Statehood for DC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:04:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Statehood for DC
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Statehood for DC  (Read 3497 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2004, 12:08:12 AM »

I'm wondering, does any Republican have a valid reason to deny DC statehood? Aka, a reason that isn't partisan? It seems the only reason DC is denied the full representation they deserve is everyone knows there is no way if they were giving a voting representative and two senators that any of those seats would ever be held by a Republican. So give me a good non-partisan reason to not lift the residents of DC from their taxation without representation.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 12:13:22 AM »

I'm wondering, does any Republican have a valid reason to deny DC statehood? Aka, a reason that isn't partisan? It seems the only reason DC is denied the full representation they deserve is everyone knows there is no way if they were giving a voting representative and two senators that any of those seats would ever be held by a Republican. So give me a good non-partisan reason to not lift the residents of DC from their taxation without representation.

Um....maybe because the whole point of having a specifically set aside Federal District is that so no state would have the capital city?  The Constitution was created with this in mind, so that all the states would be equal members of the union in that respect.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 12:30:08 AM »

I don't see how that would give any state an advantage.
But then give DC full representation without actual statehood. That doesn't give any state an advantage.

if they don't have representation, residents of DC should be exempt from federal taxes.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 12:50:56 AM »

It would be unconstitutional for DC to become a state as the land it is on belongs to Maryland. "No state shall be created out of another state or territory."
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 12:53:09 AM »

It would be unconstitutional for DC to become a state as the land it is on belongs to Maryland. "No state shall be created out of another state or territory."

Unless they got Maryland's permission, of course.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 01:29:22 AM »

The part of DC that was in Virginia was given back to Virginia so anything is possible. If anything it will become a city of MD though it will never happen. I know MD is about crazy now but they aren't THAT crazy
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 07:41:08 AM »

The part of DC that was in Virginia was given back to Virginia so anything is possible. If anything it will become a city of MD though it will never happen. I know MD is about crazy now but they aren't THAT crazy

The federal government is not required to have a District, so they could give DC to MD. The federal facilities would still be under federal control just as the many facilities in suburban MD and VA are today.

However, I suspect that keeping the facilities alone would not really work politically. I think the best solution would be to keep the District, but grant its residents voting rights as residents of MD for Congress.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 02:03:57 PM »

It is a district, not a state.
Blerpiez
blerpiez

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 02:06:32 PM »

What about West Virginia and Maine and Vermont?
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2004, 02:14:39 PM »

No. It's a federal, national district. If it swings one way, that makes the united states' identity as that way.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2004, 02:28:12 PM »

Give it to Maryland, if they will take it
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2004, 02:55:50 PM »

Make it its own state!  We could use two more libs in the senate.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2004, 03:25:40 PM »

The original constitution states that taxes should pass through the states to go to the IRS.  Since there is no state government in DC to forward federal taxes, is would have been unconstitutional for DC residents to pay federal income tax.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2004, 03:48:27 PM »

The original constitution states that taxes should pass through the states to go to the IRS.  Since there is no state government in DC to forward federal taxes, is would have been unconstitutional for DC residents to pay federal income tax.

The consitution says nothing of the sort.  The IRS isn't even mentioned.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2004, 04:14:33 PM »

I would go along with statehood for D.C. if we could have a few more Republican states to balance it out.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2004, 06:07:06 PM »

As I said before, give the land back to Maryland.  There is no reason for the district to even exist anymore.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2004, 06:56:58 PM »

The consitution says nothing of the sort.  The IRS isn't even mentioned.

I meant the treasury, sorry I wasn't thinking properly.  But the original, constitutional method of taxation provided for the District to be tax-free.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2004, 08:32:03 PM »

As I said before, give the land back to Maryland.  There is no reason for the district to even exist anymore.

Yes, that's also what I said before too, the last time I commented on this issue. I'll add the caveat that if they aren't absorbed into Maryland, then make them a tax-free zone.

Speaking of Maryland, from http://thomas.loc.gov/
----------------------------------------------------------
H.R.3709
District of Columbia Voting Rights Restoration Act of 2004 (Introduced in House)
Sponsor: Rep Rohrabacher, Dana [CA-46] (introduced 1/20/2004)      Cosponsors: (none)
Latest Major Action: 3/1/2004 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on the Constitution.
SUMMARY AS OF:
1/20/2004--Introduced.

District of Columbia Voting Rights Restoration Act of 2004 - Restores the right of District of Columbia residents to participate as Maryland residents in congressional elections and presidential elections.

Repeals provisions of the: (1) District of Columbia Delegate Act that establishes the office of District of Columbia Delegate to the House of Representatives; and (2) District of Columbia Statehood Constitution Convention Initiative of 1979 that provides for electing a Senator and Representative for the District.
----------------------------------------------------------

And as for the originator of this topic, whatever-his-name-happens-to-be-at-the-moment, what rationale other than Democratic/liberal partisanship is there for NOT giving them voting rights in Maryland?
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2004, 09:57:48 PM »

Exactly!

I would go along with statehood for D.C. if we could have a few more Republican states to balance it out.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2004, 09:59:44 PM »

Exactly!

Make a state out of West Texas in that event and everything will balance out nicely.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2004, 10:01:08 PM »

DC isn't big enough, IMO

Perhaps allowing them representation in the House only would be a good compromise.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2004, 10:04:14 PM »

DC isn't big enough, IMO

Perhaps allowing them representation in the House only would be a good compromise.

I agree. Haven't others on this forum indicated that moving the people of DC into Maryland would create the equivalent of one new Congressional District? That might also fulfill the terms of your compromise...
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2004, 10:14:58 PM »

DC isn't big enough, IMO

I agree. Haven't others on this forum indicated that moving the people of DC into Maryland would create the equivalent of one new Congressional District? That might also fulfill the terms of your compromise...

It works for me. And thanks for the info on Rep. Rohrbacher's bill. It would fit this model nicely.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2004, 10:18:47 PM »

DC isn't big enough, IMO

It works for me. And thanks for the info on Rep. Rohrbacher's bill. It would fit this model nicely.

Yep, it's a compromise that could actually work. And you're welcome - I think I mentioned the bill before, but that was ages ago. Let's see if it can survive the partisans on both sides. Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2004, 10:42:20 PM »

As I mentioned before, no body that has no means of independenlty supporting itself should ever be given state status.  This means no to D.C.  No to Guam.  No to American Somoa.  Although I do support statehood for Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands (although, at this time they are a bit underpopulated, maybe if they were added to Puerto Rico).
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies