Christ on their sleeves and vote against helping people are the biggest hypocrites." - Charlie Melancon, in response to the voting down of the Melancon Amendment to raise levee funding.

For my positions on political issues go to:
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=18844.msg405414#msg405414

Registered in Mississippi for fantasy politics.  RL resident of Arkansas.  Kentucky avatar for my fav state!
Ebowed
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -8.32, S: -9.30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2005, 02:37:52 am »
Ignore

I view it as a grave inconsistency in our general lawmaking if one is able to die in combat for the country, but he is not legally able to consume alcohol; that is the reason I support lowering the drinking age.

A tidal wave of healthcare has swept across coal country. 
Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2005, 12:46:22 pm »
Ignore

Just to clarify, you are stating that you believe that 21 should be the minimum drinking age, regardless of supervision?
Could you also comment on why you feel that 21 is an appropriate age?

I've never really understood how this age has been maintained in many states, despite the right to work, drive, vote, join the armed forces etc. being below this. Personally I would prefer if their was a fairly consistent age of majority recognised across all these areas, preferably around 15/16.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 12:49:37 pm by Governor Jas »Logged

Funny 'cause it's true:

Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2005, 12:49:27 pm »
Ignore

It would also appear that a reasonable consensus exists for the child labor age to be reduced to 14. Would the Party Secretary accept this amendment to his proposal?

Funny 'cause it's true:

Peter
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2005, 01:03:19 pm »
Ignore

It would also appear that a reasonable consensus exists for the child labor age to be reduced to 14. Would the Party Secretary accept this amendment to his proposal?

Yes, I accept this as a friendly amendment.

Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2005, 12:07:32 pm »
Ignore

Voting is now open on the proposals discussed here.
The voting thread can be accessed here.
If any confusion exists, please make a note here and I or another party member will try and assist.

I should also note that I added an option of 14 to the 'Y' age selection in the proposal. If Pete objects, I shall not count it as a valid option in the final tally, and simply skip over the preferences for it.

Funny 'cause it's true:

Peter
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2005, 12:51:26 pm »
Ignore

I have no objection.

I will proceed to give a few thoughts on our endorsements:

District 1 - Whilst Boss Tweed has opted to run again for this seat, it is no longer "open" as it was before. I am happy with Texasgurl's service in the Senate, and see her often different opinions to be much needed in the Senate.

District 2 - Al has shown himself to be both a pragmatic Senator, and a pragmatic leader of the body as the new PPT. This is also a much needed in a body that too often can be dogged by idealist dogma. I urge his re-election.

District 3 - I like to think of this as the District of Awful Choices, because thats what it is. CheeseWhiz is obsessed with dismantling the government and pursuing an isolationist agenda. Whilst our party lacks much formal foreign policy, I seriously doubt if it is populated by isolationists. Our position on economic issues has always been a mixed one - whilst I do not believe that we should have government providing everything and anything, we do believe that there are legitimate uses for government in areas such as education.

J-Mann has been largely inactive to this point, and I somewhat suspect his candidacy was arranged simply to oppose CheeseWhiz. If he is able to beat CheeseWhiz, I somewhat wonder if the lack of reasons to keep him going will cause him to simply fade into the background much as FuturePrez did.

Opebo is Opebo. Whilst I would gain great entertainment from his victory, it would show only one thing - how truly awful the alternatives were.

In light of the party's platform, I can only realistically suggest endorsement of NOTA in this district.

[Continued later]
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 12:57:33 pm by Peter Bell »Logged

Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2005, 03:27:39 pm »
Ignore

District 1 - Whilst Boss Tweed has opted to run again for this seat, it is no longer "open" as it was before. I am happy with Texasgurl's service in the Senate, and see her often different opinions to be much needed in the Senate.

District 2 - Al has shown himself to be both a pragmatic Senator, and a pragmatic leader of the body as the new PPT. This is also a much needed in a body that too often can be dogged by idealist dogma. I urge his re-election.

I completely agree with the above.

District 3: CheeseWhiz v J-Mann v Opebo
This district is more difficult, especially so because it's my own constituency.  CW is someone I consider a friend whom I trust, but our politics are really quite divergent. I agree with the above tract on J-Mann. And while I'm sure Opebo would make an ... interesting Senator, I don't know if that's cause enough to vote for him. As of yet, I remain quite undecided.

District 4: Bono v Democratic Hawk
Unfortunately our esteemed member Senator Ebowed has decided to leave the Senate. This is certainly the legislature's loss, and while I look forward to Ebowed',s future in Atlasia, District 4 has an interesting choice to make. I believe that the candidate closest to the ILP politically in this race to suceed him is Democratic Hawk.

District 5: Gabu v Lewis Trondheim
While Gabu is of course a well respected, long-standing Senator whose politics could easily fit within out ranks, and will be strong favourite to be returned quickly to the Senate, I personally shall be endorsing Lewis, if only to note that I remain thankful to him for stepping into the breach for me when I needed to find a respectable and qualified Senator during the secession episode. During his brief tenure, he served well with substantive contributions to the important debates which were ongoing. I have no doubt he would make a fine Senator once again.

Funny 'cause it's true:

Pictor Ignotus
TCash101
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2005, 03:44:18 pm »
Ignore

I agree with all the analysis above, by Peter and Jas, except for District 5. I hope we will endorse Gabu for re-election; his politics fit with our party and he has a distinguished record of service. As with Texasgurl in D1, I do not see enough reason to urge the ouster of an incumbent, and long active senator.

Peter, I'd still like a little comment on the Lowering of the drinking age and if lowering it substantially abates any parental rights that exist. I suspect it has no effect on parental rights, but would like to be sure as I preference ages.

Renew our Democracy!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout