Atlasian Sovereignty Restoration Act (Withdrawn)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:52:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian Sovereignty Restoration Act (Withdrawn)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Atlasian Sovereignty Restoration Act (Withdrawn)  (Read 3721 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 30, 2005, 06:25:11 PM »
« edited: December 04, 2005, 07:56:05 AM by Senator Al, PPT »

As introduced by Senator Ebowed.

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Atlasian Sovereignty Restoration Act'.

SEC. 2. REPEAL OF UNITED NATIONS PARTICIPATION ACT.

(a) REPEAL- The United Nations Participation Act of 1945 (Public Law 79-264, 22 U.S.C. 287-287e) is repealed.

(b) TERMINATION OF PARTICIPATION IN UNITED NATIONS- The President shall terminate all participation by Atlasia in the United Nations, and any organ, specialized agency, commission, or other formally affiliated body of the United Nations.

(c) CLOSURE OF ATLASIAN MISSION TO UNITED NATIONS- The Atlasian Mission to the United Nations is closed. Any remaining functions of such office shall not be carried out.

SEC. 3. REPEAL OF UNITED NATIONS HEADQUARTERS AGREEMENT ACT.

(a) REPEAL- The United Nations Headquarters Agreement Act (Public Law 80-357) is repealed.

(b) WITHDRAWAL- Atlasia withdraws from the agreement between the Atlasia and the United Nations regarding the headquarters of the United Nations (signed at Lake Success, New York, on June 26, 1947, which was brought into effect by the United Nations Headquarters Agreement Act).

SEC. 4. ATLASIAN ASSESSED AND VOLUNTARY CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE UNITED NATIONS.

(a) TERMINATION- No funds are authorized to be appropriated or otherwise made available for assessed or voluntary contributions of Atlasia to the United Nations or any organ, specialized agency, commission or other formally affiliated body thereof, except that funds may be appropriated to facilitate withdrawal of Atlasian personnel and equipment. Upon termination of Atlasian membership, no payments shall be made to the United Nations or any organ, specialized agency, commission or other formally affiliated body thereof, out of any funds appropriated prior to such termination or out of any other funds available for such purposes.

(b) APPLICATION- The provisions of this section shall apply to all agencies of the United Nations, including independent or voluntary agencies.

SEC. 5. UNITED NATIONS PEACEKEEPING OPERATIONS.

(a) TERMINATION- No funds are authorized to be appropriated or otherwise made available for any Atlasian contribution to any United Nations military operation.

(b) TERMINATIONS OF ATLASIAN PARTICIPATION IN UNITED NATIONS PEACEKEEPING OPERATIONS- No funds may be obligated or expended to support the participation of any member of the Armed Forces of the Atlasia as part of any United Nations military or peacekeeping operation or force. No member of the Armed Forces of Atlasia may serve under the command of the United Nations.

SEC. 6. WITHDRAWAL OF UNITED NATIONS PRESENCE IN FACILITIES OF THE GOVERNMENT OF ATLASIA AND REPEAL OF DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY.

(a) WITHDRAWAL FROM ATLASIAN GOVERNMENT PROPERTY- The United Nations (including any affiliated agency of the United Nations) shall not occupy or use any property or facility of the Atlasian Government.

(b) DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY- No officer or employee of the United Nations or any representative, officer, or employee of any mission to the United Nations of any foreign government shall be entitled to enjoy the privileges and immunities of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations of April 18, 1961, nor may any such privileges and immunities be extended to any such individual. The privileges, exemptions and immunities provided for in the International Organizations Immunities Act of December 29, 1945 (59 Stat. 669; 22 U.S.C. 288, 288a-f), or in any agreement or treaty to which the United States is a party, including the agreement entitled `Agreement Between the United Nations and the United States of America Regarding the Headquarters of the United Nations', signed June 26, 1947 (22 U.S.C. 287), and the Convention on Privileges and Immunities of the United Nations, entered into force with respect to the United States on April 29, 1970, (21 UST 1418; TIAS 6900; UNTS 16), shall not apply to the United Nations or any organ, specialized agency, commission or other formally affiliated body thereof, to the officers and employees of the United Nations, or any organ, specialized agency, commission or other formally affiliated body thereof, or to the families, suites or servants of such officers or employees.

SEC. 7. REPEAL OF UNITED NATIONS EDUCATIONAL, SCIENTIFIC, AND CULTURAL ORGANIZATION ACT.

The joint resolution entitled `A joint resolution providing for membership and participation by Atlasia in the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization, and authorizing an appropriation therefor' approved July 30, 1946 (Public Law 79-565, 22 U.S.C. 287m-287t), is repealed.

SEC. 8. REPEAL OF UNITED NATIONS ENVIRONMENT PROGRAM PARTICIPATION ACT OF 1973.

The United Nations Environment Program Participation Act of 1973 (22 U.S.C. 287 note) is repealed.

SEC. 9. REPEAL OF ATLASIAN PARTICIPATION IN THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION.

The joint resolution entitled `Joint Resolution providing for membership and participation by the United States in the World Health Organization and authorizing an appropriation therefor,' approved July 14, 1948 (22 U.S.C. 290, 290a-e-1) is repealed.

SEC. 10. REPEAL OF INVOLVEMENT IN UNITED NATIONS CONVENTIONS AND AGREEMENTS.

As of the date of the enactment of this Act, Atlasia will end any and all participation in any and all conventions and/or agreements with the United Nations and any organ, specialized agency, commission, or other formally affiliated body of the United Nations. Any remaining functions of such conventions and/or agreements shall not be carried out.

SEC. 11. REEMPLOYMENT WITH ATLASIAN GOVERNMENT AFTER SERVICE WITH AN INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION.

Nothing in this Act shall be construed to affect the rights of employees under subchapter IV of chapter 35 of title 5, United States Code, relating to reemployment after service with an international organization.

SEC. 12. NOTIFICATION.

Effective on the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary of State shall notify the United Nations and any organ, specialized agency, commission, or other formally affiliated body of the United Nations of the provisions of this Act.

SEC. 13. EFFECTIVE DATE.

Except as otherwise provided, this Act and the amendments made by this Act shall take effect 1 years after the date of the enactment of this Act.

-----
I hereby open debate on this bill
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 06:56:47 PM »

HAHA
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 07:11:19 PM »

Getting out of the UN is a good idea. I'll be voting for this unless there is anything seriously wrong with it.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 07:13:48 PM »

DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY- No officer or employee of the United Nations or any representative, officer, or employee of any mission to the United Nations of any foreign government shall be entitled to enjoy the privileges and immunities of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations of April 18, 1961, nor may any such privileges and immunities be extended to any such individual.

You may want to read the whole thing carefully.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 08:13:53 PM »

pre-emptive nay. No need for debate. My vote is confirmed, locked in, iron-clad, complete. Nay.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 08:17:43 PM »

That is an apalling piece of legislation and I hope my representatives will vote against this bill. The people of Atlasia wish UN reform not withdrawal from the forum of nations.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 09:57:53 PM »

I urge all Senators to reject this.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 10:05:20 PM »

Don't like the UN?  I can sympathize with that.  Wanna reform the UN?  Sure, I can support that.  But outright withdrawal?  I can't support that.  In today's global world, it would be disasterous in more ways than one for there to be an international organization and for Atlasia not to be a part of it.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 10:25:15 PM »

Is there a reject option for the Senate or PPT to use here?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 10:27:58 PM »

Is there a reject option for the Senate or PPT to use here?

I believe you can table it.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 10:28:48 PM »

How can I table it?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 10:33:40 PM »

Just motion.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 11:10:08 PM »

The best case scenario I can see, unless Colin returns, is a tie vote and the Vice President votes against.  I'd rather not have it tabled, so I'll just withdraw.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 12:44:09 AM »

I support this bill and believe this is an appropriate name.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 01:00:58 AM »

Bad timing, Mr. Secretary.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 01:17:58 AM »

Bad timing, Mr. Secretary.
I was unable to check the forum for the past day or so and just wanted to give my two cents.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 01:41:43 AM »

This seems more like isolation than sovereignty and I hope Gabu and Hugh will vote no.

Fear not, we both appear to be solidly against this.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005, 07:06:41 AM »

I think he's already withdrawn this now anyway.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2005, 10:01:23 AM »

I'm glad to see this has now been withdrawn, as I intended to veto it anyway.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2005, 10:05:46 AM »

The best case scenario I can see, unless Colin returns, is a tie vote and the Vice President votes against.  I'd rather not have it tabled, so I'll just withdraw.

Sad Maybe if Bono and I get elected Cheesy

Seriously, though, what exactly do we get out of being part of the U.N.?  This isn't meant to be rhetorical, I'm just really bad at Foriegn Policy Tongue
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2005, 10:34:51 AM »

It's more a question of what would be the effect of NOT being in it then what is the effect of being in it.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2005, 11:14:57 AM »

Hey Al, this has been withdrawn by Ebowed (pretty sure) so can we get a new bill on the floor?
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2005, 11:26:51 AM »

It's more a question of what would be the effect of NOT being in it then what is the effect of being in it.

Okay...  Then will you answer what would be the effect of not being in the U.N.?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2005, 11:37:03 AM »

short answer: Atlasia already isn't terribly well liked.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2005, 12:09:56 PM »

short answer: Atlasia already isn't terribly well liked.

Okay...  I still don't understand.  Getting out of the U.N. will make the world hate us more?  For what reason?  I'm sorry if my questions are getting tiresome, but I'd really like to understand why we need the U.N.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies