Bruce Almighty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:14:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bruce Almighty
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bruce Almighty  (Read 2238 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 28, 2005, 10:16:29 AM »

(Not much of a "debating" issue as more as an announcement of an upcoming project for which I believe to be a good cause.)

Ever since "escaping" the Moonlighting tv show, Bruce Willis has done nothing but impress me, both in television and in real life.  Unlike using his fame and tv access to stand there and rant about politics, he constantly travels the world visiting our troops, performing for them with his band, and sticking up for them whenever he can.  He is now taking his support for the troops to the next level:

"Bruce Willis comes out fighting for Iraq’s forgotten GI heroes"

ANGERED by negative portrayals of the conflict in Iraq, Bruce Willis, the Hollywood star, is to make a pro-war film in which American soldiers will be depicted as brave fighters for freedom and democracy.
It will be based on the exploits of the heavily decorated members of Deuce Four, the 1st Battalion, 24th Infantry, which has spent the past year battling insurgents in the northern Iraqi town of Mosul.

Willis attended Deuce Four’s homecoming ball this month in Seattle, Washington, where the soldiers are on leave, along with Stephen Eads, the producer of Armageddon and The Sixth Sense.

The 50-year-old actor said that he was in talks about a film of “these guys who do what they are asked to for very little money to defend and fight for what they consider to be freedom”.

Unlike many Hollywood stars Willis supports the war and recently offered a $1m (about £583,000) bounty for the capture of any of Al-Qaeda’s most wanted leaders such as Osama Bin Laden, Ayman Al-Zawahiri or Abu Musab al- Zarqawi, its commander in Iraq. Willis visited the war zone with his rock and blues band, the Accelerators, in 2003.

“I am baffled to understand why the things I saw happening in Iraq are not being reported,” he told MSNBC, the American news channel.

(cont.)
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 12:25:58 PM »

Good man.  Yes, this is a good thing.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 12:59:58 PM »

Sounds good, as long as it doesn't turn into propaganda like Black Hawk Down.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 02:52:57 PM »

Not that it has much to do with anything but I've heard that he's quite an asshole in real life.

I'll be interested to see his film. I hope it's thought provoking and not just "Die Hard: IRAQ PLAZA".
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 04:50:09 PM »

Ever since crowning his quite impressing 1990s career with "The Sixth Sense", Bruce Willis has done nothing but totally sink below my radar.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 04:52:11 PM »

His daughter will be 18 next year.  I wonder if he has encouraged her to join up and go over and fight.  I bet not.
Angel of Death
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 05:48:01 PM »

Ah yes, I was always wondering when "The Green Berets" would get its remake.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 05:52:02 PM »

His daughter will be 18 next year.  I wonder if he has encouraged her to join up and go over and fight.  I bet not.

Women do not belong in the military, prude.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 06:01:57 PM »

Women do not belong in the military, prude.

Yeah I got the feeling that you essentially belonged in Saudi Arabia from your women don't belong in congress crap. 

Couple questions:  Do you have a highschool diploma?  Do you have a bachelors degree?  Do you have graduate degree?  I'm going to guess that you never finished highschool and will eventually marry a woman whom you have no respect for and will have a miserable life because of it.

My woman can do anything I can do and surely more than you can.

PS I know a woman in Iraq right now.  A member of the national guard who is doing a million times more for the War effort that she doesn't even support than you ever have or ever will.  She wants to come home to her children and family.  How about you put your money where your mouth is and take her place? =)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 06:05:39 PM »

Jake is 16...
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 06:08:21 PM »

Danke Al. This fool obviously has not taken a peak at my profile or the majority of my posts because this is the second time he has quoted something about me in error (state residency and now age).
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 06:09:15 PM »

Danke Al. This fool obviously has not taken a peak at my profile or the majority of my posts because this is the second time he has quoted something about me in error (state residency and now age).

Your profile says you are 16
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 06:10:32 PM »

Yes it does.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 06:12:25 PM »

Aww now I feel bad about commenting on a child's lack of education. =(

Maybe he will grow up and learn to respect women as our equals... But I doubt it.

Jake:  What else should women not be allowed to do?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 06:20:24 PM »

Serve in the military is the biggest one, though I suppose according to situation, women could be barred from certain law enforcement positions for most of the same reasons. The Presidency should be a male job, simply because the effects of a female president would be a net negative, even without individual policies. Mostly, any job that requires interaction with superior men or that allow the embarassment or undermining of our nations place on the Earth.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 06:47:32 PM »

That is effing awesome!  I'm SO dragging my friends to see this movie when it comes out!  I CAN"T WAIT!  I adore the military...

Rin-chan
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 06:50:53 PM »

What does this really have to do with his daughter? I mean if there was a draft going on I'd get your point but just because Bruce Willis supports the war doesn't mean his family does. Ashton Kutcher (Bruce's daughter's step father) is a flaming liberal so it could go either way.

If you notice I didn't comment on the daughter.  I commented on whether Bruce encouraged his daughter to join up and go fight the war.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005, 06:57:54 PM »

What do these things have to do with education? My grandfather joined the Marine Corps. when he was 16 and was not racist nor was he sexist compared to the men in his age category.

Education has nothing to do with the military.  Two separate issues.  The education comments were linked to Jake's sexist comments about women not serving in congress and in the military.

The military comments were directed toward the fact that he says that women should not be allowed to serve their country while it would be IMPOSSIBLE to fight the war in Iraq without women.  I have no respect for chickenhawks but I have less respect for chickenhawks who want to prevent those who do want to serve from doing so.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2005, 07:22:14 PM »

Serve in the military is the biggest one, though I suppose according to situation, women could be barred from certain law enforcement positions for most of the same reasons. The Presidency should be a male job, simply because the effects of a female president would be a net negative, even without individual policies.

No women in the military, politics, or law enforcement.  Check.

What about religious leaders?
What about academic leaders?
What about business leaders?
What about medicine?
What about law?
What about atheletics?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So you're saying that men are superior to women?

What happens if it is proven that you are inferior to a women in EVERY possible regard?  Will your life be worth living knowing that you are less than a woman?

Do your parents treat each other as equals?  Does your father abuse your mother?  Do you really want to spend the rest of your life with someone who isn't your equal?

To me it screams homosexuality when someone believes their sex superior to the opposite sex.

PS:  My girl (reading over my shoulder) says that her equal would be able to spell "embarrassment" correctly.  Though I can't spell either so I won't comment on that. =)
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2005, 07:24:14 PM »

Probably not, since it's a volunteer army and entirely her choice.  There's a difference between encouraging those who are fighting and encouraging others to fight.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2005, 07:24:20 PM »

You seemed to indicate that there is a direct link between sexism and education. While it might have some impact on whether a person is sexist or not it certainly is not the only or even the biggest factor.

I would greatly disagree with that expecially from someone of Jake's generation.  Infact I'd wager dollars to doughnuts that Jake is or was homeschooled.  =)
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2005, 07:29:37 PM »

Probably not, since it's a volunteer army and entirely her choice.  There's a difference between encouraging those who are fighting and encouraging others to fight.

Yep because attacking dissent is a lot easier than encouraging your child to do what you feel is the right thing to do.  If he hasn't encouraged his own child to put her life on the line than I see no reason why anyone should respect his call for others to have their lives put on the line for a lie.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2005, 07:36:06 PM »

(Not much of a "debating" issue as more as an announcement of an upcoming project for which I believe to be a good cause.)

Ever since "escaping" the Moonlighting tv show, Bruce Willis has done nothing but impress me, both in television and in real life.  Unlike using his fame and tv access to stand there and rant about politics, he constantly travels the world visiting our troops, performing for them with his band, and sticking up for them whenever he can.  He is now taking his support for the troops to the next level:

"Bruce Willis comes out fighting for Iraq’s forgotten GI heroes"

ANGERED by negative portrayals of the conflict in Iraq, Bruce Willis, the Hollywood star, is to make a pro-war film in which American soldiers will be depicted as brave fighters for freedom and democracy.
It will be based on the exploits of the heavily decorated members of Deuce Four, the 1st Battalion, 24th Infantry, which has spent the past year battling insurgents in the northern Iraqi town of Mosul.

Willis attended Deuce Four’s homecoming ball this month in Seattle, Washington, where the soldiers are on leave, along with Stephen Eads, the producer of Armageddon and The Sixth Sense.

The 50-year-old actor said that he was in talks about a film of “these guys who do what they are asked to for very little money to defend and fight for what they consider to be freedom”.

Unlike many Hollywood stars Willis supports the war and recently offered a $1m (about £583,000) bounty for the capture of any of Al-Qaeda’s most wanted leaders such as Osama Bin Laden, Ayman Al-Zawahiri or Abu Musab al- Zarqawi, its commander in Iraq. Willis visited the war zone with his rock and blues band, the Accelerators, in 2003.

“I am baffled to understand why the things I saw happening in Iraq are not being reported,” he told MSNBC, the American news channel.

(cont.)

Good!  It is a pity we don't have more actors like him in Hollywood. 
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2005, 07:36:29 PM »

Yep because attacking dissent is a lot easier than encouraging your child to do what you feel is the right thing to do.  If he hasn't encouraged his own child to put her life on the line than I see no reason why anyone should respect his call for others to have their lives put on the line for a lie.

I don't necessarily read it that Willis is out encouraging others to join up; he's asking for a more positive interpretation of the troops, and I don't see any harm in that.

This is a typical cheapshot, right along the lines of, "Why didn't Bush send his daughters to Iraq?"  He can't send his daughters anywhere; joining the military is their choice, and in most circumstances, there's no more precious right than that.

Bruce Willis hasn't become a recruiter -- he's asking for a little more light to be shown on the personal bravery of our troops, who are more and more often getting short shrift with debates about the war focused in the halls of power. 

I can support military action without prodding my child to participate, because I recognize and respect him as an individual who has his own choices to make.  Those soldiers fighting in Iraq -- they already made their choices and they knew what the possibilities were.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2005, 07:39:58 PM »
« Edited: November 28, 2005, 07:43:09 PM by Progress »

You know I was homeschooled K-12. I have a 3.87 GPA. I was the Treasuer/Secretary of the College Republicans on my campus and I am the President of the Pre-Law Society on campus. And, I am not racist or sexist.
Well congrats on the GPA; got me beat my undergrad GPA was 3.8 flat though it was righted in grad school. =) May I ask where you go to university?  Where are you looking at law schools?  You didn't find it difficult to get into a major college without at least two years of formal schooling?  I'm a school teacher and get homeschool kids all the time in my AP classes who come in for 2 years just because no decent school will accept them without it.  A lot of them are very bright and very knowledgeable but almost universally lack any type of social skills and are often inculcated with beliefs straight out of the 13th century such as Jake's sexism though I guess even in the 13th century there were female heads of state...
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Not a stereotype at all.  Just personal experience dealing with two or three home schooled children every year who come in spouting the barefoot and cooking crap.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies