No growth in GDP-amount borrowed under Bush adminstration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:18:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  No growth in GDP-amount borrowed under Bush adminstration
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: No growth in GDP-amount borrowed under Bush adminstration  (Read 709 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2005, 06:39:39 PM »

See that orange line? All of the GDP growth in the Bush adminstration has come from borrowed money. Sooner or later that money has to be paid back.

Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 01:33:53 AM »

Can you define the "Net Borrowing" line?  I noticed it was negative even during the boom of the late 90's, so what is it?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 02:02:40 AM »

Can you define the "Net Borrowing" line?  I noticed it was negative even during the boom of the late 90's, so what is it?

I believe it's the amount borrowed from other countries minus the amount loaned to other countries.

As the other graphs here (http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2005/12/4/101241/258) show, we are a borrow and spend nation. We're living on borrowed time.

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 09:34:57 AM »

What the heck is "Billions of Chained 2000$?"
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 02:04:26 PM »

It took me a while to figure out what "Net Borrowing" is, but I think I got it.  It is the difference between U.S. assets owned overseas and Foreign assets owned in the U.S.  This difference rises from trade:

I = U.S. Imports
E = U.S. Exports
A = U.S. Assets gained in foreign countries
F = Foreign Assets gained in the U.S.

The assets are exchanged for goods traded in equal amounts:

E - I - (F - A) = 0

This equation can be seen the BEA's tables regarding International Transactions.  The amounts are summed and any difference from zero is labeled "statistical discrepancy".

E - I is net U.S. Exports (NX)
F - A is Net Borrowing (NB)

Rearrange terms and you get:

NX = NB

Now, how does this pertain to GDP?  The GDP measures production in a country.  This production is calculated by adding up what we spend in this country, minus what we spend outside the country.  Another variable is:

C = Consumption of domestically produced goods and services

Obviously, this value "C" is what we call GDP.  We can't measure C directly, so let's make a new variable called "C*":

C* = Domestic consumption of goods and services

Note that C* includes imports and excludes exports, because it only measures spending in the U.S., regardless of where the goods were produced.  In other words:

C* + E - I = GDP
C* + NX = GDP

From the above equation that relates NX with NB:

C* + NB = GDP

Now, in jferns' graph, NB is shown to be a negative number.  This is because NX is negative (we have a trade deficit).  The fallacy in the graph comes from this error: the numbers for the quantity dubbed "GDP Growth Less Borrowing" is calculated by adding the negative NB quantity.  In other words:

GDP* = "GDP Growth Less Borrowing"
GDP* = GDP + NB  (add NB to GDP for some reason)
GDP* = GDP + NX  (NX = NB)
GDP* = C* + NX + NX (GDP = C* + NX)
GDP* = C* + 2NX

In other words the "corrected" GDP value shown by the yellow line double counts the trade deficit!  This has no meaning in economics and therefore the DailyKos article's dire warnings are extrapolated from a fallacy.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 06:58:09 PM »

Jfern, I need more information.  Could you link me up to a few more links that shows how Bush's borrowing is damaging the United States?  I know that GDP growth is affected by personal spending AND government spending, and I also know that government spending (G) in that equation has shot through the roof; logically, therefore the GDP growth is due to, ... borrowing.

I'm being serious here; more links would be appreciated.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 07:09:30 PM »

Jfern, I need more information.  Could you link me up to a few more links that shows how Bush's borrowing is damaging the United States?  I know that GDP growth is affected by personal spending AND government spending, and I also know that government spending (G) in that equation has shot through the roof; logically, therefore the GDP growth is due to, ... borrowing.

I'm being serious here; more links would be appreciated.

What sort of links? It's probably raising interest rates, which could lead to some terrible positive feedback. It's not just the government, personal debt is also way up.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 10:14:02 PM »

Any links with material to read that you think is worthwhile reading.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies