Bruce Almighty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:04:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bruce Almighty
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Bruce Almighty  (Read 2241 times)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2005, 07:45:16 PM »

I would greatly disagree with that expecially from someone of Jake's generation.  Infact I'd wager dollars to doughnuts that Jake is or was homeschooled.  =)

Striking out again on something I posted about yesterday.

I like Krispy Kremes BTW

Do your parents treat each other as equals? 

More than most do. The dominant male is very much gone in the world.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Every night. Of course, anyone who opposes women in the military had abusive fathers.

So we're turning this into me saying women are unequal or not fit to friends with. That's humorous if it, again, didn't show gross stereotyping.

To me it screams fool when you post.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2005, 07:55:44 PM »

I don't necessarily read it that Willis is out encouraging others to join up; he's asking for a more positive interpretation of the troops, and I don't see any harm in that.
Comes off to me as "oh look Iraq is so great stop being critical of the war."  Though I fully admit I may be wrong here.
It isn't a cheap shot.  What it is is asking someone who feels that the war in Iraq is a great thing to put their money where their mouth is.  My great grand parents encouraged my grand father to join up.  My grandfather encouraged my father and uncles to join up and fight in Vietnam.  If you believe in the cause you would encourage your children to support that cause.  It is no different than any other aspect of passing your values system on to your children.  Assuming there isn't an insane warmonger running the show I will encourage my children (both boys and girls =) to join the military because I feel it is the strongest way that a person can give back to their country.  I can't imagine someone who supports a cause so greatly yet won't encourage their own children to do so.
Well I am all for showing the personal bravery of our troops yet to me it surely doesn't sound as if that is the mission.  To me it sounds like trying to justify an insane and illegal war.
Well I doubt most of them thought they would be sent into a war of aggression against a country that was no threat to the United States.  But no I don't think you can really support military action in a country with a volunteer military without enlisting or encouraging your loved ones to do so when you are unable.  If you really think that the war in Iraq is protecting America and spreading freedom and democracy and you don't enlist what you are really saying is that while you agree with those lofty goals you are unwilling to personally sacrifice to see them achieved.  And to me that is the height of hypocrisy.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2005, 08:02:01 PM »
« Edited: November 28, 2005, 08:04:21 PM by MODU »

What does this really have to do with his daughter? I mean if there was a draft going on I'd get your point but just because Bruce Willis supports the war doesn't mean his family does. Ashton Kutcher (Bruce's daughter's step father) is a flaming liberal so it could go either way.

If you notice I didn't comment on the daughter.  I commented on whether Bruce encouraged his daughter to join up and go fight the war.

If his daughter is interested in joining, I'm sure he will support her.  I highly doubt he will push her to join though, just like my parents (or most parents) didn't.

I don't necessarily read it that Willis is out encouraging others to join up; he's asking for a more positive interpretation of the troops, and I don't see any harm in that.
Comes off to me as "oh look Iraq is so great stop being critical of the war."  Though I fully admit I may be wrong here.

Looks like we are reading different articles then.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2005, 08:42:10 PM »

If his daughter is interested in joining, I'm sure he will support her.  I highly doubt he will push her to join though, just like my parents (or most parents) didn't.

Well it surely was instilled in me that if something is worth other people laying down their lives for it is worth me doing the same.

Looks like we are reading different articles then.

Actually I base my opinion on him standing on a USO stage in Tele'fur blaming everything on the "liberal media" at home.  Don't get me wrong I appreciate him coming out with his band and all that but to pretend that the reason guys are dieing is because people are back at home criticizing the war at a time when in reality there was ALMOST NO CRITIZISIM of the war?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2005, 11:19:35 PM »

Actually I base my opinion on him standing on a USO stage in Tele'fur blaming everything on the "liberal media" at home.  Don't get me wrong I appreciate him coming out with his band and all that but to pretend that the reason guys are dieing is because people are back at home criticizing the war at a time when in reality there was ALMOST NO CRITIZISIM of the war?

(Ugh, don't you hate it when you type something, accidentally hit a key, and lose all that you typed when you return to the page you were on?  *sigh*  Here we go again.)

Bruce Willis' comments from Telafar in September 2003:

"We're here to support you," Willis told the soldiers. "If you catch him, just give me four seconds with Saddam Hussein."

"Peculiar thing back home is that the liberal media was trying to portray it as a bad war," said Willis, noting that with elections coming up, "obviously they (politicians) are trying to grind their axes, get elected and trying to portray the war as unpopular."

"But being over here just a couple of days, seeing how well our troops and the allied troops are being received here, (I) think the Iraqi people are happy we're here. Children are being taken care of, starting being inoculated, starting being looked after," said Willis. "Wherever these guys go they get thumbs up. They no longer have to contend with the terrorist leader."

Nothing wrong in what he said.  He wasn't pretending anything.  He was stating that Democrats and the media had begun putting down the war, and that he, and many Americans, still support the troops, dispite what others say.  In 2003, you had the beginning of the war, but you also had the beginning of the anti-war movement.  This is how Howard Dean gained his popularity during the Democratic primaries was through his antiwar stance.  Even Kerry, Gebhardt, and Lieberman were throwing punches at Dean since they were still trying to ride the pro-war momentum.  Daschle, Dean, Moran, and other Democrats had begun speaking out against the war, from topics on the armor for the troops (overhyped but well sold in the media), Uranium line from the state of the union address, and even the war wouldn't be occurring if it wasn't for the Jews (Moran, leading to his dismisal as Minority whip).

GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2005, 12:43:04 AM »

"Peculiar thing back home is that the liberal media was trying to portray it as a bad war," said Willis, noting that with elections coming up, "obviously they (politicians) are trying to grind their axes, get elected and trying to portray the war as unpopular."

Yep see you made the same logical fallicy that not supporting the war = not supporting the troops.  Additionally he made the logical fallicy that "the liberal media was trying to portray it as a bad war."  Anyone who seriously thinks there was even a balanced portrayal of the war before Katrina is delusional.  It was pro war up and down the cable channels.  Remember what happened to Donahue when he spoke against the war?

Gephardt maybe.  Kerry definately.  But Joe is a true believer.  This is his war as much as anyone.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2005, 08:10:39 AM »

Yep see you made the same logical fallicy that not supporting the war = not supporting the troops.  Additionally he made the logical fallicy that "the liberal media was trying to portray it as a bad war."  Anyone who seriously thinks there was even a balanced portrayal of the war before Katrina is delusional.  It was pro war up and down the cable channels.  Remember what happened to Donahue when he spoke against the war?

Nope, I don't think you are reading it the way that someone as I or others who have been in the military have, and that might just be due to lack of exposure on your behalf.  While it is true that support for the war and support for the troops are technically two separate concepts, they are meshed together in reality.  So while one can say "I support the troops, but we are in a wrong war," the troops receive that as saying you don't appriciate what they are trying to accomplish.  Willis was saying to the troops that the chatter they were reading and hearing from the states from the politicians at that time was campaign rhetoric, and that the people (since the people are so much more important than any politician) were still with them, and not to lose faith in their task.

Gephardt maybe.  Kerry definately.  But Joe is a true believer.  This is his war as much as anyone.
[/quote]

I don't think you read what I had posted correctly.  Gephardt, Kerry, and Joe were attaching Dean, since Dean was the antiwar candidate at that time.  Of those three, Joementum is the only one who has stuck with his original position on the war.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2005, 08:17:21 AM »

Anyone who seriously thinks there was even a balanced portrayal of the war before Katrina is delusional.  It was pro war up and down the cable channels.

Plus, this is completely based on opinion and how you personally view and interpret news coverage.  There are plenty of people on this forum who will make the exact opposite claim; it's not based on any fact, just one person's interpretation of television news.  Without any sort of factual study to back you up, I doubt you (or many others on this forum) are qualified to make the firm statement that the news was slanted in any direction.  True analysis of such a claim requires a lot of attention and study, not just passive news-watching.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies