Are fundamentalist Christians and fundamentalist Muslims all that different?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:41:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Are fundamentalist Christians and fundamentalist Muslims all that different?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Are fundamentalist Christians and fundamentalist Muslims all that different?  (Read 2392 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2005, 06:19:53 PM »

Okay so one group pickets abortion clinics and the other wage war, but if you actually sat Zarqawri and Bin Laden in a room with Phelps and Falwell they would probably get along pretty well. Bin Laden and Phelps could at least agree that God is 'punishing' America for what ever ills they can think up. They also both think only they are right and only they will be saved.

On the surface they appear to be the antithesis of each other, but they are both using religion to further their own agenda. On many issues, homsexuality, abortion, the position of women you can quite imagine quite a healthy banter between both sides reaching in some sort of stalemate.

It is generalisation of course, but if you look at each groups core beliefs and more importantly agenda you can see some warped similarities.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 06:22:48 PM »

you are completely right. Do they act different? yes. do they think different? Not really.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 06:23:50 PM »

Both sides preach hatred and wrath, and are collectively helping the world be flushed down the toilet.  So no, they're not all that different.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 06:53:43 PM »

So, do you all consider Jesus and the Apostles "fundamentalists"?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 07:06:00 PM »

no, no i dont. I have a great love for Jesus and would NEVER[/size] disgrace his name in such a way.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 07:09:16 PM »

no, no i dont. I have a great love for Jesus and would NEVER[/size] disgrace his name in such a way.

Precisely, thats what jmfcst is for Wink

No, but for their time they were rather radical, their association with prostitutes and the lowest parts of the society for which they preached compassion. Of course you prefer to wag your finger at those society looks down on rather than take their hand.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 07:16:18 PM »

You're right, afleitch, both have strayed away from the original ideas that founded their religion.  I mean, I've never read the Koran, nor researched the Muslim Religion, but I bet that they aren't much different then these people who look down and hate groups of people in the name of Jesus, when what he taught most of all was love and tolerence.
nlm
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 07:21:15 PM »

I'm not going to say that all fundamentalist Christians and Muslims use their religions to further their own ends. There are certainly quite a few that do, and quite a few more that get used. Of the ones that use their religion, there are certainly striking similarities between the Christians and the Muslims, and there are plenty of other parallels that can be drawn as well between the used, the users and the plain old fashion true believers on both sides. They are certainly not polar opposites.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 10:21:08 PM »

I think you are confusing fundamentalists with extremists.  There is nothing wrong with sticking to the fundamentals (Phelps for example), but when you cross over from sticking with the center of the philosophy and engaging in conflict in the name of fundamentalism (and ironically, going against what you are "defending"), you leave the position of being righteous and enter the polar-opposite position of being extremism.  I would list the leaders of the Crusades as extremists.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 11:26:42 PM »

They both are awful, although there is a difference, one simply take an awful religion to its extreme, while the other pervert and distort a wonderful religion.

And no, Jesus was nothing like the fundie types of today, he was the exact opposite, he was the revolutionary radical who was executed by the establishment regime and the fundies of the time (the Pharisees). That is the type of person I would follow to the death, back then, or today.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 11:56:30 PM »

You're right, afleitch, both have strayed away from the original ideas that founded their religion.  I mean, I've never read the Koran, nor researched the Muslim Religion, but I bet that they aren't much different then these people who look down and hate groups of people in the name of Jesus, when what he taught most of all was love and tolerence.

Hardly true. In Jesus' case yes. How many people did he kill? But in Mohammed's case, no. He was a violet warmonger.

There is nothing wrong with sticking to the fundamentals (Phelps for example)

So you think there is nothing wrong with this and this is the fundamentals of Christianity?

http://www.godhatesfags.com/featured/20050831_thank-god-for-katrina.html

And you think we should thank God for 9/11?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 11:57:51 PM »

Are we arguing that Fred Phelps is representative of fundamentalist Christians now?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 12:00:47 AM »

Are we arguing that Fred Phelps is representative of fundamentalist Christians now?

Well that's what MODU said. See his quote.

Know what's funny? I once was called the "Christian version of bin Laden" by a right winger. Like I'm a fundamentalist. HAHAHAHAHAHAAHA. I wonder what bin Laden thinks of strip clubs?
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 12:09:13 AM »

So, was Happy Hour today, or something?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 12:24:30 AM »

Let me rephrase my question, since you only gave a yes/no answer without explanation: 

How were Jesus and the Apostles not fundamentalists?

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2005, 01:58:37 AM »

Mohammed founded his "religion" in blood, war and conquest. Jesus came to deliver the word of God in a peaceful and benevolent manner. How are the two religions even alike?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2005, 08:01:32 AM »

They are the same.  The difference lies not in their repulsive natures, but in the fact that the christian fundamentalists have enormously greater power in the world than the islamic fundamentalists.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2005, 10:30:59 AM »

So you think there is nothing wrong with this and this is the fundamentals of Christianity?

Know what's funny? I once was called the "Christian version of bin Laden" by a right winger. Like I'm a fundamentalist. HAHAHAHAHAHAAHA. I wonder what bin Laden thinks of strip clubs?

No, I was giving an example.  Phelps might be a down right biggot, but he's not out killing people in name of God.  That's why he's only a  fundamentalist.  If he were an extremist, like your terror cell leaders, then he would be out there ordering the killings of "fags" (to use the term in the website you listed) in the name of God, which is contradictory to what the scriptures actually say.  But like with anything, it only takes a hand full of bad apples to spoil the bunch.  So while Phelps is a fundamentalist, he doesn't represent the majority; however, he's not an extremist either.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2005, 10:35:48 AM »

Just because Phelps has not physically killed anyone or got anyone to do it for him does not mean that he cannot be classified as an extremist.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 11:03:21 AM »

Just because Phelps has not physically killed anyone or got anyone to do it for him does not mean that he cannot be classified as an extremist.

He's not preaching the murdering of others in the name of his religion.  Therefore, I wouldn't list him as an extremist as we have terrorists listed as extremists.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2005, 11:21:42 AM »

No, I was giving an example.  Phelps might be a down right biggot, but he's not out killing people in name of God.  That's why he's only a  fundamentalist.  If he were an extremist, like your terror cell leaders, then he would be out there ordering the killings of "fags" (to use the term in the website you listed) in the name of God, which is contradictory to what the scriptures actually say.  But like with anything, it only takes a hand full of bad apples to spoil the bunch.  So while Phelps is a fundamentalist, he doesn't represent the majority; however, he's not an extremist either.

So who's more extremist, someone like Phelps, or say, the UVF who did kill people and then afterwords went to deal drugs and screw prostitutes?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2005, 11:29:12 AM »

So who's more extremist, someone like Phelps, or say, the UVF who did kill people and then afterwords went to deal drugs and screw prostitutes?

UVF?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2005, 11:38:19 AM »

UVF?

Ulster Volunteer Force, largest Northern Ireland loyalist paramilitary group, while the fighting there was nationalistic and not religiously motiviated, the Portestant loyalists did claim that the republicans who wanted to join Ireland were fighting for a puppet state controlled by the Pope who they saw as some sort of Antichrist and most claimed that they were defenders of Protestantism (which was really complete bullsh!t and they probably knew it, but the point still stands)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2005, 11:52:43 AM »

UVF?

Ulster Volunteer Force, largest Northern Ireland loyalist paramilitary group, while the fighting there was nationalistic and not religiously motiviated, the Portestant loyalists did claim that the republicans who wanted to join Ireland were fighting for a puppet state controlled by the Pope who they saw as some sort of Antichrist and most claimed that they were defenders of Protestantism (which was really complete bullsh!t and they probably knew it, but the point still stands)

Then based off of what you have written, the UVF are more extreme.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2005, 11:55:33 AM »

What a silly post, that is all I will say.

And, did Rev. Falwell ever applaud or support Eric Rudolph's bombing attacks on abortion clinics?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies