Should drinking outside be legal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:26:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should drinking outside be legal?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should drinking outside be legal?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Should drinking outside be legal?  (Read 2929 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 27, 2005, 02:05:52 PM »

By "outside" I mean on a street corner or sidewalk or some place that isn't private property.

I say yes. I've found it kind of interesting how one can not legally have a smoke and drink at the same time in my apartment, as smoking's not allowed inside, and because of the law, drinking alcohol is not allowed outside of the rooms. But I see no reason why it should be illegal for you to have a beer while walking off to some place you're going, or just outside your door, considering one can smoke in those locations, which spreads second hand smoke and smells disgusting. I'd much rather be waiting for a bus in a bus stop with a guy having a beer than a cigarette. And the problems caused by too much alcohol comsumption are no more problems if it's consumed outside. I've never understood why in most places it's illegal to consume alcohol outside of your residence, private property, or a bar/restaurant.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 02:26:41 PM »

Not on anything adjacent to a public highway. Allowing people to get drunk at the side of the road is inherently dangerous not only for the drinker but for the person who drives into them. True, they might well fall into the road walking back from the pub, but the total amount of time spent next to a road whilst drunk is reduced. Also there is the obvious problem of a beer bottle getting chucked onto a road, which isn't particularly good for my tyres.

It should however be legal to drink in public parks (presuming they aren't drunk and disorderly or criminal in some other way). It is technically illegal in the UK to drink in public parks; Now I might see the need to do this during the evenings/nights when kids generally congregate to get pissed on cheap cider, but I know of instances where people having wine with their picnic on a summer day have been caused problems by the authorities, which seems to me to be wholly unreasonable.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 05:49:40 PM »

As long as you cover the bottle or can with a paper sack then there is no problem.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 06:16:08 PM »

As long as you cover the bottle or can with a paper sack then there is no problem.

I'm not sure that is actually legal, but rather is an attempt at avoiding being caught.  Not familiar with this facet of the law, though.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 06:40:18 PM »

True, I have in fact drank outside before including right in front of cops, but it was always a rum/soda mixture inside the pop bottle. I have even done this in class before (although not in a very long time)
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 07:22:04 PM »

I would say yes, and the Constitution would back that up.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 07:23:08 PM »

I'm not sure I'd quite extend freedom of speech to "freedom to drink wherever you want"...
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 11:15:23 PM »

I'm not sure I'd quite extend freedom of speech to "freedom to drink wherever you want"...

They are making a political statement, Alcon.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 11:18:33 PM »

I'm not a Constitutional scholar (at all) but it seems kind of like anything that could be called a political statement would automatically be Constitutional.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 11:22:38 PM »

I'm not a Constitutional scholar (at all) but it seems kind of like anything that could be called a political statement would automatically be Constitutional.

We need A18 or Emsworth on this one.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 12:18:43 AM »

Yes, of course.  I see no reason why it is illegal in most jurisdictions at the moment.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 02:01:47 AM »

Drinking in public is fine, as long as the person is not piss drunk and a danger to others (by danger to others, I simply mean being drunk enough to wander in the street or harrass other passersby).

How you would legislate this, I don't really know, so I'm obliged to say just keep the law the way it is now. Too many grey areas of this issue.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 09:17:10 AM »

I say "no" if you are within 300 yard of a public school or youth center.  So, that basically screws everyone in the cities.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 01:01:03 PM »

I'd say "No", but if you wanted to do it on your lawn I wouldn't have a problem.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 01:38:56 PM »

No, it should be illegal on all public property.
Though I'd be willing to compromise if the law let you shoot drunkwards who were harrasing you.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 12:46:40 AM »

Absolutely not.

In fact, all alcoholic beverages should be eliminated from society altogether.  This would cut down considerably on cases of domestic violence, would reduce tremendously the cases of physical altercations between individuals, would eliminate drunk driving, would save companies and employers billions as abseentism would be dramatically reduced as employees would not be absent due to hangovers and other drinking related issues, would save billions in health care costs due to people leading a healthier lifestyle, students would be more alert and capable of learning.

People would be much healthier and better off without having alcohol to  impair the brain and damage the body.       
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 01:17:26 AM »

Wow, you seem to be the only extreme authoritarian who can even give Jake a run for his money.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2005, 01:53:05 AM »

Absolutely not.

In fact, all alcoholic beverages should be eliminated from society altogether.  This would cut down considerably on cases of domestic violence, would reduce tremendously the cases of physical altercations between individuals, would eliminate drunk driving, would save companies and employers billions as abseentism would be dramatically reduced as employees would not be absent due to hangovers and other drinking related issues, would save billions in health care costs due to people leading a healthier lifestyle, students would be more alert and capable of learning.

People would be much healthier and better off without having alcohol to  impair the brain and damage the body.       

Yes, because we saw it worked so well the first time it was banned.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2005, 09:09:26 AM »

I'd say "No", but if you wanted to do it on your lawn I wouldn't have a problem.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2005, 10:08:01 AM »

Absolutely not.

I would like you to please google the name "Al Capone."
The Constitarian
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2005, 10:09:32 AM »

Absolutely not, it is their right to drink and that right should not be imposed upon.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2005, 02:26:39 PM »

Absolutely not, it is their right to drink and that right should not be imposed upon.

Yes, so walking into govt buildings or down a busy street chugging a whiskey bottle is constitutional.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2005, 03:35:40 PM »

Yes, unless you're in my front yard and leaving your bottles and cans there, then no.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2005, 10:44:31 AM »
« Edited: December 01, 2005, 10:47:00 AM by Winfield »

Absolutely not.

Clearly, and in reality, it would be impractical, even impossible, to eliminate alcohol from society.  Even if I was a legislator, I would not even attmept to introduce legislation to have alcoholic comsumption banned.

But, at least, does anyone agree with any of the points I have raised, let's say, that if there was less alcoholic consumption, that there would be

Fewer incidents of domestic violence?
Fewer incidents of physical altercations?
Fewer incidents of drunk driving, thereby saving lives?
Less absenteeism in the work place, thereby saving employers lost time and wages?
Savings in health care costs?
Students would be better able to concentrate on their studies?

I would appreciate your feed back.  Thank you.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2005, 10:49:01 AM »

Once a year, my hometown rescinds the law so that people can drink outside...it's during our city fair time, and people make good use of drinking wherever they can: main street, back alleys, public parks...

It's a hell of a lot of fun, I'll give you that, but it always causes trouble.  I feel bad for the poor guy that got a whole six-pack of bottles smashed over his face this last year when the whole town got drunk and decided to brawl.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies