Free Speech, Texas v. Johnson
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:45:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Free Speech, Texas v. Johnson
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: The ruling was...
Constitutionally sound

Constitutionally unsound

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Free Speech, Texas v. Johnson  (Read 11360 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 29, 2005, 07:42:27 AM »

Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397 (1989)

During the 1984 Republican National Convention in Dallas, Texas, respondent Johnson participated in a political demonstration to protest the policies of the Reagan administration and some Dallas-based corporations. After a march through the city streets, Johnson burned an American flag while protesters chanted. No one was physically injured or threatened with injury, although several witnesses were seriously offended by the flag burning. Johnson was convicted of desecration of a venerated object in violation of a Texas statute, and a State Court of Appeals affirmed. However, the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals reversed, holding that the State, consistent with the First Amendment, could not punish Johnson for burning the flag in these circumstances. The court first found that Johnson's burning of the flag was expressive conduct protected by the First Amendment. The court concluded that the State could not criminally sanction flag desecration in order to preserve the flag as a symbol of national unity. It also held that the statute did not meet the State's goal of preventing breaches of the peace, since it was not drawn narrowly enough to encompass only those flag burnings that would likely result in a serious disturbance, and since the flag burning in this case did not threaten such a reaction. Further, it stressed that another Texas statute prohibited breaches of the peace and could be used to prevent disturbances without punishing this flag desecration.

Held: Johnson's conviction for flag desecration is inconsistent with the First Amendment.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 10:54:49 AM »

right decision.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 10:58:34 AM »

I didn't ask if you thought it was the right decision. I asked if it was constitutionally sound. I realize that in your case, there's a big difference between those two.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 11:01:35 AM »

It was constitutionally sound as well. If flag burning is not protected by the first amendment, neither is burning an effigy.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 11:04:08 AM »

One of the points Scalia made during the oral argument was that there was no coherent distinction between burning the American flag, burning a copy of the Constitution, burning the Texas flag, or burning the state flower.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 04:32:54 PM »

Constitutionally sound.

The public burning of objects--whether flags or anything else--might in certain circumstances be prohibited for environmental reasons. However, the purpose of the Texas statute was obviously not to protect against pollution. It was to repress the burning of a specific object due to its symbolic value. This regulation of speech is inconsistent with the First Amendment.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 09:17:16 PM »

Sound, I still like Rehnquist's dissent though: (paraphrase) "There's no essential difference between flag burning and an inarticulate grunt, not used to express any particular idea, but to antagonize others"

I am curious though, was the intent on protesting Reagan or was it to antagonize?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 01:53:39 AM »

The Pledge of Allegiance should be replaced in schools with a morning flag burning.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 10:47:13 PM »

The Pledge of Allegiance should be replaced in schools with a morning flag burning.

grow up
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 09:50:44 AM »

grow up

That would be impossible.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 11:54:28 AM »

grow up

Sad thing, he used to be a rather good poster.  Not that he was ever 100% libertarian or anything, but he didn't provoke people like he does now.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 12:03:46 PM »

Apparently your tongue-in-cheek detectors seem to be faulty, guys.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 12:06:42 PM »

lol
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 07:01:46 AM »

he used to be a rather good poster.  Not that he was ever 100% libertarian or anything

Because that's how we determine poster quality.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 10:20:29 AM »

grow up

Sad thing, he used to be a rather good poster.  Not that he was ever 100% libertarian or anything, but he didn't provoke people like he does now.

Duh. He's a total pos now.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 03:52:34 PM »

I agree that that would be certainly preferable - though doing neither still beats it hands down.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 08:55:44 PM »

I agree that that would be certainly preferable - though doing neither still beats it hands down.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 08:08:35 PM »

Sound.  No one was injured, and if the Court upheld "F**ck the Draft", then it should uphold this.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 08:31:56 PM »

Completely sound. If it wasn't there would be no reactionaries looking for a flag-burning amendment.

But that would create more greenhouse gases.
Senator Robert A. Taft
Mr. Republican
Rookie
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 04:34:27 PM »

Constitutionally sound decision.  Flag burning is 100% protected under the First Amendment.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 07:33:17 PM »

Constitutionally sound.

The public burning of objects--whether flags or anything else--might in certain circumstances be prohibited for environmental reasons. However, the purpose of the Texas statute was obviously not to protect against pollution. It was to repress the burning of a specific object due to its symbolic value. This regulation of speech is inconsistent with the First Amendment.

^^^^^^^

And the act of burning a flag is not even the most atrocious act protected under free speech.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 01:15:01 AM »

Flag burning is free speech. Plus, if it's really cold outside and you need to start a fire......
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 07:08:05 AM »

sound. 

I don't care if you burn a flag.  Sometimes you'll run into "public burning" laws or something.  If I can't burn my leaves in the street, why can I burn a flag?  Probably not very good for the environment either.  Also, if you steal a flag to burn you should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.  Past that, knock yourself out.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 11:51:34 AM »

The question is somewhat absurd, but obviously I support flag burning and a court which allows it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies